Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689778
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Noble  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Noble
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
And yes, I painted it, a friend dropped it, chipped some parts, and I had to retouch the chipped parts. 

In that case, great paintjob.  The flesh tones are especially nice.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56:31 PM »
Thanks to all.  I would say that flesh is my specialty, but then that might sound wierd!  But yes, I can share some tips on my flesh technique, though I don't count myself as an expert per se.

I undercoat with white primer.  I tried black, but for some reason, working from a white under coat and then darkening down is more comfortable for me than the other way around.

On this mini I used a Ral Partha paint called Amerindian Flesh, basically a dark caucasian flesh tone.  Then I used Reaper's brown ink to glaze the flesh.  Following that I used successive layers of caucasian flesh tone lightened with Ivory instead of white. 

I thin my paints a great deal and layer  and blend them most of the time.  I'm not a dry brusher any more; gave that up back in the late '80s.  Adding eyebrows and eyelids helps keep the face realistic looking.  Also, remember to have a single source of light for all of the shadows.  Some minis I've seen seem to high light every angle or edge, regardless of whether that looks realistic. 

Adding top and bottom eyelids with a thin layer of regular flesh tone keeps the model looking realistic as opposed to freaked out.  Also, the eyebrows frame the face and should also be included imo. 

Hope that's what some of you were looking for by way of tips.

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Faust
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 01:53:09 AM »
Very nifty.  Forgive me - I'm not familiar with the Warhammer Quest figures - how tall is he?

Warhammer Quest figures are the exact same scale as standard Warhammer figures of their generation (they were made to be interchangeable). In practical terms, that means a chunky "heroic" 28mm scale. Although WHQ figures were released in the 1990s, there has not been much significant scale-creep between then and now so any current human Warhammer figure should be comparable in scale.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0