Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:59:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 68401 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #630 on: May 25, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
And they're all a better love story than Twilight.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #631 on: May 25, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »
And they're all a better love story than Twilight.

Thank goodness I haven't seen those... or read them.

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #632 on: May 25, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »
Thank goodness I haven't seen those... or read them.
Nor me, but from my daughter's explanation, it seems to be about a girl who has to choose between bestiality or necrophilia.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #633 on: May 25, 2019, 05:57:42 PM »
They tried to sell it as a positive. His inability to produce issue suits their new system of no more inherited monarchy, new incumbents of the Iron Slag Heap will be chosen by a council of nobles from now on. They figured this will mean no more mad, bad rulers. Well, I'm all for ditching hereditary monarchy, but getting rid of it never quite worked out that way in our world. Maybe they'll have better luck.
Yes, I instantly thought "And that worked out SO well for the Holy Roman Empire..."

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #634 on: May 27, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
Has anyone else seen the HBO GoT production special : 'The Last Watch'. I've just seen a quarter into it  but found it very interesting and quite touching, as it becomes quiote apparent that it hasa been so much more than a job to cast and crew.  Especially the first read through of the last script gave a glimpse of how 'into it' the actors have been.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #635 on: May 27, 2019, 05:53:47 PM »
Has anyone else seen the HBO GoT production special : 'The Last Watch'. I've just seen a quarter into it  but found it very interesting and quite touching, as it becomes quiote apparent that it hasa been so much more than a job to cast and crew.  Especially the first read through of the last script gave a glimpse of how 'into it' the actors have been.

This is why the petition seemed OTT

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #636 on: May 27, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
Yeah.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #637 on: May 27, 2019, 07:39:56 PM »
Well I don't think even the most ardent petitioners have a problem with the cast and crew. It's the writers they are angry with.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #638 on: May 27, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »
I can come up with a few other hypothesis abouth what these petitioners have a problem with in life, like a sense of priority, just to name one.

A few in the production crew named a few readons for the need to wrap the series up toot sweet. One was for them to stay sane.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #639 on: May 27, 2019, 10:27:01 PM »
I can come up with a few other hypothesis abouth what these petitioners have a problem with in life, like a sense of priority, just to name one.

100% agree, though trying to explain my dislike for this kind of tedious internet "activism" (I bet some of them changed their profile pictures on facebook in protest too) will take us too far off topic I fear.

GRRM has some nice things to say on the finale on his Notablog. And also the rather chilling (to me) promise that, one thing he'll do differently when he finally finishes the books, is *also* tell the stories of characters who were cut out of the TV series (he then names a whole bunch, none of whom I remotely cared about as I slogged through the books  :) )

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #640 on: May 28, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »
100% agree, though trying to explain my dislike for this kind of tedious internet "activism" (I bet some of them changed their profile pictures on facebook in protest too) will take us too far off topic I fear.

GRRM has some nice things to say on the finale on his Notablog. And also the rather chilling (to me) promise that, one thing he'll do differently when he finally finishes the books, is *also* tell the stories of characters who were cut out of the TV series (he then names a whole bunch, none of whom I remotely cared about as I slogged through the books  :) )

That promise will vouch for a messy end. I do however wonder what his plans for Catelyn Stark are.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #641 on: May 28, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »
I've just binged my way through the last season while dogsitting for the lad. It's had me enthralled from beginning to end. At least four exits of major characters was worthy of the end of a Hollywood blockbuster... great stuff!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #642 on: May 28, 2019, 01:58:55 PM »

A few in the production crew named a few readons for the need to wrap the series up toot sweet. One was for them to stay sane.
How about leave 'em be? I don't recall anyone having a go at the defenders of this Disney style wrap up. The petition is reasonable, but won't produce any results, though if it weren't for petitions, some shows wouln't have gotten an additional season or two.

A not particularly talented Kit Harrington's response, Kit Harington Doesn't Give a F*ck About Critics of Game of Thrones Season Eight.

The production crew are also in need of future work, so of course they'll need to play apologist...

Reactions to the behind the scenes ranging from appreciation to sobbing - how about getting a sense of priority! I've worked 13 hour shifts without getting a bite to eat or a bathroom break, 'cause there wasn't anyone to relieve me, and the restaurant business is known for employees experiencing mental breakdowns and suicides. In contrast, production crew are usually unionized and actors go back to their stocked trailers and those with big enough salaries, have people to deal with their whining. I like behind the scenes docs, but I get the impression this was a timed release to shut up the critics. 

'Game of Thrones' recap: The series just burned itself to the ground
I used to think extreme Tolkien purists were pathetic prats, but turns out show fans are sans pareil at being overly sensitive, lashing out at critics' ages, possible mental conditions, gender, sexual orientation and professionalism.  :o The comments section on USA Today isn't the only place...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:46:43 AM by Condottiere »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #643 on: May 28, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
Nor me, but from my daughter's explanation, it seems to be about a girl who has to choose between bestiality or necrophilia.
Why only two options? I thought it would be bestiality, necrophilia and addiction...

Based on the trailers, sparkly wolfman and sparkly bloodsucker had more chemistry between them than with the corpse they're fighting over! lol

Kristin Stewart is the equivalent of Keanu Reeves and not in a good sort of way...   

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #644 on: May 28, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »
Yes, I instantly thought "And that worked out SO well for the Holy Roman Empire..."
In theory it should've worked, but in reality conflicts between religious and secular authorities, in addition other centrifugal factors, contributed to a messy situation. For over a millennium, the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation did exist as a Central European entity and even as late as 1805, there was demand for its existence from the smaller states - German Armies: War and German Society: 1648-1806. Despite conflicts, compared to the "Byzantine Republic", the HRE was rather stable...