Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: D&D Bestiary  (Read 16003 times)

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
Re: D&D Bestiary
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »
Thanks so much for all the lovely comments guys! I do rather enjoy the animals, trying to get a natural look on them. Got a consignment of bipeds coming in now though - human warriors from Mierce and some GW gnoblars for a goblin horde. Might try varying my technique a bit to try some new stuff :) And then there's the second, converted griffon to finish...

I agree, Steam Flunky, the dynwocor reminded me of the skeksis. I love its evil grin, had to get it - and am looking forward to unveiling it at our next D&D session. Hopefully it will give them a run for their XP :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
Great work. I love the skinks you painted, great colouring. I wish I could afford some of those Mierce Miniatures as well. Yours looks brilliant.  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:21:33 AM by beefcake »

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 08:28:25 AM »
Thanks beefcake - I got it from the real thing :) https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caribbeanpets.com%2Fsite%2Fimages%2Fanimals%2Freptiles%2Fblue_tailed_skink%2Fblue_tailed_skink_01L.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caribbeanpets.com%2Fsite%2Freptiles%2Fblue-tailed-skink.html&docid=IAcREgbYCjs89M&tbnid=k3Ze8p3WIStweM%3A&w=740&h=370&bih=987&biw=944&ved=0ahUKEwjmpPTr0NbMAhXGmx4KHcE2CPsQMwgdKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Not desperately chuffed by these, rather rough and ready, but they're part of the bestiary so up they go. Magda from Afar (Red Box via Hasslefree) and Stan the wonderpony (Hasslefree) lead a band of generic city guard/light infantry (Perry longbowmen with Frostgrave parts, shields from Conquest Games)

And WIP on Mr Griffon - reconstituted after taking a vicious swipe at my wife's cardigan when she was passing and winding up sat upon. Hopefully he's learned to have less of a temper (and I've learned to not leave minis scattered around so much) ^^
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:28:25 PM by pelonas »

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 08:51:32 PM »

First of a few batches of goblin rabble. Getting used to painting faces again after so many animals - need to tune up a bit! Anyone with criticism or advice on layering/painting clothing would be welcome.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »
On a related note, I just finished up a thoqqua/lava worm proxy that I'm pretty happy with, along with a rocky pal, both mounted on 45mm bases:

Kitbashed out a leftover fragment of a Reaper Bones "great worm" and some MagicSculpt.  Fun and easy project, something you could easily add to your collection yourself with a little work.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:30:30 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »
Ooh, where's the rocky pal from? I will need an earth elemental at some point. Nice converting :)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »
Ooh, where's the rocky pal from? I will need an earth elemental at some point. Nice converting :)

It's a Heroclix "Mindless One" mini (familiar to any fan of the Doctor Strange comic from the old days when Steve Ditko was still drawing it) which appear to sell for insane amounts of money on the secondary market.  Of course, that assumes the stupid thing is still stuck on one of those hideous clicky bases instead of being mounted on a proper base and repainted to a competent standard.  Rare case where my paint job has lowered the value of a model, how embarrassing.  :)

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
Fear the crumbling horde!

All from Wargames Factory, with some weapons and shields from other kits.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »
OOH! VERY COOL stuff! While it would be impossible to pick out a favorite from so many BEAUTIFUL pieces, the Gypsy Babe & the running Horse come close. All are VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:06 AM »
Very nice stuff - and a good reminder of some of those not so run-of-the-mill minis!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 08:42:42 PM »
Thanks! I do love Magda - and a special mention for the Wargames Factory skellies - cheap as chips, and I prefer their style to most others.

All current goblins - the red ones have had slightly less love, but I'm done for the night ^^

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
Those skellies are not too bad at all.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »
Those skellies are not too bad at all.

I concur. I think I am going to get some when I start expanding my GoB LoU army.

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Thanks again guys. I do heartily recommend the skellies - I like their natural look (no evil eye sockets like the old GW ones or Mantic) and they're nice and cheap, unlike the new GW ones. Only problems would be lack of armour and fragility - all those lovely thin bones!

Only a couple done over the last little while - a demo dwarf (GW) and a gnome hero (Alternative Armies) for current campaign. First attempt at OSL (that didn't look utterly and completely awful! Tried to put colours into the steel to make it a little iridescent, fairly pleased with the results. Doesn't entirely come out in the pictures.

And an elf druid (Heresy, via Dice Bag Lady) and another gnome (Alternative Armies)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:37:00 AM by pelonas »

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
In an attempt to add some muscle to any goblin adventures, here is a bugbear warband (wendigo from Crocodile Games). Not that pleased at how the fur has come out under the lens, it's a bit better in person!

And for EVEN more muscle, a bigfoot/yeti/etc to play giant parts as necessary. Also I just love its face.

With some reference models for size