Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:33:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689795
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Standard" round base dimensions for individual 15/18mm miniatures?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
I intend to purchase some Blue Moon miniatures which are described as being 15/18mm.  I will use them for a skirmish game, so they will be based independently on round bases.  What size base would be considered standard, or within the range of standard?  I realize that many people use washers or coins, but I am more interested in the actual dimensions.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
If you mean the cast base of the figure, I don't think there is a standard, varies somewhat from Blue Moon figure to Blue Moon figure.  If you mean is there a standard in 15 mm generally, not that I've ever heard of.  I'd say just go with what works for you and be happy.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
If you mean the cast base of the figure, I don't think there is a standard, varies somewhat from Blue Moon figure to Blue Moon figure.  If you mean is there a standard in 15 mm generally, not that I've ever heard of.  I'd say just go with what works for you and be happy.

The latter.  It seems that most people mount the models with integral bases on a separate base for uniformity.  I expected that there is no standard, but am wondering what most people go with.  I was thinking somewhere around 15mm - 20mm bases.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
The latter.  It seems that most people mount the models with integral bases on a separate base for uniformity.  I expected that there is no standard, but am wondering what most people go with.  I was thinking somewhere around 15mm - 20mm bases.

Are you thinking about washers or something bigger, like 20mm plastic bevelled bases or laser-cut MDF or acrylic?

I'd suggest if you go for an actual skirmish, maybe it's better to opt for a small one. I used to single-base plastic 20mm figures on 10mm washers, and that was reasonably stable and not too big. Consider the space you will require for the larger bases, especially on balconies and the like, which (IMHO) tend to look oversize in 15mm far quicker than in larger scales.

I recently did some test pieces that put two 15mm on a 20mm washer Enough space for both, and big enough to handle.

Personally, I'd say 10 or 15mm washers for single figures, and "size as required" for weapons teams etc.

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
I'd suggest if you go for an actual skirmish, maybe it's better to opt for a small one...Consider the space you will require for the larger bases, especially on balconies and the like...

That.  A pet peeve with skirmish games (1:1 figs) is too-large bases that interfere with play as it relates to ground scale.

My road is along minimalist lines when it comes to basing: Enough to keep the fig in place and otherwise stay out of the way, so thin and small...cheap, too, as I punch discs out of those styrene 'for sale' signs found at hardware/DIY stores!  ; )

Some CoC guys...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I also like my bases to be unobtrusive as possible. I use pennies or nickels (sometimes quarters or washers for big figures).

However, I use metal bases only because I add basing so that I can slightly alter the height of a given figure if needed. If I wasn't doing basing, I would use thin clear plastic discs, such as the ones cut from blister packaging.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
My road is along minimalist lines when it comes to basing: Enough to keep the fig in place and otherwise stay out of the way, so thin and small...

Yep, that's also the way I do it: I use cheap steel washers with a diameter of 15mm and a thickness of 0.8mm.

Yours do look very nice though - I guess they are 10mm diameter? I might consider doing this if I weren't already stuck with 15mm.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
I use magnetic circles from Hasslefree sized to suit the figure lol

Normally the figures fit on the 20mm but some (esp monsters) go on 40mm

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
I use 12.5mm steel washers, and bought a thousand of them as a bulk lot for about half a cent each. I prefer steel so I can store the figures on magnetic sheet. The only problem with using washers is the hole in the middle, but the figure base usually covers that, and if not, the epoxy I use for gluing the figures down fills it up.

Something that is worth investigating, if you have any manufacturing engineers in the vicinity, is the waste from their hole-punching machines. If they're doing a run of holes in the sizes you want, the resulting slugs are just waste to them, so there's a good possibility you can get them for free. Plus, there's the possibility of getting slugs in other shapes than round — oval, square or rectangular, for example.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: "Standard" round base dimensions for individual 15/18mm miniatures?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 06:56:26 AM »
For squirmish i use a 1 cent coin for infantry and a 25mm round base for cavalry.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: "Standard" round base dimensions for individual 15/18mm miniatures?
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 07:14:30 AM »
I use 20 mm plastic slottabases.