Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 67917 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #330 on: April 22, 2019, 11:21:04 PM »

Personally I’ve always felt that the whole white walkers storyline was a red herring from the core tale that GRRM set out to write in the first place, which was a pseudo-medieval Wars of the Roses style dynastic struggle with politics, skullduggery, sex and extreme violence.

Targaryen, Stark, Lannister, Baratheon - all still in play. That’s what the denouement is going to be concerned with. And so much more enthralling than hordes of zombies.
I agree- way more interesting. The White walkers are like a side show. :D

Based on the pairings provided by AKULA my guesses for "Who doesn't make it alive to see the final credits?" are:
Gendry... Theon... Greyworm... both Jamie and Brianne... and Danys (yeah, that's right  :o,  I think she dies in a heroic CGI flying dragon battle where she sacrifices herself to destroy the King of the Dead. Mr. Martin, if you are reading this feel free to pinch that for the novel  :D).

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2019, 04:54:09 AM »
Grey Worm and Missandei were making plans for the future. At least one of them is definitely going to die!

Afraid Theon is also not long for this world, he and Sansa were just too sweet together. Brienne may not make it out alive either (Jaime has to survive, to rid the world of Cersei). Wonder if Bronn is going to show up as some point? Couldn't care less about Dany to be honest. She has become increasingly repetitive and annoying. Has no chemistry with Jon anyway. Would be a lot easier without her too.

Guess if it takes the entire episode to fight and defeat the dead, it will more or less be ok. Trouble is that a quick ending will make it seem too easy, while there simply isn't much time to drag it out too long. A castle under siege doesn't make a retreat likely either (otherwise, being defeated at first, then rallying and defeating the White Walkers could work). But yeah. People are going to die.

Great song too by the way (first by Podrick, then over the credits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTa1jHk1Lxc&t=0s
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2019, 07:05:02 AM »

Targaryen, Stark, Lannister, Baratheon - all still in play. That’s what the denouement is going to be concerned with. And so much more enthralling than hordes of zombies.

Thinking about it some more, Jon Snow is going to die at Winterfell, isn't he? It works on a couple of levels: it makes sense characterwise (he doesn't want to be king and can't be with Dany any more; to save the North is all he's really living for and has been for a while).
It also makes sense plot-wise as he is the character keeping the alliance together. Without him, Dany and Sansa pursue their own interests, Arya can champion Gendry's claim to the throne, and Cersei can try to play them off against each other while Tyrion has something to do trying to hold it all together.
Finally, it creates a "shock death" for the viewers (and sticks one in the eye of the fans complaining about plot armour last season).

It'll be a bit boring if Jon dies and so does the night king. Things will get interesting if the latter survives, though I don't think they have the time to drag this story out and deal with the confrontation with Cersei .

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2019, 07:18:40 AM »
I will be mightily vexed if Cersei doesn't kick the bucket.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
Personally I’ve always felt that the whole white walkers storyline was a red herring from the core tale that GRRM set out to write in the first place, which was a pseudo-medieval Wars of the Roses style dynastic struggle with politics, skullduggery, sex and extreme violence.

Arguing against myself for a moment here... To be fair, the very first scene of the very first book (and indeed the opening of episode 1 of the HBO series) started with some unfortunates north of The Wall being hunted down by White Walkers, so I guess it's always been part of the plan. But I still feel that the thing that drives the main thrust of the story is the dynastic struggle between the great houses of Westeros, and that the Night King is very much a sub-plot...
But that might just be my bias against what are essentially zombies. (Unlike seemingly the other 99% of humanity, zombies hold no interest or attraction for me whatsoever :))

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the three characters that George R R Martin visibly loves the most - and identifies with, so would NEVER kill off are Arya, Tyrion and Jon Snow. Although I've also heard that list as Arya, Tyrion and Daenerys... In any event, if you subscribe to this analysis of the Martin psyche, Tyrion and Arya will survive. One of Jon and Daenerys, possibly not... Can't see Cersei surviving it. GRRM might go for such an unconventional ending where the manifestation of evil self-interest ends up winning the game, but then it's not really his story any more. I can't see Weiss and Benioff going for anything other than a Hollywood ending where someone vaguely good and deserving wins the day, and the evildoers all get their come-uppance.

But I'll get back to you on that in 4 weeks' time  lol

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »
To be fair, the very first scene of the very first book (and indeed the opening of episode 1 of the HBO series) started with some unfortunates north of The Wall being hunted down by White Walkers, so I guess it's always been part of the plan.

The title of the whole series also sorta gives it away - zombies vs dragons.  ;)

But yeah, this is one problem I've always had with GoT, both the books and TV series. It can't decide whether it is the Wars of the Roses or the War of the Ring. I think we're meant to see the night king as one more claimant to the iron throne (in a way), but it doesn't work in practice because, among other reasons, Westeros is also just meant to be the battlefield in which the struggle between ice and fire plays out.

Just my rambling 2 cents  :)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2019, 05:14:24 PM »
 I am thinking that the young girl in the latest episode who wants to fight is the Waif and has came for Arya.Been good so far and looking forward to the next episode.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
I am thinking that the young girl in the latest episode who wants to fight is the Waif and has came for Arya.Been good so far and looking forward to the next episode.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2019, 07:39:00 PM »
Based on the pairings provided by AKULA my guesses for "Who doesn't make it alive to see the final credits?" are:
Gendry... Theon... Greyworm... both Jamie and Brianne

Not so much the final credits...I’m expecting a high body count in Episode 3.

Jamie has been looking to write his page in that Book of Knights, so expect another attempt at a heroic death...remember that suicidal charge to take out Dany (ignoring the dragon she was good next to)? Will he succeed this time, or will Brienne die saving him ?

I’m also expecting the crypt to become a death trap (no pun intended) ...either the Night King reanimates the dead, or there is some sort of tunnel from outside that the thousands of years old Night King knows about...maybe he is even a Stark? Why? Because Dany sent Tyrion down there for safety...plus the scene with the waif who wants to fight.

BTW - does anyone else think that Theon is the last person in Westeros you’d entrust to protect the Three-eyed Raven? Yes I know, in movie world it is all about one last chance for redemption, but if you’d lived through the events of the last 7 seasons you’d be thinking that this guy has failed at everything....

Offline General Ballroom

• Student
« Reply #340 on: April 24, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »

Watched ep2 a couple of times today...just watching now for the third time - am sure there will be those that say “no big battle...BORING...” but in the context of the 18 month wait, ep2 was all about reminding us of the characters we’ve become attached to...before they get brutally slain in the next four episodes.

Was it just me or was the 2nd episode more boring than the 1st?

I enjoyed the first couple of series, quite exciting, more exciting than the books (I had to resort to listening to the 2-3 volumes on audio books....) but it just seems that the denouement is a fudge to bring everything to a neat close, almost like George RRRRR Martin never really knew how it was going to end.... just saying......

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #341 on: April 25, 2019, 01:48:33 AM »
... it just seems that the denouement is a fudge to bring everything to a neat close, almost like George RRRRR Martin never really knew how it was going to end.... just saying......
It is a concern I have...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #342 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »
It is a concern I have...

A bit like  the  TV  series  'Lost'

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »
Was it just me or was the 2nd episode more boring than the 1st?

I enjoyed the first couple of series, quite exciting, more exciting than the books (I had to resort to listening to the 2-3 volumes on audio books....) but it just seems that the denouement is a fudge to bring everything to a neat close, almost like George RRRRR Martin never really knew how it was going to end.... just saying......
Pretty sure he knows how it ends, just no clue how to get there! He can (and does) take years figuring out how character A with knowledge of X can get to character B in place Y at the same time as character C does Z. The showrunners, meanwhile, are pressed for time and rather less interested in the fine details, so just merge characters A and C, and AC then teleports across the continent whenever the plot desires it. Neither is exactly optimal.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #344 on: April 25, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
Despite the frequent contrasting of GRRM with JRRT, he is on the record as a fan, and when asked about the type of ending ASOIAF will have, he has said something along the lines of LOTR:

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2015/11/george-r-r-martin-my-ending-will-reflect-the-lord-of-the-rings/