Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge Plastic Medieval Russians  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
Fireforge Plastic Medieval Russians
« on: May 20, 2016, 04:25:46 AM »
They look awkward assembled on the Facebook page but the parts will expand our kitbashing variations!

http://fireforge-games.com/fireforge-games-miniatures/coming-soon/russian-infantry-coming-soon
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: Fireforge Plastic Medieval Russians
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:52:14 AM »
I also saw it first on their Facebook page yesterday, these could be lots of fun.  :-*

"Aimed released date second half of june."

Pictures from
https://www.facebook.com/Fireforge-Games-271339052885426/?fref=ts
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:53:51 AM by Engel »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:56:13 AM »
Wow, they look really bad. Maybe the bodies could be salvaged for kitbashing though.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:16:48 AM »
They look like old 1/72 Revell figures from the seventies...  :? May be some clearer pics would help.

That said, I agree about the bits potential - how many of these will be bought just for that lovely not-Lannister shield..?  lol

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »
Can't say i'm overly impressed. Looking at that last archer on the right. Those 'judo chop' right hands are naff ( in comparison to the latest perry archers and Frostgrave's archer hands), can barely see any fingers, or his coif. The thumbs on the spear arms also put me off. The detail overall makes these look like someone has green stuff cast the originals. I hope these are renders or 'WIP' or something.

Perhaps a decent paint job will change my mind, but currently I think the detail is very shallow and will lose some edge if spray painted/painted too heavily.

(Always end on a high note) However, more plastic bits, from a different area of the age is always welcome for kitbash!!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »
I think this only a test shot so if expect the detail on the finished Sprue to be better defined. I like them though, but I am going to mix and match them with my Frostgrave stuff.  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:19 AM »
I only wish for someone to start making some decent full sleved chainmail arms. And chainmail that goes past the knees.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »
I think the picture has a poor definition, the sprue shot on TMP looks more detailed.I thought Fireforge had ditched the plastics in flavour of resin for this range?

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
I think they don't look to bad, quality of the pictures i think don't really do them justice, but i can see these being pretty colourful once done, i think plastic has come along way in the last couple of years, i painted up some Perry WOR 28mm plastics, everybody seems to never criticize these, yet i think the detail is poor to pick out those small things like belt buckles ect.

I don't know if its a Perry thing and nobody speaks up but i think these above look far better even if it is a poor photo shoot.
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »
i painted up some Perry WOR 28mm plastics, everybody seems to never criticize these, yet i think the detail is poor to pick out those small things like belt buckles ect.

I have to admit I have the first WOTR kit they produced and gave up as I couldn't get into it and found them difficult to paint. But I haven't bought any plastic since so I have nothing to compare to. Clearly amazing things can be done with them though.

Back to the thread I think these minis certainly have potential, I don't think the photo does them justice. The hands releasing arrow look a bit ropey but other than that more fodder for the plastics pile. I certainly can't wait to see what people on here do with them.

Pose-wise they look nicer than the original Fireforge which I always see as a bit oddly proportioned/overly dynamic but I suppose that comes down to personal taste.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »
Some oddness to them but I'll wait to see them nicely painted; I bet they'll look pretty decent. One thing I've noticed is that multi-part bits look a bit weirder on any figure in chainmail as the joins are more obvious.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »
I think the heads look really cool. The spear poses are a bit redundant and awkward but the others look good to me.

You guys are a tough crowd! Personally I appreciate comments that talk about the aspects of the figures that are good or bad. Sweeping, dismissive comments like "those are bad" not so useful and not so fair in my opinion.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
Hmmmm. Not as good as i was hoping for. The resin figures are great. There are certainly some useful parts here. The archery poses are bad. That is not the pose of men firing bows. But I'll reserve judgement until the final product appears. Generally FF has been getting better, so it would certainly be a pity if these are a step back. The greens looked a lot better than this. So fingers crossed.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »
I have a fairly large batch of these on the way from the FF ForgeStarter. Even assuming for the picture quality, I have to say that I don't like the archers the way they are posed. I'm hoping that once I get my order in the mail, I'll get some better poses from the parts. I received the command group resins and they look good.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
I only wish for someone to start making some decent full sleved chainmail arms. And chainmail that goes past the knees.

Hear, hear!
Proper hauberks are really scarce in the plastic ranges!

I think the shown minis could probably be assembled much better, and improved by slight modifications. And almost every short-sleeved mail arms out there can be used for kitbashing.

But those spear-arms... NOBODY holds a spear like that - the upper arm should be almost vertical, not pointing sideways away from the body like that. And if you raise the spear, the upper arm would be extended forward, and still not sit in that angle. It is just a very unnatural pose.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84