Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Calibrating4Seek&Destroy (Temudjin00) vs. Rum Runners (Dolmot)

Calibrating4Seek&Destroy (Temudjin00)
196 (41.8%)
Rum Runners (Dolmot)
273 (58.2%)

Total Members Voted: 465

Voting closed: May 08, 2016, 09:23:59 AM

Author Topic: Round 9 - Calibrating4Seek&Destroy vs. Rum Runners  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 9 - Calibrating4Seek&Destroy vs. Rum Runners
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:00:25 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
Re: Round 4 - Calibrating4Seek&Destroy vs. Rum Runners
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
Wow, these two are great! Both are very differnt subjects but really well executed. Great scenery, great story being told in each picture. Top notch! I voted for the robots because of the striking colour schemes, but I love the painting on the salty crew.

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
Re: Round 4 - Calibrating4Seek&Destroy vs. Rum Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Man! They are both excellent, makes voting tricky  :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Round 9 - Calibrating4Seek&Destroy vs. Rum Runners
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 12:12:34 PM »
Another tricky one for me! Where are the robots from? Nice colours on them and great scene with the sailors!

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »
Another tricky one for me! Where are the robots from? Nice colours on them and great scene with the sailors!

I think they're old Infinity Zonds, maybe.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
Wow. That was a very tough choice.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 05:58:31 PM »
Robots are infinity Youjing Yaokong remotes

Offline Temudjin00

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »
Thanks, all. :)

@Andym--AWu has it right the bots are from the YuJing Infinity line by Corvus Belli. The big ones (quadruped) are Yaokong and the fixer bots (biped) are Yaozao.

@Domot--I love the two figures in the center of the Rum Runners crew, but especially the one wearing the redish wool cap. The crest points on the water under the dock makes it come alive, almost real! Excellent setting, of course. My (wool) cap is off to you, sir.  :)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:06:38 PM »

Dolmot, where's the sailors with the fur trimmed coat from?

Very nice work, BTW 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline nikko

• Scientist
    • les figurines du Nikko
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »
Hello,

Two excellent entries !!!  :-*

Nikko

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 03:56:17 AM »
Dolmot, I love those Pulp figs...makes me want to break out my Pulp stuff and run another game!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »
Thanks, everyone. The strange thing about this entry is that while it may appear well planned, in reality it's exactly the opposite. Let me elaborate.

1) The minis: These are actually semi-random leftovers from a preparation spree, where I went through my pulp box, trying to clear it up as much as I could. When the LPL season was announced, everything was roughly arranged into groups of five or so. Not all of these are really my favourites or even truly fitting, but there seemed to be a sailor team hiding in there anyway. Since then I've bought a few more sailor packs (with better fitting characters) from Tactica, but I didn't have any time to prepare them. I believe the captain is actually a British WWII pilot from Black Tree, most likely received as a freebie at some point in the distant past. But hey, maybe I could get away with painting him in sailor colours? Besides, it's not particularly far-fetched that a pilot would be participating in rum-running...

2) Painting: This was the week when we had a massive boardgaming weekend in another city. I already had to sort out a bunch of things for that in advance. Then our intended host fell ill, thus we had to start searching for new lodgings and some place with a large table on Friday, calling for rapid improvisation. It went fine after all, but the end result was returning home on Sunday with four sleepless nights behind me and absolutely nothing painted yet. Therefore each colour choice here is just the first, only and last idea that came to mind. No striped shirts this time, sorry.

3) Scenery: Originally I had a vague idea of an open sea backdrop, just to keep it simple, but then I realised that credible blending of the horizon in miniature could turn really difficult. However, I had just finished the shacks for round 8, and they provide a handy, largish backdrop. So roughly at 11 pm I realised that I could use them again...and include the old brick quay piece for some neat height differences and contrast...and just for laughs, reverse the round 8 scene to tie them together. (Approximately, from memory. Does anyone even notice this kind of stuff? :-I) This shot was taken after midnight, almost on the first try. Four hours earlier there had been no coherent plan whatsoever. My hyper-realistic water effect is plastic window frosting film over a blue t-shirt, by the way.

Last weekend had some heavy extra activities too. This one is the first in a while when I'm actually able to dedicate time to painting - or maybe even planning? :o

Meanwhile, the robots prove the old truth of orange and blue going together really well, like so many movie posters have demonstrated. I can't blame anyone for voting them for that reason alone. I might do so as well. :D

Offline Temudjin00

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »
Thanks, everyone. The strange thing about this entry is that while it may appear well planned, in reality it's exactly the opposite. Let me elaborate.

1) The minis: These are actually semi-random leftovers from a preparation spree, where I went through my pulp box, trying to clear it up as much as I could. When the LPL season was announced, everything was roughly arranged into groups of five or so. Not all of these are really my favourites or even truly fitting, but there seemed to be a sailor team hiding in there anyway. Since then I've bought a few more sailor packs (with better fitting characters) from Tactica, but I didn't have any time to prepare them. I believe the captain is actually a British WWII pilot from Black Tree, most likely received as a freebie at some point in the distant past. But hey, maybe I could get away with painting him in sailor colours? Besides, it's not particularly far-fetched that a pilot would be participating in rum-running...

2) Painting: This was the week when we had a massive boardgaming weekend in another city. I already had to sort out a bunch of things for that in advance. Then our intended host fell ill, thus we had to start searching for new lodgings and some place with a large table on Friday, calling for rapid improvisation. It went fine after all, but the end result was returning home on Sunday with four sleepless nights behind me and absolutely nothing painted yet. Therefore each colour choice here is just the first, only and last idea that came to mind. No striped shirts this time, sorry.

3) Scenery: Originally I had a vague idea of an open sea backdrop, just to keep it simple, but then I realised that credible blending of the horizon in miniature could turn really difficult. However, I had just finished the shacks for round 8, and they provide a handy, largish backdrop. So roughly at 11 pm I realised that I could use them again...and include the old brick quay piece for some neat height differences and contrast...and just for laughs, reverse the round 8 scene to tie them together. (Approximately, from memory. Does anyone even notice this kind of stuff? :-I) This shot was taken after midnight, almost on the first try. Four hours earlier there had been no coherent plan whatsoever. My hyper-realistic water effect is plastic window frosting film over a blue t-shirt, by the way.

Last weekend had some heavy extra activities too. This one is the first in a while when I'm actually able to dedicate time to painting - or maybe even planning? :o

Wait, so you stomped me without even trying! ;)

[Edit to change "with" to "without," otherwise the sentence makes no sense.]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:01:38 AM by Temudjin00 »