Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:56:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Wolfswood rangers 13/3  (Read 82174 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. A couple kitbashed infantry 3/8
« Reply #375 on: August 03, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »
The Oathmark bodies are slowly growing on me, although they seem a little short sometimes next to some of the more upright Fireforge bodies - they certainly seem t work well with Perry’s, as you’ve demonstrated ably again today.

The middle one is my favourite as well...has that tired looking posture of someone that has been on guard duty all night in the freezing cold/rain.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #376 on: August 03, 2020, 10:21:10 PM »
The Oathmark bodies are slowly growing on me, although they seem a little short sometimes next to some of the more upright Fireforge bodies - they certainly seem t work well with Perry’s, as you’ve demonstrated ably again today.

The middle one is my favourite as well...has that tired looking posture of someone that has been on guard duty all night in the freezing cold/rain.

I quite like them and have gone through almost two boxes by now. A little short next to many others but not so as to be a problem in my opinion, they look fine as short and stocky dudes.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #377 on: August 03, 2020, 11:33:37 PM »

Definitely agree, I was skeptical of them at first, but seeing them in-use with other kits, and painted up has really warmed me up to them!

(Thanks for showcasing them Ogrob!)

Offline BeardGoblin

• Assistant
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Tullys complete 30/7
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2020, 07:42:49 PM »
Really happy with the middle guy especially. All of them are Oathmark bodies with Perry French arms, heads and bits.

Thoughts?

I saw these and went straight to ebay to get myself a couple of those Perry sprue's to splice with my Oathmark stuff, so I'd say it works  :D

Also - great thread, so many amazing things to see - I need to go back through it for a closer look!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #379 on: August 16, 2020, 08:00:23 PM »
Started working again after a long summer holiday so productivity has been a bit down but I did manage to finish the additional spearmen I mentioned last page.

Only managed passable photos of how the whole unit turned out. I am still learning to use my new light box, it seems to pack a good deal more light than the last one as photos came out rather overexposed. Still, should be excellent when I get the hang of it.

So, this is what the unit of Stark spearmen now looks like. I kept the models I was happiest with and made some new ones to bring them up to strength. Most of them are Claymore French pavisiers, with some Oathmark/Perry kitbashes mixed in.

Thoughts?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Stark spearmen redone 16/8
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2020, 08:05:32 PM »
I really like your shields, even the ones without the direwolf look the part  8)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #381 on: August 16, 2020, 08:06:49 PM »
I really like your shields, even the ones without the direwolf look the part  8)

Thank you! The direwolf ones are Fireforge resin bits but the resin is so hard to get paint to stick to that I've gone with plastic round shields for newer models.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #382 on: August 16, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »
Thank you! The direwolf ones are Fireforge resin bits but the resin is so hard to get paint to stick to that I've gone with plastic round shields for newer models.

I’m guessing you’ve already tried washing the resin shields in soapy water (to get rid of any release agent)?

If that didn’t work, have you tried a light coat of Matt varnish spray, and then applying a primer? Might sound daft, but that has worked for me in the past.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #383 on: August 16, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
Looking good!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #384 on: August 17, 2020, 09:06:10 AM »
They look great!

I’m guessing you’ve already tried washing the resin shields in soapy water (to get rid of any release agent)?

If that didn’t work, have you tried a light coat of Matt varnish spray, and then applying a primer? Might sound daft, but that has worked for me in the past.

I've not tried that before, I'll have to give that a shot as well!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #385 on: August 17, 2020, 04:10:14 PM »
I've not tried that before, I'll have to give that a shot as well!

Me either, will definitly give it a go. Thanks Akula!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 04:34:42 PM by Ogrob »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #386 on: August 17, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »
Me either, will definitly give it a go. Thanks Akula!

Try it on a couple of shields, rather than a whole regiment...I’d hate to be accused of turning your prized builds into molten slag....  ;) :D

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »
Been a very slow autumn for me as far as hobbying goes. I've been playing less and painting has been almost non-existant.

However, I did find myself at the hobby desk for a bit today and had a bit of an idea that I liked well enough to photograph and post here. In an earlier post I showed a unit of spearmen mostly made from Antedlivian scots, and that same company has four Scottish knights that I grabbed at the same time. Pike equipped knights doesn't really work for me though, so I had a go at putting some Perry arms on one of the bodies.

I think he looks pretty decent, what do you think?

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Foot knight kitbash 11/10
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2020, 09:22:06 PM »
Nice cavalry.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Foot knight kitbash 11/10
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »
I'd say the kitbash looks good!

And agreed, as much as I love the sculpts, I'm not sure where I'd field the pike-armed knights! The Perry arms make a good fit in that case!