Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686463
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 67884 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2019, 08:23:47 AM »
I read an interview the other day (will see if I can dig it out) where GRRM hinted that the weather cycle wasn’t natural (either the Night King or something else). It was noticeable that the blizzard followed the NK, and the storm broke after he was killed.

I agree, I liked the look of them, although I don’t fancy having to paint loads of those shields  :D

Could definitely have done with a few more wide shots of them to build the tension (and convey the scale), but there was more than a few dozen...

Interesting that there are a few holes in the line...lack of discipline compared to the Unsullied, or are these the ones that Euron killed on the voyage over...   ;)

There was a scene later with Tyrion walking through the shattered gates where there were a whole bunch of Golden Company running away from the city, so I took it as the rest broke left and right ...away from the breach, and the charging Targaryen/Northern forces.

A quick estimation gives about a 1000 in the scope of that image. But I guess what Richard is talking about is the lack of  screentime for the GC. Personally I liked "the  flight of Harry Strickland" sequence before he was perforated by Grey Worm.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
The dragon fire did frustrate me (don't get me wrong, I though it was a great episode) but the fire instantly smashing down masonry?
The death that I regret the most was The Hound, He showed the most change in the series to quite a likable character. Glad he didn't have his head popped though.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
I find myself getting more frustrated as this draws to a close!

Characters motivations and ethics change at will with seeming little or no reasoning! Daenerys and Cersei being the two obvious ones. I understand they wanted the Dragon Queen to go nuts, but would a better story if she was at the end of her tether.

Jon Snow and her join forces to face and defeat the Night King. In the process she loses half of her army. The Lannister’s, by not joining to fight the white walkers, still have a full strength army. Jon snow lets her know about his heritage, which she struggles to accept personally. Both of them go down to Kings Landing to take Cersei off of throne. In doing so, the attack on Kings Landing takes a heavy toll on her, killing her beloved Unsullied, Tyrion, Dothraki AND Jon Snow, and leaving her on the brink of crushing defeat. Realising that ALL is lost, and finally admitting Jon Snow would have been the better ruler, she takes out her suicidal rage on the Lannister forces and goes for Cersei. Cersei being a manipulative, scheming bitch, has set wildfire charges to blow up her own people and make it look like Daenerys did it, but her engineers miscalculate and bring the Red Keep crumbling down around about the two queens as Daenerys makes to kill her. Throw in Jamie trying to rescue Cersei from Daenerys, the fight between the Dog and Mountain and you have an episode!

Cersei has been a hard bitch the whole way through the series, only to break down crying at the end?!?

As for the Scorpions easy killing dragons in one episode to being fucking useless on the next!!....that’s just sloppy writing!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2019, 06:07:53 PM »
Regarding the Golden Company, they were used simply to show the power of the dragon - I liked it. It reminded me of the way George Lucas used the sail barge in RotJ - after it taking weeks of worker hours to construct he just blew it up... Just because something is beautiful doesn't mean it lasts forever, and because of that it has more impact.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
It’s becoming politicised? Dragons and zombies? Hilarious.

Just as a small aside, zombies and horror have been used (almost since their inception) for social and therefore political commentary...

Zombies have also been used in philosophy as imaginary creatures designed to illuminate problems about consciousness and its relation to the physical world.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:29 PM »
Regarding the Golden Company, they were used simply to show the power of the dragon - I liked it. It reminded me of the way George Lucas used the sail barge in RotJ - after it taking weeks of worker hours to construct he just blew it up... Just because something is beautiful doesn't mean it lasts forever, and because of that it has more impact.

Are you serious?!? What impact? It was just CGI on CGI action and it could've been any mercenary company or rows of potted plants. If I'm not mistaken, the dive bombing run on the ships was reused footage from the Mereen battle.   

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #471 on: May 15, 2019, 04:27:42 AM »
On the plus there weren't hundreds of masons and carpenters crying off camera

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #472 on: May 15, 2019, 08:59:10 AM »
Are you serious?!? What impact? It was just CGI on CGI action and it could've been any mercenary company or rows of potted plants. If I'm not mistaken, the dive bombing run on the ships was reused footage from the Mereen battle.   

You are mistaken.

See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9QQMXTftY&t=72s

..which I fond jaw-droppingly impressive. The built 17 streets in the backlot of the studio and  a wall of containers to keep the press out.
This "how we did it" confirms that there really is no substitute for live action at close quatrers. The did try it a lot in The Hobbit, i suspect that is why it feels so much more artificial than the  LotR flick.

I  seriously recommend all fans and cineasts to watch that Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 5  "Game Revealed" from HBO. I got as much of a kick out of it as I did from the broadcassted episode.

I also recommeend all those dissappointed in the plot choices of David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to take a gander at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8j6wOvxuo&t=311s
, Game of Thrones | Season 8 Episode 5 | Inside the Episode. I am not satisified with all turns of events myself, but I respect the process they are going through to keep tying everything together. All in  all I think they have done a good job. As for TV entertainment, I think it is safe to say the show is  sans pareil.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:10:23 AM by Hammers »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #473 on: May 15, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the dive bombing run on the ships was reused footage from the Mereen battle.   

Sorry, but you are mistaken, the Mereen battle had different ship designs, the sky was crisscrossed with flaming missiles, and Daenerys wore a different outfit.

(Edit) ah, Hammers beat me to it....  lol
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:11:19 AM by AKULA »

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #474 on: May 15, 2019, 10:34:23 AM »
As for TV entertainment, I think it is safe to say the show is  sans pareil.

The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy, Godless, Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica... Humm... I beg to difer.  ;)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #475 on: May 15, 2019, 12:16:11 PM »
You are mistaken.

See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9QQMXTftY&t=72s

..which I fond jaw-droppingly impressive. The built 17 streets in the backlot of the studio and  a wall of containers to keep the press out.
This "how we did it" confirms that there really is no substitute for live action at close quatrers. The did try it a lot in The Hobbit, i suspect that is why it feels so much more artificial than the  LotR flick.

I  seriously recommend all fans and cineasts to watch that Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 5  "Game Revealed" from HBO. I got as much of a kick out of it as I did from the broadcassted episode.

I also recommeend all those dissappointed in the plot choices of David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to take a gander at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8j6wOvxuo&t=311s
, Game of Thrones | Season 8 Episode 5 | Inside the Episode. I am not satisified with all turns of events myself, but I respect the process they are going through to keep tying everything together. All in  all I think they have done a good job. As for TV entertainment, I think it is safe to say the show is  sans pareil.
So what? I get it, you're a show fan, so reasonable criticisms are simply dismissed...

I wasn't referring to the street fights, but the Golden Company's destruction.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:20:45 PM by Condottiere »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #476 on: May 15, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
Sorry, but you are mistaken, the Mereen battle had different ship designs, the sky was crisscrossed with flaming missiles, and Daenerys wore a different outfit.

(Edit) ah, Hammers beat me to it....  lol
I wasn't referring to the close ups or the CGI arrows...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #477 on: May 15, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
It really takes some acting to make me (and apparently  many others) to hate Cersei as much as I do.
If you think staring down, looking like you're constipated or disappointed,  in almost every scene, throughout the series constitutes good acting... lol

Headey is better than Clarke in displaying emotion, but below any of those older actors killed off in earlier seasons. Gleeson was better at drawing out the hate towards a character.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #479 on: May 15, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »
Ha, "injury-time character development", I like that.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...