Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:33:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The ?disappointing? Gripping Beast Romans  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
The ?disappointing? Gripping Beast Romans
« on: May 14, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
I recently bought a box of the Gripping Beast plastic Romans, and whilst the minis themselves are nice enough, and certainly plentiful, I can't help but feel the archers are a little static, especially when compared to some of their other Dark Ages boxes- (the range of options in the Dark Ages Warriors box, or the Arab Spearmen)

Has anyone got any ideas how to add a little more flair to the two poses which account for two fifths of the box's contents?

I've done the first twelve (for a saga levy unit) and this is how they came out:

Offline Bone

• Assistant
Re: The ?disappointing? Gripping Beast Romans
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
Has anyone got any ideas how to add a little more flair to the two poses which account for two fifths of the box's contents?

- Cutting left arm at the shoulder - repositioning arm downward - for miniatures taking an arrow from the quiver.
- Cutting left arm at the shoulder, cut at elbow - repositioning bent arm for nocking arrow pose.
- repositioning of legs to create a horizontal shoulderline.
search Google/Youtube for archer pictures for more inspiration.

Offline Jericho

• Librarian
    • Plastic Warfare Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
Maybe you can cut the wrist of the bow holding arm so you can rotate the bow a bit, so to give it a sort of Hollywood-esque style of shooting.

You can also change the bow holding hand of one of the two shooting bodies with the empty hand of that one unarmed body. This way you can mix it up a bit so not all the archers are shooting at the same time. I don't know if that unarmed body also has a quiver on him though.
This way you could give the shooting body the empty hand and put a shield on it, put a spear arm on the righ and with some luck it'll look like he's about to chuck it.

Those are two ways that I see when quickly looking at a picture of the sprue.
Maybe the others here have better ideas.
De hem weert, ic salt hem lonen.

Plastic Warfare Blog

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Bone, I'll see what I can do with a bit of cutting and repositioning.

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 02:38:03 PM »
I didn't modify the archers too much, just added heads from the viking and saxon boxes to a few of them. Most of them got helmeted heads though.
The rest of the infantry I mixed up more, adding heads, arms and bodies from the viking, saxon and dark age boxes. This turned my 44 Romans into 67 finished models, two 12-man units of armoured guys using the armoured body and vikings and saxons, one 12-man unarmoured unit using just the models from the box (with additional heads), and one 12-man levy/limitanei unit with a few bodies from the box and the rest dark age warriors, all with round shields.
I agree that the box itself is limited (the cloned helmet heads is my biggest complaint), but it gains a lot from kit-bashing.