Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689838
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great War Canadians  (Read 19693 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Great War Canadians (13th Battalion added 17 Jun 16)
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
If you do Cambrai, there was a highly successful cavalry charge by the Fort Garry Horse as well, earning Lt. Harcus Strachan the VC. Well worth reading the action report.

It was a great day for tanks of course.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
Lovely!  :-*

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 01:22:29 AM »
Two more battalions finished up for the Vimy Project.

the first - the 16th Battalion - wasn't so much recently painted as they were "touched up a bit" - rebased, helmets and formation patches repainted, etc. The figures are quite old - they are, in fact, the very first models I ever modeled myself. I made the masters out of milliput and my friend that got me into modelling and casting cast them up for me!

16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish)

More here:

http://saskminigamer.blogspot.ca/2016/07/16th-battalion-canadian-scottish-cef.html

The second unit i've finished up is the first battalion of the 5th Brigade, which will all be made up of figures from Gripping Beast/Woodbine Design

22e  Battalion (Canadien Français)

More here:

http://saskminigamer.blogspot.ca/2016/07/22e-battalion-canadian-francais.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:22:48 AM by tim in saskatoon »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Great War Canadians (2 new battalions added 10 July 16)
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 05:20:41 AM »
Nice to see the Van Doos make an appearance!

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2016, 06:51:36 AM »
My experience with the Van Doo's was less than stellar, being a squid, back in 1976. I still have respect for the regiment!

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 01:19:56 AM »
Very Nice!
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 02:53:22 AM »
Thanks all!

After a bit of a break (and a vacation in the mountains) I'm back at it!

Stokes Mortar team from 4th Trench Mortar Battery

4th Brigade and 2nd Division Staff.

All of these figures are from 1st Corps.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Great War Canadians
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2016, 01:38:08 AM »
Good lord I didn't think anyone actually bothered with them,you've actually got more of them painted than me It's been donkeys' years since I did them.Are you tempted to add an Auto car to your Canadians'?

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2016, 03:27:12 AM »
Good lord I didn't think anyone actually bothered with them,you've actually got more of them painted than me It's been donkeys' years since I did them.Are you tempted to add an Auto car to your Canadians'?

Like this one that 1st Corps makes:

(1st Corps' picture and model - not mine!)

I've already got one and it's sitting on the workbench awaiting assembly! It's not a huge priority at the moment as they didn't really have any role in the two actions I am working on building forces and terrain for (Somme and Vimy Ridge), but I will put it together at some point for giggles.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2016, 05:11:39 AM »
Just chuckling to myself(the range is all me so's the paint)its just lately every time I've done research or attended meetings its my own stuff that keeps coming up as examples(I know enough to know I don't know enough, so its Weird.)
That picture caused a few issues when it came out as the figure next to it is from the series 3  Austin's
It's there to hide the rear wheel (as its made from card)I dropped the model when it was about to be photographed and shattered the dammed thing and couldn't find the rear wheel.(no one noticed i'd knocked chunks out of the lights as well)
The reason I asked is because it's possible to drop the sides and end panel with very little effort.But the machineguns and belts need adjusting and a couple of dry runs to get a good position (use a bowl of hot water to soften the belt and hose as there a lot less likely to break when you flex them) also there's 2-3 mm of additional ammo belt so it may require a trim depending on the position of the gun
So in short it's far more of a fiddle than I like to make in a models,its just the nature of this car.So if you do get stuck feel free to pick my rather odd brains
Mark

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »
Just chuckling to myself(the range is all me so's the paint)

Brilliant! The vehicles or the entire Great War line? I have an entire brigade worth of the British (which I am using as Canadian) infantry waiting to be painted (4th Brigade, 2nd Division, to be precise!) - and a few German command to be staff for my Germans (most of which I modelled and cast myself).

I also painted up a few of the Trench Raiders and snipers as well but, while I have posted them on my blog, I don't seem to have posted pictures of them here, so here they are:

Sniper

Other sniper

Another of the officers painted as 2nd Division staff.

Trench Raiders

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
Finally getting full battalions rolling off the workbench again after a bit too long of a summer hiatus!

14th (Montreal) Battalion, CEF (Figures are form Wargames Foundry)

Detail of the formation patch; Red patch of the 1st Canadian Division surmounted by a blue semicircle -  blue for the junior brigade (3rd) of the Division and semicircle for the second battalion within the brigade.

I also finished one of the first divisions machine-gun elements (but it seems I forgot to paint the arrow over the divisional patch!)

More pictures and info can be found on my blog:

http://saskminigamer.blogspot.ca/2016/09/14th-montreal-battalion-cef.html

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »
Yep,
All the vehicles and crews,and all the infantry.
The trench raiders were never made to be cast.They were originally done as a series of greens on a painted trench section.For Salute one year,and were stylized as caricature's not as gaming figures.Simon got nagged for them that much he gave in and cast them.
All the infantry and heavy weapons(German as well)were never actually ment as a range.At the time I simply couldn't afford to buy Great War Miniatures. Simon was learning to cast in house so he offered me some mould space and I churned the lot out in a little over a month.So it was a win win situation.
I got to play with the concept of late war bantam Tommies,and bosh.They still fit in with my other figures I just like having short arse late war brits in ill fitting kit.As being six foot and over by the end of the war was proving to be a bit of an evolutionary dead end.
Simon added them to the WW1 vehicle range when it started just to pad out the range.until id had enough time to fit in more vehicles.
Only recently they seem to be in vouge.
I dont even have a full set of trench raiders!so it really is nice to see them being used.
I'm pretty sure there's a rouge green of a trench raider / sniper in a full sack cloth ghillie  suit floating around somewhere as I think he was too bulky to cast at the time.
Mark.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
Simply wonderful.  A fine force you have painted. 

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
Finally another new battalion - Iv'e started work on the 1st Brigade, 1st Canadian Division.  All of the figures in the 1st Brigade are from Wargames Foundry.

1st (Western Ontario) Battalion.

Detail of the formation patch - green circle over the red patch of the 1st Division (the green represents the senior brigade in the division and the circle denotes the senior battalion within the Brigade).

Next up should be the 2nd (Eastern Ontario) Battalion. Should be done in the next day or two. I did some stock taking and realized I need to complete at least one battalion every week to get them done in time for the big Vimy game on the 100th anniversary in april.