Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 67891 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #555 on: May 20, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
Never watched the series but I love the memes  lol

This is my favorite :)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #557 on: May 20, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
That was a really interesting article by Prof Tufekci, and highly relevant to how things are today. People don't know how to tell stories and understand what shapes/creates them. Clearly the writing team of GoT doesn't understand how to write...and apparently they moved onto Star Wars where they will destroy that (and some of it was pretty bad already!).

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #558 on: May 20, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
It seemed very anticlimactic to me. The death of Dany was rushed and without much wow factor.
Bran as the king was lame. Basically, the writers could have picked anyone to be king/Queen. There
was nothing in the show that would make you see Bran becoming king. You watch eight years for the
writers to throw a dart at a board and say "He will be the king at the end." Gendry would have made better
sense.

Jon simply can't keep any vow he has ever made. A vow to the Night Watch, he broke it. A vow to
be King of the North, he broke it. A vow to follow Queen Dany, broke that too. A vow to go back to the
Night Watch, nope he rides off. Hey, a great hero uh.

So the North can go independent but not the Iron Isles who have been fighting for independence the whole show?
Yara just sat there and voted for Bran. Right.

Then, all the leaders will come together and pick the bestest king from now on. Really Sesame Street ending there.

Overall, Meh for me.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #559 on: May 20, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »
As I look back on season 8, I can only remember 4 scenes that I actually liked:

1. Brienne being kighted (not that I'm a fan of aristocracy, but she has always been committed to the ideals of knighthood)

2. Watching Drogon melt down the Iron Throne (I've always hated that hideous thing)

3. Sam suggesting that all the people vote for a king to a bunch of aristocrats

4. Tyrion, Bron, Davos, & Sam bickering about government business at the end
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #560 on: May 20, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »
Not really sure I how feel. I kind of enjoyed it while it was happening, but I've felt that way about every episode this time, only for the episodes to fester in my mind and get worse as time goes on and the more I think about them. Maybe the key is to not think about it!  lol

Whatever else happened and how I feel about it, I loved the scene where Tyrion found the bodies of Jaime and Cersei. Peter Dinklage is great when you give him something to work with. Pity we haven't had much of that in recent years. I don't think that character has had anything interesting to do since he shot Charles Dance on the toilet with a crossbow.

Ere, that sounds like something out of Cluedo, doesn't it? Tyrion, in the toilet with the crossbow. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #561 on: May 20, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »
It seemed very anticlimactic to me. The death of Dany was rushed and without much wow factor.

Jon simply can't keep any vow he has ever made. A vow to the Night Watch, he broke it. A vow to
be King of the North, he broke it. A vow to follow Queen Dany, broke that too. A vow to go back to the
Night Watch, nope he rides off. Hey, a great hero uh.

So the North can go independent but not the Iron Isles who have been fighting for independence the whole show?
Yara just sat there and voted for Bran. Right.

For the Death of Daenarys I was hoping for something more along the lines of Julius Caesar, with Dany turning to say, with several knives sticking in her, "You too, Jon?"

Never liked Jon. In the book he personally killed my favorite character in the whole series, Ygritte.

Yeah, with the destruction of King's Landing, and the slagging of the Iron Throne, it would have been the perfect time for the Seven Kingdoms to go their separate ways (especially the Iron Islands).

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #562 on: May 20, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »
I kind of enjoyed it while it was happening, but I've felt that way about every episode this time, only for the episodes to fester in my mind and get worse as time goes on and the more I think about them. Maybe the key is to not think about it!  lol

Haha, I'm mostly the opposite. I don't always enjoy the episodes while watching them, but afterwards start thinking about them and filling in some of the stuff the script gestures to/leaves open, filling in the blanks. Then it makes more sense and I feel happier about it.

Totally agree about Peter Dinklage though. GRRM removing him from the centre of power where his scheming is so interesting was a plot mistake.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #563 on: May 20, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »
Yeah, but why does Sandor wait all his adult life before deciding to go kill him?

Until the assault on Winterfell by the Night King he loses hope on a regular basis (as per the Battle of Blackwater)...he is big, and has the bravado of a bully (like his brother) but he lacks conviction. He gains that...finally...when he goes to rescue Arya...he faces death and says f@#& it!

Lazy fan-fiction of an ending after eight years...

Can't wait for the reboot!

To be fair the biggest surprise from the last episode would have been if you liked it

;)

Can anyone else see Jon abandoning the nights watch to live with the free folk?

Completely

I loved the scene where Tyrion found the bodies of Jaime and Cersei. Peter Dinklage is great when you give him something to work with. Pity we haven't had much of that in recent years. I don't think that character has had anything interesting to do since he shot Charles Dance on the toilet with a crossbow.

Fantastic actor, and like you said underused towards the end.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #564 on: May 20, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
Overall, I enjoyed the arc of the 8 seasons...but I would have loved to have seen a bit more blood, and a bit less “let’s sit around and discuss our differences” in the last feature length episode....specifically Jon and Greyworm fighting it out.

Once Dany was dead, it would have been more satisfying to have seen the northmen, perhaps with the assistance of any remaining Lannister’s, and the populace of Kings Landing, fighting back against the Unsullied and Dothraki.

A couple of things did bother me specifically...

Firstly, Bronn - Lord of Highgarden and Master of Coin....did anyone apart from Tyrion that was present at the talks at the Dragon Arena actually know who Bronn was? Lord Royce May have remembered him, but he was just a sellsword (who served the Lannister’s) and commanded no soldiers...why would anyone give him Highgarden...his deal was with Tyrion and Jamie...no one else.

Secondly, Bran....has he just pulled off the ultimate coup? He can see the past/future and warg, but hasn’t exactly been a massive help.

What he has done is pressure Sam to tell Jon he is the Targaryen heir to the throne, presumably safe in the knowledge that the secret will get out, and that eventually he will kill Dany....oh, and that he will himself then be offered the throne.

He didn’t warn anyone about the impending firestorm, and he was very happy to bundle Jon off to the Wall...is it a “reward” because Jon loves the north, or actually a convenient way of getting rid of a claimant to the throne.

“Bran the Broken” or “Bran the schemer”?  Certainly “Bran the Dull”..I’d be plotting against him from Day One...but then he’d probably already know that...duh!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #565 on: May 20, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »
Loved it. Sure it was rushed, but we all knew it would be. A good ending to the series and in style.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #566 on: May 20, 2019, 08:53:57 PM »
Loved it. Sure it was rushed, but we all knew it would be. A good ending to the series and in style.

So were you drinking when you watched it??? ;D

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #567 on: May 20, 2019, 09:11:59 PM »
Other than the melting throne and Drogon's departure....rather dull.

Nothing changes much...as selection of Bran and the later council scenes showed. Not everyone is happy but for a while there will be stability and peace. Until the next king is needed....

Well here's to the spectacle it was and could have been.

Like the advert said....what's next?

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #568 on: May 20, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »
“Bran the Broken” or “Bran the schemer”? 

Ooooh, now that is something I hadn't thought of. That adds a really cool layer to the final. "Why do you think I came all this way?" - he had the throne in mind.

I assume Tyrion put Bronn in power (I don't recall him being at the council who elected Bran, might be wrong though). A Lannister always pays his debts. As someone said above, nice to see a Lannister actually doing so.

The more I think about it, the more I like the ending of the series. Lots of things to ponder, and I'd really like to see a good writer fill it out a bit more in a book one day. Ha.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #569 on: May 20, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »
I loved the ending. Yes it had some stupid bits and some rushed bits, but it was also very moving and cinematically very beautiful in many places. Thought they pulled back a lot of ground.
And essentially, let’s face it, the Starks won.
If that’s not a fulfilling and just end to the story cycle after everything that’s been done to them and all the injustices and trials they’ve been put through for the last nine years, I don’t know what is  :)