Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690455
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 68451 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2019, 08:57:40 AM »
My own house are avoiding spoilers by binge watching all 7 previous seasons... and we will wait till the DVD box set comes out. I can separate my love of the books from the entirely different treatment in the series. I have no doubt that the body count in the final act will equal all the other seasons put together. For as we all know 'the night is dark and full of terrors'... My money's on wildfire, dragonglass and dragonfire winning out. Not everything that freezes is destroyed, but fire will do for all...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
Anyone else finding the wait until the next Game of Thrones ep reeeaaaaaaalllly long?  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
lol
Yep!
Not long to go now... watch episode 2 again, n case you missed something  ;)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2019, 09:10:43 PM »
So obviously Ep 3 is going to be the big battle against the Night King, and lots of characters will be killed off.....

If the bad guys are defeated in this episode though - what next? That leaves 3 episodes to deal with the other villain, Cersei. Do you think that's what will happen? 3 episodes against the Night King, then the survivors head south and we have 3 episodes against Cersei?

Or perhaps something that sees the two storylines entwined a bit more? Say, they think they have defeated the Army of the Dead, and head south, but it's not all quite over....

In the books, I am much more interested in the politics and power struggles than the Others. However I feel in the show that the political side has got pretty boring, it's now at the stage that 'everyone is friends, or dead, except Cersei.' So I'm hoping the last 3 episodes give us more apocalyptic Long Night ice age zombie horror (and give it the real sense of DREAD that the books have managed to achieve), rather than just trying to unseat Cersei, which would be quite dull I think.

Or even better.... Perhaps the third and ultimate conflict will be Jon vs Daenarys, or a general breakdown of unity and all-round fuck-up that ends up showing how the power struggle for the Iron Throne is ultimately pointless, and no one gets to be King/Queen? That will be the most satisfying end I feel. If it ends with Jon and Dany sitting on the Iron Throne together and ruling wisely til the rest of their days, I might puke.....

• Scientist
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »
I think there is something in the crypts at Winterfell and Kings Landings that will upset all the applecarts (the new credits hint at this), so I don't think the last few episodes will be boring or predictable.

Still, here is my prediction-ish: Jon is the only person keeping everything together in the "we're all friends vs Cersei" picture Charlie mentions above. If he dies soon, things get very interesting and unpredictable. As I said upthread, it wouldn't surprise me if he dies in ep3 taking out the night king. I think that is what he wants to do - he doesn't want to rule, he just wants to defeat the dead.

But rarely in GoT do characters get to die the way they want! :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
But rarely in GoT do characters get to die the way they want! :)
I agree - "Valar Morghulis, valar dohaeris" is probably Martin's mission statement for ASOIAF!

• Scientist
« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2019, 09:11:12 AM »
Hmmmmmmmm. Interested to hear what other people made of ep.3.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2019, 10:06:12 AM »
I have not seen yet but I am at the last pages of this one...

..and I have to say I feel dirty and bloated with blood and gore after reading it.    :?

It is worse than the ASoIaF, as it is much lacking in subtle character complexity. I know that the whole universe of G R R Martins books is supposed to be a reflection of the history of our own world but all the violence, rape and cruelty against men and women; infants to old is worse in 'Fire & Blood'. There is no counter point, or at least not enough of it imo, in this book, which makes it very much a study in misery, which  I really got enough of half through.,

There are however some new ideas for wargaming scenarios, especially involving dragons. They are not invulnerable to a dedicated team of humans.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:34:19 PM by Hammers »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2019, 02:36:38 PM »
[SPOILER]

They really should have seen that coming, even though I didn't. Where's the best place to hide during an undead infestation? Probably not in a crypt.

[/SPOILER]
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2019, 03:21:29 PM »
Military Lesson #1: "Time spent on reconnaissance is rarely wasted."

Military Lesson #2: "Military engineering exists to keep your enemy in the killing ground.  Kill him while he's delayed by it."

Military Lesson #3: "Don't deploy your army in front of the f&%*ing military engineering."
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
Military Lesson #1: "Time spent on reconnaissance is rarely wasted."

Military Lesson #2: "Military engineering exists to keep your enemy in the killing ground.  Kill him while he's delayed by it."

Military Lesson #3: "Don't deploy your army in front of the f&%*ing military engineering."

Quite.

I must rewatch Ep2 when they had the strategy meeting...for starters I don’t think the Dothraki were listening (in character I guess), but why stick the catapults outside the walls...and then barely use them, why not use the Unsullied to man the walls?

That said, I enjoyed the mayhem....much more so when I’d turned up the brightness on my TV.

Looking forward to the last 3 episodes.

:)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2019, 04:55:36 PM »
Yeah, the dark and murky look was tiresome. That same thing made "Solo" less enjoyable than it might have been and now they've done it to GoT, too. Was hard to tell what was happening half the time.

It's that bloody Emilia Clarke, it must be!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #358 on: April 29, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »
Yeah, I found the lack of use of the siege weapons weird. I assumed they deployed outside the walls because there was not enough room inside.

Also, did Jon's dragon die, or did it just land and he fell off? Hard to tell with all the darkness...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

• Scientist
« Reply #359 on: April 29, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »

Sorry, A FEW SPOILERS HERE!!

+1 for finding the murkiness annoying. Still not sure if Sam is dead. Was sure Brienne and Greyworm died at points, but then that was because I couldn't see properly - then they show up later.

Didn't enjoy the episode much as I'd hoped. The battle got boring, and as soon as the red lady said "Some eyes are blue" I knew Arya would save the day. Shame, as I am hoping she gets Cersei - but then Season 8 will basically be Super-Arya-kills-all-the-baddies. She's the best character imho, but still, GoT shouldn't play out like that.

Best bit: the night king raising reinforcements. Made me realise that strategy is pointless against the NK. Unless you kill him, doesn't matter what you do, you're going to lose. So I didn't mind too much about the silly battle strategy. Also thought the Dothraki light brigade charge made sense. Your cavalry just got a whole bunch of apparently magic weapons? Doesn't seem so silly to try them out.

I'm now most looking forward to seeing what Jaime chooses to do next. Whose side will he choose? Assuming he survives Bron, of course.

Oh yeah, no idea if the 2nd dragon died, but I hope so. Two dragons would make the fight against Cersei a bit too easy, even with no Dothraki (RIP).