Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:59:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689290
  • Total Topics: 118270
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 68315 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #540 on: May 20, 2019, 07:37:30 AM »
Not a spoiler at all, and despite overwhelming literary evidence to the contrary, according to filmmakers Middle Earth and Westeros share a unique feature in warfare - they never invented the ditch/moat!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #541 on: May 20, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »
I know Harold did well getting from Stamford Bridge to Senlac, but Jon's Northerners were apparently capable of doing a tad over 400 miles march in 3 days according to Jon in S8 (the Trident to K Landing). Presumably they have HS2 in Westeros...

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #542 on: May 20, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
Okay, stayed up late last night to watch the last episode and wow what a total waste of time (and loss of sleep!). For the avoidance of any doubt, the last episode (and most of the last season) just plain SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Let's not beat around the bush, the writers and directors for GoT screwed this one up royally! 

So voice your displeasure at bad writing (the actors did what they could with the script given to them) and ask for a remake by signing the petition!

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers?source_location=discover_feed

It probably won't happen but let the HBO Execs know that they can't keep screwing things up without consequences!

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #543 on: May 20, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »
I don't think it sucked. Rushed hell yes, all it could be NO. But that's the show since season 5. It started like Lord of the rings and ended like the hobbit movies in a sense. I can see why it's a colossal project to undertake i'd burn out too which is probably why show runners should know when to hand a project over but probably can't fit legal reasons etc.

Can anyone else see Jon abandoning the nights watch to live with the free folk? No one can stop him. The nights watch is too small, Sansa won't care, noone south would care and the second the unsullied handed back the city they became weaker than any full army in Westeros.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #544 on: May 20, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
How about all those people who named their daughters Daenarys or Khaleesi? How do they feel about season 8? ;)
Sailors have more fun!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #545 on: May 20, 2019, 10:21:42 AM »
Mad as a brush!

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #546 on: May 20, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »
 lol I never thought of that!? Makes it even funnier now.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #547 on: May 20, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
Mind you 'Dracarys Bloggs' still has a certain ring to it!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #548 on: May 20, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
lol I never thought of that!? Makes it even funnier now.

Isn’t it?!  lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #549 on: May 20, 2019, 11:07:35 AM »
I don't think it sucked. Rushed hell yes, all it could be NO. But that's the show since season 5. It started like Lord of the rings and ended like the hobbit movies in a sense. I can see why it's a colossal project to undertake i'd burn out too which is probably why show runners should know when to hand a project over but probably can't fit legal reasons etc.

Can anyone else see Jon abandoning the nights watch to live with the free folk? No one can stop him. The nights watch is too small, Sansa won't care, noone south would care and the second the unsullied handed back the city they became weaker than any full army in Westeros.
I heard one train of thought saying that the whole thing about sending Jon to the Nights Watch was just a plan of Bran so that Jon could go North and live out his days with the Wildlings as the Night's Watch is a completely pointless group now anyway. Makes sense to me. But yes, Jon's character would honour his debt I am sure, especially after killing the woman he loved.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #550 on: May 20, 2019, 11:24:49 AM »

Neither do I. It  was an ending of an extremely complex weave and I am petty sure that GRRM, if he  ever comes  to it, will make a better job  of it. What I liked and what I found consistent is there was a mix of exepcted and unexpected turns of events. I did not foress Bran becomeing the king just to mention one., I was in two mind whether house Targaryen would continue to rule. I sort of hope for a specatuler end to the last, litteral, dragon. But, as I have said before, in the chronicles of the House Targaryen, there examples of a few dragons taking off (as Drogon had done before).

After these 8 season I sort of feel like I sometimes do after a really big shindig: content, nostalgic, a bit annoyed with details and slightly hungover.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #551 on: May 20, 2019, 01:26:53 PM »
I did not foress Bran becomeing the king just to mention one

But that is the entire problem with the way the show ran...as they develop all these characters and then fail to bring things through...and instead give the crown to 'Bran the Broken' because he was being a peeping tom and got shoved out of a window by Jamie Lannister (one of my fav characters). That said, I don't think Jon Snow was fit to rule anyone, let along lead an army. He proved time and time again to be useless. In the first battle of Winterfell we charges right into a battle and gets his army encircled! At the second battle of Winterfell he sits on his dragon on the ground for ages instead of toasting the undead, which would have saved some lives. Then before the gates of King's Landing he does bugger all...and once the city is breached, he can't even control his own forces. What sorta leader is that? Not a good one! I could go on and on but Jon Snow is useless. Heck, he kisses Dany for sticking her in the gut. And where was Dany's guards to make sure a heavily armed Jon Snow was allowed in...the only weapon Snow didn't bring was a scorpion! Just bad writing and a plot my 7 yr old could better write.

While the show has been entertaining at times it has also demonstrated a lot of failures for such a resource-intensive show. HBO should be ashamed at this. This is right up there with the Soprano's crap ending, True Detective Season 3 (where the lead detective gets dementia and can't remember who the person is! Ahhhhhhhh!), etc....just a long line of bad story telling.

Well at least we have Chernobyl, which is looking pretty good with two (2) episodes thus far....and a Deadwood movie that looks promising.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #552 on: May 20, 2019, 01:37:07 PM »
But that is the entire problem with the way the show ran...as they develop all these characters and then fail to bring things through...and instead give the crown to 'Bran the Broken' because he was being a peeping tom and got shoved out of a window by Jamie Lannister (one of my fav characters). That said, I don't think Jon Snow was fit to rule anyone, let along lead an army. He proved time and time again to be useless. In the first battle of Winterfell we charges right into a battle and gets his army encircled! At the second battle of Winterfell he sits on his dragon on the ground for ages instead of toasting the undead, which would have saved some lives. Then before the gates of King's Landing he does bugger all...and once the city is breached, he can't even control his own forces. What sorta leader is that? Not a good one! I could go on and on but Jon Snow is useless. Heck, he kisses Dany for sticking her in the gut. And where was Dany's guards to make sure a heavily armed Jon Snow was allowed in...the only weapon Snow didn't bring was a scorpion! Just bad writing and a plot my 7 yr old could better write.

While the show has been entertaining at times it has also demonstrated a lot of failures for such a resource-intensive show. HBO should be ashamed at this. This is right up there with the Soprano's crap ending, True Detective Season 3 (where the lead detective gets dementia and can't remember who the person is! Ahhhhhhhh!), etc....just a long line of bad story telling.

Well at least we have Chernobyl, which is looking pretty good with two (2) episodes thus far....and a Deadwood movie that looks promising.

You read my mind... even the part on Chernobyl!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #553 on: May 20, 2019, 03:45:11 PM »
Oddly enough I wasn't disappointed... I was prepared for much worse.

I think we all knew Danerys was going to to die but I thought Jon was done too. I figured Sansa would end up queen of everything.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #554 on: May 20, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
Not a spoiler at all, and despite overwhelming literary evidence to the contrary, according to filmmakers Middle Earth and Westeros share a unique feature in warfare - they never invented the ditch/moat!

Well, there was Moat Cailin, though the water obstacle appears to have been a natural feature. Riverrun had one of the more traditional kind, I seem to recall, which Brynden Tully (Blackfish) managed to swim.