Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Quest Silver Tower  (Read 15767 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warhammer Quest Silver Tower
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »
Tickles me pink how many WFB players are reacting to the same being done to them.

Well, I played WFB since late 3rd edition (but mostly 4th-6th), WFRP 1st and a bit of 2nd, and WQ...so now I've (personally) had all 3 ruined by editions that followed.

Like I said, you can always play whatever version you like...but somehow it seems impossible to go back once things change.

I have this odd feeling that in a year or so GW is going to realize their mistake and try to revive "classic" Warhammer.  But it might be too late.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline mhsellwood

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 11:08:45 PM »
There are Reviews and SHops who already have them? I thougt release is next saturday damn. Any links?

So I can test the game in the FLGS and preorder it then, if I am lucky?

@mhs: Originally I had the same plan, but I am still struggling with me, because I am just not sure if the aesthetics (iconogography, proportions, anorganic CGI, clusterfuck of Details) are to OTT for Old Warhammer.

I don't like the Gobbos but they doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If I remember correctly in the Northern Wastes were some Chaos Goblin Tribes. Models are mabye a bit to uniform still. Wasted potential.

Hi Jerekin.

Go to https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197572/warhammer-quest-silver-tower and there are currently two reviews, one more detailed than the other. Obviously early days but they are both very positive. If you visit Dakka Dakka and they have an AoS review thread and there are, from memory 2 or 3 posts from people who played this weekend. They have said good things about it.

The only thing I have so far read that has given me pause is that the first quest appears to be quite easy. However, there is plenty of indication that the first quest is kind of training wheels on so should be easy to blast through and that later missions are far from a cakewalk. As an anecdote, about a week ago at my gaming group we played the first mission of the latest Level 7 game. We took some minor damage and stomped through the mission. From experience however I know this is not reflective of the overall difficulty of the game so would not take this to  mean the game itself is an easy beat.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:14:59 PM by mhsellwood »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Ranty...

I'm not sure when it happened, but over the last 4 or 5 years I've become rather grognardish when it comes to RPGs and Miniature Games.  I feel like one by one everything I've gotten real pleasure out of playing has been taken from me, twisted, and destroyed beyond anything I recognize.  To me this game is almost an insult.  Something that has been beloved for decades has been revived, but as an abomination by upstarts who "just don't get it" when it comes to everything players thought was cool about Warhammer Fantasy.

I'm not a hater, and I'm happy for the people who will enjoy this, and yeah, I know I can still play the game I have...it just makes me a little sad and betrayed for some reason (and I know that's silly).

I understand and I feel the same way in many instances.

I think the reason is pretty simple: gaming does not necessarily get better with technology or the passage of time.  While technology can bring us cooler toys and occasionally more of them for the money (digital sculpting is occasionally quite good, plastics allow big cheap armies, apps are neat for game aids etc.) pushing toy soldiers across a table and rolling dice doesn't "age" or become out-dated.

Unfortunately the push of technology does allow everything to be made cheaper and sold cheaper.  It's actually difficult to find a quality board game if you wander into a Wal-Mart and want to pick up a copy of Sorry, Parcheesi, Monopoly etc. The cost may be excellent but I find myself looking for a copy of the game I might be able to actually keep in the family for the next 20-30 years.  We have a scrabble board with wood pieces from 1956 in our household...haven't needed to replace it yet!

New rules do not necessarily equate to better rules.  As with almost all reboots (movie franchises, cars, etc.) the manufacturer often tries to go overboard or push the boundaries when I'd personally settle for a nice visual update and a classic re-telling of said product.

My gaming group was hoping a new Warhammer Quest would come out, but one which was akin to its predecessor, hopefully with nicer minis, and higher quality printed cards etc.  While I'm sure the new game is fine, we didn't want a new game, nor Tzeentchian floor tiles.  I'm sure the new game is fine in its own right, but that's not the game I was hoping for.  It sucks a little, but it's at least some closure that there will not be a successor to the original game...so at least I can stop wondering!  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »
@nic-e and mhsellwood: Ahh, good to know, thanks guys! :)

Offline Longstrider

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 10:59:16 PM »
I think that while nostalgia is totally understandable, it's also understandable that not everyone feels the same way about things. I still occasionally grumble inwardly when I see internet complaining about Black Templars not being quite as opposed to psykers becuase I remember them being a codex compliant chapter. Someone else might think THAT's silly, because they remember when Ultramarines were a second founding chapter, or what have you.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't castigate producers when they produce dreck that's simply a way to cash in on people's memories (though, really, that's all marketing, no?), but there are times when something is made that's both good and also a way to cash in on old memories rather than rely on making new good impressions. Silver Tower at least seems to do both things.

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
Those floor tiles.......... I know the heroes are up against Tzeencth, but still... still psychedelic crap kills immersion for me. Cancelled my pre-order just because of the tiles.

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
Well, I played WFB since late 3rd edition (but mostly 4th-6th), WFRP 1st and a bit of 2nd, and WQ...so now I've (personally) had all 3 ruined by editions that followed.

Like I said, you can always play whatever version you like...but somehow it seems impossible to go back once things change.

I have this odd feeling that in a year or so GW is going to realize their mistake and try to revive "classic" Warhammer.  But it might be too late.

http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/

There is even a US oldhammer day for you. Who knows there may even be a local player. Nothing stops you continuing on with the games you love but yourself.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 12:56:57 PM »
Nothing stops you continuing on with the games you love but yourself.

True for many games...but not something like WFB where you need other people as passionate as you.  If you can't find these people you are kind of out of luck.

I played WFB almost exclusively for a decade with 4 other people just as dedicated as me.  We called each other to talk about our new armies and scenario ideas, we went on long roundtrips to new stores to buy miniatures (before eBay).   We came to each game session to reveal a newly painted unit or conversion or a surprise ally that would be the core of a new army.

It was even more awesome than I realized at the time.

Now, I find it impossible to find anyone to play anything but the 2 or 3 games that are "hot" in the US.  On occasion, If I paint up entire opposing armies, I can convince someone to try a game of something "odd"...but it's just a one shot.

In my experience there are passionate hobbyists (like me) who love the entire hobby.  They love painting, collecting, converting, building terrain, creating scenarios and campaigns, and always trying to push things in new directions getting excited about everything and anything you or other likeminded people bring to the table...and then there are the majority of people who are simply gamers, where this is simply another hobby that fills a little spare time until they move onto something else.

Finding gamers is easy, so long as I make all the effort and spend all the money.  But this is always unsatisfying.  Finding other hobbyists, especially ones with as tastes as eclectic as mine, and in a place as remote as where I live, has proven to be a very daunting task (and depressing).   

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 08:38:04 PM »
Nothing stops you continuing on with the games you love but yourself.

Well, it would help if I had a copy of the game.

The old 1990's GW games were often starter sets (AHQ, ASC) with stats for additional models. AHQ only came with one adventure, and 20 skaven models of the same sculpt. How do today's boxed games hold up for variety and replayability? While initial reviews of WQST are favorable, I'd like to know how many adventures / scenarios / campaigns the game has. As said earlier, when you buy a game from GW, you buy with the expectations that you will continue to buy more.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »
I haven't played Silver Tower yet so I can't answer the question on re-playability but it isn't necessarily true that with GW games you will be expected to buy more, especially these one off games.  Certainly I've had the new Space Hulk for about seven years now and not only haven't I bought anything new I don't think there is anything new to buy.  I haven't heard anything about more releases for the Genestealer cult game either. 

I would welcome a supplement for Betrayal At Calth but haven't heard anything about something like that. 

There are some add ons planned for Silver Tower but this doesn't seem to be the norm for these GW boxed games that are being released lately. 

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2016, 02:24:00 AM »
The My Hero app is live.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »
So did any of you end up buying this? If so, what was the game like please?

Most of the recent GW boxed board game reviews seem to concentrate on "easy" stuff like shiny models and looking at all the box contents... But there's rarely much on the games themselves (which I know for Calth and Overkill are barely worthy of being called such, but still).

Obviously, I do know it's not like the old WHQ and has no RPG elements; this is just a GW AoS-themed crawler using the WHQ name for continuity and brand recognition/reinforcement. I am still curious about how it plays however, and whether folks who have played it think it's any good.

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »
Good to see you're approaching it with an open mind, though  ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 05:11:15 PM »
I'll probably buy into the Massive Darkness to get my dungeon crawl quick fix. I sold off Dungeon Saga after being hugely underwhelmed with the stuff I received.  If I had any need for the figures in WHQST I'd jump on it.  For now, a solid pass.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
So did any of you end up buying this? If so, what was the game like please?

Most of the recent GW boxed board game reviews seem to concentrate on "easy" stuff like shiny models and looking at all the box contents... But there's rarely much on the games themselves (which I know for Calth and Overkill are barely worthy of being called such, but still).

Obviously, I do know it's not like the old WHQ and has no RPG elements; this is just a GW AoS-themed crawler using the WHQ name for continuity and brand recognition/reinforcement. I am still curious about how it plays however, and whether folks who have played it think it's any good.

I haven't bought it, but i have sold hundreds of boxes over the last week.
Everyone who has played it that ive spoken to has been really positive and  a good few have said that whilst it differs from warhammer quest, it feels like warhammer quest updated to modern dungeon crawl standards.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/