Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Underdark monsters - or burrowing aliens - or Cthonian beasts? Sf/f/horror?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Latest painting project, a bunch of critters with a "Horrors From Below" kind of theme.  Honestly can't decide whether I like them best as D&D/dungeoncrawl monsters or burrowing alien fauna (sadly, sans Ambull) or Cthulhu Mythos inspired nasties.  Guess they'll work as any of those, so choosing between the them isn't vital.

Mostly Reaper Bones minis with various small conversions and a bit of sculpting work.  The worm's stinger is the only metal piece.  Have a cookie if you can recognize what OOP minis range I got it from.

Classic purple worm, with extra bits for both ends operating independently as burrowing ambushers.  Those are 60mm and 45mm bases, respectively, so pretty big.

A couple of different "jaws of death" burrowers.  First one's on a 45mm base, the second on a 60mm.

And a bit less mole-like, but still a nice Underdark critter or alien horror, the mind eater:

A fairly large mini, as poor half-painted Sorscha here shows:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:14:21 PM by Hobby Services »

Gabbi

Nice job on those.

For Purple Worms, I always have been a fan of the prepainted one from D&D line.

One question: where did you got 45 and 60 mm lipped bases?

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
The D&D prepaint is a darned nice sculpt too, although I'd probably touch it up some myself.  Marginally harder to play conversion games with than Bones plastic, too.  That stuff cuts like warm butter, and the boil-repose-freeze thing works a charm on it.

The bases are Reaper's "display" version (as opposed to the "gaming" beveled-edge ones), and you can find them all here:

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Base

Insanely cheap when bought in bulk, enough so that you'll curse GW and Privateer even more than usual for their price gouging.  If Reaper would just make some flight bases all would be well with the world.  Just be aware that the "40mm" bases are actually 45mm across at the bottom, which is a game-breaker for Warmachine/Hordes players and not overly helpful for 40K players.  The 60mm really is 60mm at the bottom, weirdly enough.  Makes me wonder if there was a behind the scenes deal for them not to imitate Privateer's sizes exactly.

Gabbi

The D&D prepaint is a darned nice sculpt too, although I'd probably touch it up some myself.
Sure you'll want to. I own two and they have pretty rough joints ^^;

The bases are Reaper's "display" version (as opposed to the "gaming" beveled-edge ones), and you can find them all here:

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Base

Insanely cheap when bought in bulk, enough so that you'll curse GW and Privateer even more than usual for their price gouging.  If Reaper would just make some flight bases all would be well with the world.  Just be aware that the "40mm" bases are actually 45mm across at the bottom, which is a game-breaker for Warmachine/Hordes players and not overly helpful for 40K players.

Thanks. I'm interested in them right because they're not standard PP sizes :)

Also. about other monsters suggestions... don't know how well they work as underdark ones, but ones the following pic look pretty cthonian to me.

I've gathered them (along with the forementioned Purple Worm) for a small project inspired by Half Life videogame. Quite fit the mood, imo.

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
Nice work :-)
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Your various Horror look WONDERFUL...the brushwork is SPLENDID & you have a real flair for colors. OUTSTANDING WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Very cool - and a good creepy feel to all of them.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Very cool - and a good creepy feel to all of them.

Thanks.  The really creepy ones are coming in a week or two, though.