Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:33:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's Gods, Mortals, and All Things Ancients  (Read 9314 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Argonor's Gods, Mortals, and All Things Ancients
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:34:46 PM »
As if I did not have sufficient projects to last me several lifetimes over, I recently acquired OGAM, and I imagine that I am going to spend many hours playing this unit-driven incarnation of the SoBaH system.

I can see myself play large battles with or without the presence of deities, and until a large army can be fielded, the system will serve me as a bridge between Blood Eagle warbands and SAGA/Dragon Rampant.

SO, where to begin?

I happen to have a bunch of WGF Caesarean Romans, so I am going to make a Jupiter (Zeus) warband based on the Greek Pantheon.

My starting warband will be:

Deity:
Jupiter

Legends:
Centurion
Harpy

Mortals:
8 Legionaires
6 Veteran Legionaires
4 Satyrs

For Satyrs, I am going to use some old GW Chaos Beastmen of which I purchased a bunch some months ago, along with some plastic Bretonnians I am going to use for Dragon Rampant.

most of the Beastmen needs stripping, though, so I applied science in the form of my ultrasonic cleaning device:

This is what one of the guys looked like after a couple of treatments, followed by using first a soft acrylic, then a brass 'leather brush':

I am also going to make a Lizardman warband, using the Slann as the Deity, for which I shall construct profiles from the open points system.

I recently came across this painted army at a VERY low price (about £60), and although I intended it for God of Battles, it can easily be turned into other purposes as well (and should be, according to the maxim I do all my hobby projects by).

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:37:56 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Argonor's OGAM Opulence
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »
Can't restrain myself  lol

Bought these NIB second hand:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:49:09 AM by Argonor »

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 05:21:11 AM »
Argonor, can You tell me what is the content of spartan box? There is no clear information on warlord website, i just found that they offer three different hoplite sprues -standard with 8 bodies, spartan upgrade with two bodies and pilos heads, and command sprue with musician and commander. I'm actually curious what is the content of their third box: classical greek phalanx -i bought one and it had four standard sprues and four spartan upgrade -as if ot were spartans in the wrong box, or as if spartans and classical phalanx didn't differ

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
I can see myself play large battles with or without the presence of deities, and until a large army can be fielded, the system will serve me as a bridge between Blood Eagle warbands and SAGA/Dragon Rampant.

OGAM is a nice game :D I started with some norse and did the same thing using as OGAM Norse, Lion Rampant, SAGA and Blood Eagle viking Warband.
Just plan a little your purchases (with your mates as well) and you can get the max out of them.
http://pippoweb.blogspot.it/search/label/OGAM
Ciao
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »

Nice!
Gonna visit this thread regularly :D

I really like the Greeks by Immortal (now with the Warlord badge)

Really good looking miniatures.
Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 12:26:24 AM »
Argonor, can You tell me what is the content of spartan box? There is no clear information on warlord website, i just found that they offer three different hoplite sprues -standard with 8 bodies, spartan upgrade with two bodies and pilos heads, and command sprue with musician and commander. I'm actually curious what is the content of their third box: classical greek phalanx -i bought one and it had four standard sprues and four spartan upgrade -as if ot were spartans in the wrong box, or as if spartans and classical phalanx didn't differ

I'll take some photos one of the next days.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:23:45 PM by Argonor »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »
I'll take some photos one of the next days.

I completely forgot about this - I shall see if I can get it done this weekend.

In the meantime, I have acquired and paintstripped this:

Khaela Mensha Khaine is going to lead various bands of Elves in OGAM (and is also going to be used in other games as well), as soon as I get him cleaned up, assembled, primed, and painted.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 01:51:28 AM »
Seems that I keep forgetting about this - been busy with other projects. I shall try to get some work done on this project before Christmas (and take some pics of those box contents).

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
It's not like I'm in hurry - I've already purchased the boxes (and painted the content) and I won't return them if it turn out that something was packed wrong (wich is not that uncommon, someone here had similar problem with his box missing some sprues and containing other).

You may post pictures of already painted minis, I will figure out what parts were used to build them - it seems that there is one more mysterious hoplite sprue in warlord's range apart from those listed on their website

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Argonor's Gods, Mortals, and All Things Ancients
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »
Well, my OGAM project(s) still haven't kicked in full throttle, but I have purchased this:

What scale should I aim for, if I decide to collect a couple of fleets?

I can see the benefits of 1:1200, but larger scales, for instance 1:300, could be used for combined arms games (of course, land ops could just be played in another scale on another table).

Input and good sources for ships would be greatly appreciated!  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
OK, I was just looking at the NavWar site... A website where you can electronically create your order... and then have to print and post or fax it???. In the 21st Century, wtf??
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:13:20 PM by Argonor »

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »
Xyston miniatures does quite a few 1/600 scale ancient ships, might be worth a look.

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »
Tumbling dice do a good range of cheap ships.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 10:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the answers - naval stuff a bit on back burner for the time being. Will revisit the subject at a later date.

Now, regarding OGAM, I really need to mock up a couple of warbands and try it out during the holidays. Hold me to it!  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
After a nearly one year hobby hiatus, I have finally returned to my prepping station:

I am building (for now) a warband for Broken Legions (but expect to also use the Greeks for OGAM, SBH, and A Fantastic SAGA, at least).

More details on my blog, as I have also resumed making updates (but no further pics there atm, this is how far I got today).