Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690764
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building Martian skyships and Pijlie's Skyship rules: Action pictures!!!!!!!!  (Read 13607 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Oh, dear.  Well done!  Scratchbuild heaven...
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Some more progress today on the Martian Skyships.

I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Very nice!

How do you propose the Martians control/steer their skyships?

Where is that balustrade from?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Oh that's the easy question! The platform at the rear will (if all goes well) carry a transparent dome housing the steering wheel. This will control the wings and tailfins that function as steering sails by manipulating the airflow during flight.

Lift will come from liftwood panels built into the hull. As you might know, liftwood gains its anti-gravitational properties by aligning the wood grain in a certain way. Through this the helmsman can control altitude.

With steering and lift taken care of, there is the question of propulsion. Now that is a brain-wracker, as I don't want to ruin the streamline by adding screws and such.....  :D

The balustrade is made by a friend of mine who does lasercut work. See http://www.patslasercuttings.nl/

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
I am considering something like the screws of Nemo's Nautilus from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie.

As of yet no idea how to make those, btw.....

If anyone has a better idea, I am open to suggestions!  :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
If anyone has a better idea, I am open to suggestions!  :)

For native Martian craft I've always thought I'd use some kind of "solar" sail that mimics traditional sailing vessels but catches some "ethereal" alien current.

Could be problematic for purposes of play although.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Hmmm. Interesting concept. I might be able to use the wing hardpoints in a different way. Must not become too heavy though. Drawing board time....  ;D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Could be problematic for purposes of play although.

That part would really concern me, I love the look but where can you put them without them getting in the way. The first picture with the wings to the back might be best I guess.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Interesting thread  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
That part would really concern me, I love the look but where can you put them without them getting in the way. The first picture with the wings to the back might be best I guess.

The wings would need to be to the rear and lower half of the model, or the deck would be inaccesssible. Since they "fly" on their standards that should not be a problem. But the challenge is to make them look like sails without making them too flimsy.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
I've found tissue paper drenched in PVA dries very sturdy and thin, getting it to dry in the right orientation might be a challenge.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
I've found tissue paper drenched in PVA dries very sturdy and thin, getting it to dry in the right orientation might be a challenge.

I used it before to make tents and such, but even dry it is not very sturdy, especially such a large surface as a sail on one of these ships. The same trick with cloth (cotton or something) would be possible I think.

I build them with the wings they have now and, since these are fixed to be removed for transport, will experiment with sails  afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:47:09 PM by Pijlie »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
If you are going for cloth, try silk. That may be your lightest option.
If you did the sails with spines, like a Chinese junk (or a bat wing) you could put in something relatively thin and lightweight - bamboo skewers perhaps - to aid stability.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
If you are going for cloth, try silk. That may be your lightest option.

I've used calico material successfully as sails before.

Also I would consider light gauge wire to support the shape of the sails or act as guide lines for hanging them.

Regardless I always make my masts/sails detachable for storage so I would use small hooks as anchors, positioned around the ship, for the wires to attach to - again makes the piece less friendly for the placement of figures.

Hard to see but this is an example of how I've used "hooks" to attach sails before. There is enough give to detach the hook, but generally the line remains taunt.