Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686446
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: D&D Bestiary  (Read 15991 times)

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
Re: D&D Bestiary
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
Thank you so much everyone! I do like the skeletons, and even more now that they gave my players a solid bloody nose last night. Before the wraith spooked in...

Another undead contribution, a Draugr. While I understand that some RPGs seem to use them for aquatic undead and I first ran into them in the form of the Witcher 2's war-spectres and Skyrim's ice-mummies, I've decided to go back to the sagas (or at least Wikipedia) for inspiration. Here they are swollen and decayed, animated by greedy or nasty souls and capable of considerable magical power over weather, dreams and shapeshifting. Their considerable strength is further boosted by the ability to enlarge themselves to the size of an ox - a particularly nasty move when the draugr has settled on your chest in the form of a cat... Thus we have a fleshy, bloated and blackened figure that will be an extremely high level foe for my PCs to get crushed by in the future. The figure is slightly converted from the GW's Nurgle Lord.

Also, a grimalk with misty powers (Malifaux),

a rather rough Bones demon,

some giant spiders (Otherworld)

And a human/elf dragon knight banner bearer
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:46:28 PM by pelonas »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »
Great banner, and nice alternative colour scheme on that High Elf model!

The Draugr is aces, too!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »
You got a great collection of fantasy miniatures!

That banner/flag of the dragon knight looks perfect!
The unending Battle against the Lead Mountain can be followed at
http://miniwargamers.blogspot.be/

Offline Garder

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 07:50:02 PM »
Those perry knights with skull heads looks great.

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
Thanks all for the lovely comments :) Here are some somewhat hurriedly painted kobalds - I've gone with a very different look to the D&D dog/reptiles, based more on the knocker mining goblins of german (and other) myth. In my game they're filling a sort of dual role of duregar/kobald. GW components.

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
Well, it's been a while, but finally picked up a paintbrush again. The arrival of the rather ridiculous AoS gryph chargers have provided a nice base for a hippogriff - not the best blending I've ever done, but I'm happy enough with the result - especially after the long break. Will hopefully add more of the family in the form of an opinicus and some gryph hound based keythongs.

Griff off!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 04:33:35 AM »
Very nice.  You have done the plumage much better than my effort on a griffon.  The giant eagle is particularly good.

Edit:  I have just seen the earlier pictures and see that the "eagle" is in fact a griffin also.  Even more impressive now that I have seen the whole miniature.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:36:03 AM by Ethelred the Almost Ready »

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »
Thanks! I do love a bit of plumage, always fun doing some drybrushing. On that note, more griffids! In this case, an opinicus - my first finished mini from Mythic Battles Pantheon. Boy do I have a lot of lovely greek stuff to get through from that, so much plastic... Anyway, tried to go for something a bit lighter in colour. Apologies for phone photos.

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »
Not a lot of progress since griffondom, but a couple more monsters are taking shape. Firstly, the gates to the beyond creak open and a vile spirit steps upon the mortal plane...

I love the Lord Chompy Bits sculpt, amazing character to it. It can run around as a major demon in frostgrave or any number of gribbles in DnD.

On a less arcane note, an unfortunate WIP elf knight facing a Corpse Grub.

And while nothing else is finished, I've finally summoned up the courage to make a start on Goldislaug, here to put the grub in its place. Quite pleased with the belly plates so far, and looking foward to getting it finished off. Very enjoyable model to paint :)

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »
More WIP shots of the new biggest beastie - Mierce's Angrislaug - if only to keep my keen up! Lovely model to paint, but there sure is a lot of it. Now that the wings are on it has graduated from huge to gigantic. Really enjoyed mixing metallic and non metallic colours in this gold scheme, and trying out more daring shading tones than I usually would - in this case, purple to give an even richer hue.

The big head, all scales and character, has been particularly fun to paint. I've very much reverted to layering, and am bracing myself for delving into more blending on the large, flatter areas of the limbs and wings. 'S gonna be a challenge...

Angrislaug really is a monster - the sizeable Imperial Griffon is looking severely outside its weight class (not to mention the poor survivor). So much more to paint! Getting some good money's worth in terms of entertainment time out of this one.

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »
Taking a break from the dragon until my blending skills and confidence have improved. With that in mind, thought I'd try painting up one of my least favourite sculpts from Mythic Battles Pantheon. Not sure why they thought this was how Orion should look, but it's not the image I have! Turns out he's a pretty good canvas for practicing skin blending, especially as I haven't got too much of an attachment to it, and he will make a nice half-ogre to throw around. Few bits that I couldn't quite be bothered finishing off, I'm ashamed to say, like the severed heads (not sure how they should look...) Despite that, I'm quite pleased with how he's turned out, particularly given my initial dislike for him  :) Might come back in the future to tattoo him.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:13:17 PM by pelonas »

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »
Back to big again for some construction. I'm going to try and build a version of a tarasque, based more on the French legend than the D&D kaiju - i.e. a near impenetrable six legged tortoise dragon thing from the swamps. Taking the Age of Sigmar Maw-Krusha as a base, as it's nice and grumpy and super stocky.

I'm going to have to build an extended central abdomen, as well as an extra set of legs. Here's hoping that it doesn't look like a total mess by the end...

Dry fit of the front and rear hull sections.

And as it's going to be, with an old paint brush keel. I'm going to need a lot of milliput...

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2018, 05:34:26 PM »
Very impressive going to be following this one closely. Particularly like the trolls.

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2018, 07:18:55 AM »
Thank you! I love the trolls. Warploque miniatures have so much character stuffed into them. Death kiwis and the new fjord dragon are definitely on my shopping list.

Bit of a change of topic for a wee plug: my wife and some of her friends have been working on a podcast series. It's a comedy drama chronicling the misadventures of a bunch of Victorian occultists in Glasgow, and has just launched here: http://www.hunterhoose.co.uk

If anyone is in need of a new podcast may I heartily recommend giving it a shot :)

Offline pelonas

• Bookworm
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2018, 09:59:52 AM »
The arrival of milliput and fresh greenstuff means more flesh on tarasque.

First, filling in the hull (I'm still going to use that). The basics of the extra legs are next, then the first layer of belly greenstuff.

I'm a bit apprehensive of adding the detail layer, but I'm happy with the overall shape of things at least.

It's uncanny really:

Once that dries, detail. And then the shell...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:05:09 AM by pelonas »