Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:18:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 68520 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #570 on: May 21, 2019, 12:29:25 AM »
And essentially, let’s face it, the Starks won.
If that’s not a fulfilling and just end to the story cycle after everything that’s been done to them and all the injustices and trials they’ve been put through for the last nine years, I don’t know what is  :)

Sansa (and House Stark) was the overall winner from my point of view.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #571 on: May 21, 2019, 01:11:57 AM »
Haha, well said Richard.
When I started to read the books, I was expecting Macbeth, I'm unfortunately what I got was RJ Feist (albeit for modern tastes),it was all very American wasn't it(statement).
I was expecting a more open ended 'grim dark' finish...in idipsum.
This thread has been a vicarious pleasure, thanks all :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #572 on: May 21, 2019, 05:52:49 AM »
I just want it recorded that the Dylan guy who started that petition is categorically not me! (One of my pals has already accused me of that).

Though if I did remake it, it would be an entire season of Tyrion rearranging chairs, that bit was great.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #573 on: May 21, 2019, 07:17:45 AM »
I just want it recorded that the Dylan guy who started that petition is categorically not me! (One of my pals has already accused me of that).

Though if I did remake it, it would be an entire season of Tyrion rearranging chairs, that bit was great.

Haha, that dumb petition reminds me of those football fans starting a petition to overturn a result they didn't like.

Tyrion arranging the chairs was a great touch: he's nervous, wanting to do well on the first day of his new job.

Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread for the final season, so thanks to you all for such an interesting discussion. It has added to my enjoyment of the series a lot, with loads of great ideas filling out different bits of each episode.
Thanks, ladies and gents!

Someone said to me, years ago before the TV series, that the way to get into the books is to cheer for the Stark children: it is really all about them. The finale seems pretty good with that in mind, though as I said above it could have done with less silently-gazing-over-the-horizon from the main characters.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #574 on: May 21, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »

lol It was!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #575 on: May 21, 2019, 08:23:16 AM »
The final winner would be... Winter.
Everyone has been bracing themselves for not just the Night King, but the worst, longest winter in generations. No human intervention can stop that. Once everyone had finished murdering each other, burning their homes, crops and supplies, there would be nothing worthwhile left to rule over.

Daenerys would finally taking the seat of the Iron throne among the ruins and ashes of King's Landing as prophesied in the earlier dream sequence in S2 having (either by accident or by design) disposed of all opposition. The scene would pan out to a dragon's eye perspective flying out over a Judgement Day/Day After Tomorrow scene of war, devastation and fires being extinguished by the onset of blizzard like snowfall - fade to white.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #576 on: May 21, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
The final winner would be... Winter.

Yeah but I am confused as winter came to King's Landing but in the final shot of Jon Snow going north they show a plant growing through the snow. So does that mean winter is over? If so, won't the man-made ice wall separating the north and wilds melt (global warming  ;D )? Just wondering why it would be snowy down south and then spring already in the north?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #577 on: May 21, 2019, 10:03:39 AM »
So were you drinking when you watched it??? ;D

No, I just managed my expectations well ;)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #578 on: May 21, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
No, I just managed my expectations well ;)

You are a good man. A good, good man. Solid.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #579 on: May 21, 2019, 10:47:45 AM »
My thought on winter was that the Night King was making it in preparation to come south. With the death of the Night King the terrible winter was going too. moving back to the type of winter they were more used to.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #580 on: May 21, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
Yeah but I am confused as winter came to King's Landing but in the final shot of Jon Snow going north they show a plant growing through the snow. So does that mean winter is over? If so, won't the man-made ice wall separating the north and wilds melt (global warming  ;D )? Just wondering why it would be snowy down south and then spring already in the north?
Exactly! Yet another example of S8 writers ignoring S1 to S7 and the whole ASOIAF backstory/history. A cheap meme for hope like the plant at the end of Hayao Miyazaki's 1984 Naussicaa. It would be a colossal waste of White Ravens announcing that Winter has arrived, let alone the North's famous catchphrase'. The wall has stood for many weather cycles so would not melt. It also makes no sense for the Freefolk to go North again to a Land of Always Winter when the weather was supposedly going to get apocalyptically worse! The predictions were all that the long summer would be faced with an equally long winter. Resources have been squandered or burned in all the conflict. Old Nan told stories of people freezing in their castles, mother's killing their children rather than seeing them starve. The North Remembers - and so do ASOIAF Fans!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #581 on: May 21, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
Bucking the trend slightly, but I quite liked it... have to work now but will explain (and open lyself to ridicule) later...

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #582 on: May 21, 2019, 12:04:14 PM »
I actually liked the final episode insofar as it was the best way to wrap up what had gone before (particularly in the last few episodes). I do have mixed feelings about the series as a whole, for as much as they nailed the books, there were plenty of other areas where they got it wrong. It's similar to the Lord of the Rings movies I suppose - it's not the stuff they left out that bothered me, it's the stuff they added but didn't need to.

I do maintain though that the final scene should have been Robert Baratheon saying 'and that's what will happen if we don't kill her now!'

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #583 on: May 21, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
I do maintain though that the final scene should have been Robert Baratheon saying 'and that's what will happen if we don't kill her now!'

Catelyn Stark wakes up from a terrible dream as Ned Stark is just getting out of the shower ...
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline tuco74

• Librarian
« Reply #584 on: May 21, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »
Catelyn Stark wakes up from a terrible dream as Ned Stark is just getting out of the shower ...

If you swap those two characters round you've got a winner.