Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690526
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 68467 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #660 on: May 31, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »
Like arguing over minutiae on an hobby site?

::)

It's not like it's a matter of life or death, arguing about toy sowjers, is much more important than that!!!

>:(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #661 on: May 31, 2019, 06:48:23 PM »
Has anyone else seen the HBO GoT production special : 'The Last Watch'. I've just seen a quarter into it  but found it very interesting and quite touching, as it becomes quiote apparent that it hasa been so much more than a job to cast and crew.  Especially the first read through of the last script gave a glimpse of how 'into it' the actors have been.

Watched it last night, Peder. I agree with you - it was quite affecting. Some of the characters (as in the extras and production crew) were amazing. I loved the ‘snow’ guy - hilarious. And complaining about the real snow because it meant he couldn’t spray his fake snow on top of it.
And the prosthetics lady (with the incredibly annoying voice!) but who had left her young child at home in England for 14 weeks  :o :o :o while she and her husband worked on the production in Northern Ireland...
Actually, the thing that I took most from it was how incredibly disorganised and seat of the pants a lot of it was. And how severely stressed and under pressure a lot of the senior production staff seemed to be for much of the time.
I’ve been involved in making films on and off down the years in various small ways, and there’s always an element of chaos, but there’s also normally a lot of great planning and organisation underpinning everything. That was clearly present in creating season 8 of GoT as well, but it felt like they were right at breaking point a lot of the time.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #662 on: May 31, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
Well it's been a few weeks now and I'm happy with it. Still plot holes but I've come to terms with it lol. Suitable end for all characters IMO

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #664 on: June 04, 2019, 05:48:05 PM »
Is it now time to talk about how greatly improved and enriched our lives have been by the experience of watching the Game of Thrones tv series? ;)
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #665 on: June 04, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
Well it’s certainly been a conversation point  ;)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #666 on: June 04, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Not seen any GoT. Any good?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #668 on: June 04, 2019, 11:13:54 PM »
Is it now time to talk about how greatly improved and enriched our lives have been by the experience of watching the Game of Thrones tv series? ;)

I know your comment is lighthearted, but I truly think, at least for my own part, the book and tv series both have made me think a whole lot about how it mirrors "real" human history, as it is told.

I am just back from a trip to Capri where the myths about Emperor Tiberious, who spent his last imperial years on the island, are ripe with lurid and violent detail, provided by roman historians like Tacitus and Suetonius (many years post factum). Reading up on the stuff makes you realize that storytelling and history are two animals which are hard to separate.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:00:13 AM by Hammers »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #669 on: June 05, 2019, 12:19:30 AM »
Indeed - Martin even happily admits that much of his story writing has basis on real life events like the red wedding.

Tolkien was the same - his was more directly related to his expert knowledge of sagas and a desire to write a modern one.

There is an argument that says that the best stories, the most believable ones, are those that intertwine truth, real events with fiction to the degree that you're not sure which part is which. Seamless even.

Homer (if he were even one such being) did so with the Iliad. The Aeneid did the same. Shakespear. So on and so forth.

I have enjoyed the series, definitely better for it. I'd love to remember which forum it was on and who said it but someone was slating it after the first series stating that without Bean it would drop viewing ratings and be cancelled and see what they think now.

Some of the comments and the petition re season 8 have lacked a level of maturity though and remind me a bit of some of the Harry Potter backlash a few years ago... And all just a bit, I dunno, lame.

Like Capt Blood says though "interesting discussion"  ;D ;)
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #670 on: June 05, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »
Watched it last night, Peder. I agree with you - it was quite affecting. Some of the characters (as in the extras and production crew) were amazing. I loved the ‘snow’ guy - hilarious. And complaining about the real snow because it meant he couldn’t spray his fake snow on top of it.

He certainly was somewhere on the goofy spectrum.