Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: African railway  (Read 5894 times)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
African railway
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:51:36 AM »
Well, I finally found one. This is my Fastlane Western Express. I have been checking a local Toys 'R Us (local on the way to my holiday home, so 45 minutes away) for one of these but the only one they had was the Mining one which has a more modern train and gear. Well, they finally got the Western Express and although it is slightly over scale, I bit the bullet and grabbed one. At $25 Oz, it is a good deal, so I have taken some pics with a variety of unfinished older Foundry Victorian women, some OG Egyptian officers and some Blue Moon Arabs, hope you like them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:55:26 AM by Poiter50 »
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: African railway
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:53 AM »
Its a nice set.  loooking forward to your progress.  I was making mine an Old west Train as seen here
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7171.msg79372#msg79372
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:03:16 PM »
eheh! :) nice Idea ;)

I'm working on a similar model, but right now I'm focusing on the tracks:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_oObns3UosHo/SWKRQk_W3xI/AAAAAAAABHU/QsSVmeVlkUU/s800/IMG_1705.jpg
I'm using aquarium rocks for the job!
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
I actually want to reduce the height of my tracks but can't face the task of trimming each one down. The train is overscale but suits the type of train I was looking for. now I need to rewatch Ghosts in the Darkness to get a better idea of the train and carriages in that scenario. I intend to run a Big Game Hunting game where the workers are threatened by several man eaters and a couple of hunters have to prevent it. The rules I have in mind are from an article that Chris Peers had published in WI or MW several years ago.
eheh! :) nice Idea ;)

I'm working on a similar model, but right now I'm focusing on the tracks:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_oObns3UosHo/SWKRQk_W3xI/AAAAAAAABHU/QsSVmeVlkUU/s800/IMG_1705.jpg
I'm using aquarium rocks for the job!

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:41:05 AM »
These trains are 1/48th scale and will use standard O Scale track (US = 1/48).

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:43:59 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsavo_maneaters

In case anybody is interested in the background for "The Ghost and the Darkness."
Sailors have more fun!

Offline peachey_c

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »
"The Man-Eaters of Tsavo" is very good. You can download it free here...

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3810

Offline NECROSTONE

• Librarian
  • I've been dead a very long time. Care to join me?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »
I obtained one of these train sets for £5 from Wilkinsons in their January sale mainly for some wild west action,....

However my set is slightly smaller in that there is less carriages and is also supposed to have a realistic smoking funnel seemingly.

Except I cant get the funnel to smoke.

Does yours smoke?

Thanks
"An orphan's curse would drag to Hell A spirit from on high: But O! more horrible than that Is the curse in a dead man's eye! Seven days, seven nights I saw that curse, And yet I could not die."

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
Can't say that I have bothered but it would look good on the table.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:27:03 AM »
Poiter50, thank you for directing me to Toys R Us.  I was able to pick up a couple of the Fast Lane trains on clearance.  Because of the single wheels on the passenger cars and the European style bumpers in the connection area (you can see I don't know the technical words associated with trains), I saw these as real opportunities to  create a Victorian era passenger train.  I cut the end porches off and shortened the roofs at the ends to match.  I reattached the bumper (maybe not the technical term) and gave the passenger coaches the appearance of three side doors on each side of each coach.  I then numbered each door.  For an engine I was lucky to find a Thomas Train (or is it Thomas Tank) engine with tender included (like the British engines) at my local swap meet for $2.  I removed Thomas face, evened things out with putty, used plastic to give the appearance of bolt and other detail to the nose of the engine (Thomas' former face) and now I have a train that I think Holmes and Watson might ride.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 07:43:14 AM »
Oh, piccies, piccies, come on, man!!  :D :P

Poiter50, thank you for directing me to Toys R Us.  I was able to pick up a couple of the Fast Lane trains on clearance.  Because of the single wheels on the passenger cars and the European style bumpers in the connection area (you can see I don't know the technical words associated with trains), I saw these as real opportunities to  create a Victorian era passenger train.  I cut the end porches off and shortened the roofs at the ends to match.  I reattached the bumper (maybe not the technical term) and gave the passenger coaches the appearance of three side doors on each side of each coach.  I then numbered each door.  For an engine I was lucky to find a Thomas Train (or is it Thomas Tank) engine with tender included (like the British engines) at my local swap meet for $2.  I removed Thomas face, evened things out with putty, used plastic to give the appearance of bolt and other detail to the nose of the engine (Thomas' former face) and now I have a train that I think Holmes and Watson might ride.