Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Wolfswood rangers 13/3  (Read 81461 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 3/1 Dire Wolves
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
And I finished another unit of Stark soliders. Some kind of billmen, axemen or men-at-arms (if you use Fantasy terminology). Some Oathmark bodies, some of the usual Perry conversions, and quite a lot of Claymore Castings excellent new-ish French infantry. The leader of the unit is a Hasslefree model from their kickstarter last year.

What do you think?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 7/1 Stark soldiers painted
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2019, 02:40:51 PM »
The blend of figure manufacturers works really well for the Starks - love the dire wolves as well.

I’ve always pictured the Northern Houses as much less uniform than the Southerners, based upon they’ve got more ground to cover, the weather being harsher, smaller runs of equipment etc.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 2/12 Stark soldiers
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
Ghost is a Bad Squiddo Fenris.

I've looked all over the Bad Squiddo site but can't find the wold mini, do you have a link please?
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 2/12 Stark soldiers
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2019, 03:38:36 PM »
I've looked all over the Bad Squiddo site but can't find the wold mini, do you have a link please?

Got it in a KS. Will have a look for you when I get home.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2019, 03:46:51 PM »
Starks look really battle ready and true northern!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
Starks look really battle ready and true northern!

Even the musician looks like he’d nut a woolly mammoth.

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
Nice work on those Starks! Those Claymore Castings infantry are pretty rad, I like how dynamically they're posed!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2019, 07:41:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive comments! Helps keep the motivation going.

@Akula: Really agree there about the uniformity. If I was going to go back and work on Lannisters I would want them all in the same gear, probably straight builds from the same kits.

@Dr De'ath: Found the link, Bad Squiddo Fenrir

@HappyChappy: Agree, love Claymore. The sculpts are some of the best I've had from any company or game, and they just get better and better. If you go back a bit, I used a lot of parts from their one mounted set to build my Lannister knights.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
Thought I'd get a quick shot of the full force. As you can see I've rebased most of the models posted previously in the thread.

Now onto some light cavalry. I've taken some of the builds I posted earlier, and decided to do a unit of all clansmen, so Wulls, Liddles and so on.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
Splendid  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »
Lovin. This thread, look forward to seeing your take on the clansmen
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22:11 PM »
Nicely done! Really impressive to see the full force arrayed together!

(Also those wolves are HUGE)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2019, 12:23:09 AM »
It's strange how I much prefer your conversions to the "official" ASOIAF miniatures line. The ASOIAF minis are lovely sculpts in their own right, but yours have a lot more soul to them and each soldier is clearly an individual - that's something really special especially when found in a "horde" army like this one.

Regrettably I have to say that I may steal the idea for using Fenrir models from Bad Squiddo from you. They're fantastic and have a lot of presence.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »
Thank you!

Go ahead and steal any idea you like. Only one wolf is Bad Squiddo, the other two are Dire Wolves from Otherworld Miniatures.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »
"The quarrelsome clans of the rugged northwest are a hardy people who, like other northmen, claim descent from the First Men and worship the old gods. There are roughly forty mountain clans, large and small, the most prominent of which are the First Flints, the Wulls, the Norreys, the Burleys, the Harclays, the Liddles, and the Knotts. The most powerful of the clans are the Wulls.

The Flints and Norreys live closest to the Gift, and are thus the most exposed to wildling raiders who cross the Gorge. Clan Norrey in particular is a noted friend of the Night's Watch. Living along the Bay of Ice, the Wulls and other clans have also clashed with the ironborn in the past. These threats and their own inter-clan feuds have instilled a fierce martial spirit in the mountain folk.

In battle, clan champions fight with huge two-handed greatswords or axes and sometimes armor themselves with mail byrnies. The common men sling stones or wield staffs of mountain ash. Clansmen wear ragged skins and studded leathers. Some disguise themselves with leaves and brush for arboreal fighting. They breed hardy mounts in their high valleys and mountain meadows."
- A Wiki of ice and fire

I revisited some of my earlier Light Cavalry builds with the purpose of assembling a unit of ten light cavalry. In 9th Age the list I'm looking at can only field light cavalry with spears, not bows.

I put together a couple of more of Gripping Beast's Dark Age cavalry and found that with some headswaps they are really nice. The horses are a little smaller, but work for hardy mountain ponies. There are also a couple of Fireforge bodies and two Bad Squiddo shieldmaidens in there.  The painting is not my best work, but it will do the job on the tabletop.

What do you think?