Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686455
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Wolfswood rangers 13/3  (Read 81457 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. SAGA Age of Magic 12/6
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2019, 08:42:07 PM »
Welcome back! And nice to see your Starks in action!

How do you find AoM to play?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
Welcome back! And nice to see your Starks in action!

How do you find AoM to play?

I wrote a little reflection in the Age of Magic thread earlier this week, but in brief I really enjoy it. It changes up SAGA in a positive way, and we haven't found any terrible imbalances yet.

The dynamic of the game is a little different, there is more list building to ponder compared to the other universes, and magic is a little bit like rolling extra saga dice during the turn instead of at the start of the turn.

So far so good, people have had a good time coming up with themes for the different factions. I'm probably going to bash together a ranger style army over the summer holiday.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
My new Fireforge Northmen turned up the other day from their kickstarter. I got a bunch of boxes not knowing exactly what I wanted to do with them, but hey, plastics!

First impressions are alright, detail and sculpts are solid, better than other Fireforge offerings. However, I would have loved more choice of heads, and was a bit disappointed that they reuse heads between the infantry and cavalry especially. The size is better than I had hoped, I was worried they would be too big to combine well with Oathmark and Frostgrave, but they seem like they will do fine.

Overall I would say they are not quite up there with Victrix new vikings, but they are a step above Fireforge's old range.

I snapped some size comparisons:

Archers first, Perry Agincourt, Claymore Crecy English, Fireforge Northman, Frostgrave Soldier, Conquest Medieval Archer

Cavalry:
Fireforge Templar with Perry arms, Gripping Beast Dark Age Cavalry, Fireforge Northman, Perry Agincourt Knight

Infantry:
Frostgrave Barbarian, Victrix Viking, Perry Agincourt French, Frostgrave Soldier, Fireforge Northman, Fireforge Teuton Infantry, Claymore Pavisier, Oathmark Human

My first plan for these is to use the armoured horses and put Perry Agincourt knights on them. There are a number of snazzy cloaks in the Northmen kits that I'm eyeing for this unit as well. After that, we'll see. Probably a unit of spears.

Speaking of spears, I tinkered a little more with the Oathmark/GW Empire solider hybrids and replaced their spears with more regular looking ones.

What do you think?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Fireforge Northmen review 8/2
« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2019, 06:15:30 PM »
Welcome back!

Thanks for the overview on the new Fireforge range, I was worried they'd turn out being a bit too chunky compared to the other plastic ranges!

I'm liking the Oathmark/Empire-spear lads, they've got a good militia/irregulars look to them, could probably even get away with using them as some of ol' Gregor Clegane's followers

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »
The poses are still great and the simpler spears are perfect :)

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #290 on: August 03, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »
I notice the Fireforge Northmen are about the same height as the Frostgrave and Oathmark humans...when the latter are on thicker basing.  But then, the Northmen seem to have a better upright posture.  It's still a little hard for me to tell.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #291 on: August 03, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
They are a little bigger, and noticeably wide across the chest compared to Oathmark/Frostgrave. Within my tolerance.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
First prototype of a new unit of Heavy Cavalry. Perry rider on Fireforge horse, with Fireforge cloak. Extra horse armour from the Perry agincourt set. Whadd'ya think?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
I like it! Is the padded horse-armour from the new Fireforge set too?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Yeah, it's molded on the horses for the Northmen Cavalry. The chainmail is from the Perry kit.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
One more bits and pieces update; the Fireforge Northmen kickstarter included resin wolf head round shields and I bought a bunch of them just in case they turned out nice.

The resin from the kickstarter is very questionable, very soft and the character models have obvious 3d-printer lines still on the casts but the shields are fine. I decided to grab all the soldiers with heater shields and Schieldsmiede transfers, and replace them with Fireforge shields.

This is how they turned out, what do you think?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones.25/8 New wolf shields
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
Liking the shields, and they're looking good on the unit itself! Though, it might just be the lighting, but the wolf design itself might be a little dark, which hides the detail a little!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #297 on: August 30, 2019, 09:55:16 AM »
Just came across this thread and what a great one. :-* :-*
Love the kitbashing and GS on your miniatures.
Will follow with great interest. :)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #298 on: August 31, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
Thank you!

HappyChappy, yeah, I can see that. The photos make it worse, but they are dark. Will have a think about some highlights.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #299 on: August 31, 2019, 09:10:26 AM »
Love the new mounted figure, looking forward to seeing a whole unit of them.

The shields look the part on the northmen, but I’d echo HC’s comment about some highlights, great job though

:)