Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:08:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chinese terrain?  (Read 14990 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Chinese terrain?
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
Hi all

Just a quick question - who makes Chinese terrain? Buildings, walls, graveyards etc. is what I'm looking for.

I know about Monolith Design's range and will probably pick up some bits from them, but are there any other manufacturers out there that I can get ready-mades from?

I could scratchbuild some, I suppose, but I'd rather keep all my fingers and have something that actually looks the part rather than a hideous misshapen lump.

Any ideas?   ???

Thanks!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Chinese terrain?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Redoubt Enterprises have a couple of items in their Boxer Rebellion range including some walls, and a nice building.
http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=d582fffe91ddf133579ca391277ae5be

Curteys Miniatures have some multi part buildings and some nice walling, the buildings look very similar in design to the Monolith ones.Probably more in keeping with what you want them for.
http://curteysminiatures.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&zenid=9884badc2e1bff83ec1174602d5eaae2
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
AAhh, that Crafty boy Lowtardog beat me to it on the Curteys ones and he is absolutely right they have a sale on. Get your order in quick laddie. ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
Talk to Dodge about walls ;) ;)

Its actaully Japanese but the John Jenkins stuff if you can get it is the mutts.

Thought you would wait and see what was at Vapnartak? I could go and keep prodding you whilst you attempted to buy stuff ;D
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »
You want to make your own, I did and they turned out ok for my first time.

Walls are quite straight forward, flat polystyrene packing about 1/2 inch thick cut to height and length , polyfiller and then use the mould that svenn sent me ( which I haven't managed to do yet) for the pantiles. then paint.

I'm doing some more this week hopefully, including the wall pantiles.

But you can always buy monolith or john jenkins they are all good, I just like spending my money on figures and vehicles and paint really.

I've got a thread on chinese buildings going somewhere try the bob section  :D

dodge

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
Cheers guys!  :)

I've been on the Curteys site loads recently and never realised they made houses. I am a foolish Bob today.  ::)

And I really don't want to make my own, I'm afraid. Cack handedness costs thumbs. I'm quite happy to pay someone else to make them and just paint them myself.

@ Svennn - I'm going to have a scout about at Vapa, yes, before I order anything. Have you become my own personal devil? "Go on, buy it... you know you want it... It'll look great with that thing you were thinking about the other day.... So you need to buy that too...."

I'm going to need someone to volunteer to wear a halo and follow me round at my other shoulder.  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »
@ Svennn - I'm going to have a scout about at Vapa, yes, before I order anything. Have you become my own personal devil? "Go on, buy it... you know you want it... It'll look great with that thing you were thinking about the other day.... So you need to buy that too...."

I'm going to need someone to volunteer to wear a halo and follow me round at my other shoulder.  lol

Not much chance of that happening around here.... And did we mention there's a sale on at Curteys at the moment, that's A SALE ON AT THE MOMENT...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »
 :D :D ;D :D ;D

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
Svennn make building for Bollyjob to paint if want to.

Oh I am a whore.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
You know, one of these days I'm going to learn to stop asking you lot for help.  lol

I just had a look at the Curteys stuff, and I'm afraid I'm not that taken with it. Maybe its just the photos. Still, regardless of the SALE NOW ON (thanks Nick), I think I'll wait and see it in person at Vapnartak. Might look better in the hand.

Svennn, between building aeronefs for people and bespoke houses, you could be a Chinese sweatshop all on your own. I'll take your offer under consideration, thanks for that.  :)

Edit: Just thought, Redoubt are gonna be at York as well. Crap, I'm gonna have to keep things in the car and sneak them in one at a time when she's out.  o_o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:30:15 PM by JollyBob »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 04:52:26 PM »
You know, one of these days I'm going to learn to stop asking you lot for help.  lol

I just had a look at the Curteys stuff, and I'm afraid I'm not that taken with it. Maybe its just the photos. Still, regardless of the SALE NOW ON (thanks Nick), I think I'll wait and see it in person at Vapnartak. Might look better in the hand.

Svennn, between building aeronefs for people and bespoke houses, you could be a Chinese sweatshop all on your own. I'll take your offer under consideration, thanks for that.  :)

Edit: Just thought, Redoubt are gonna be at York as well. Crap, I'm gonna have to keep things in the car and sneak them in one at a time when she's out.  o_o

You will have to be especially careful with purchases now you are getting married. Just you wait until she gets that ring on her finger lol lol lol

I have some of the Monolith stuff and its very nice, especially the Temple. It features in Grimms pulpy Asia town on the Back Of Beyond Board.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »
I was thinking about getting the temple from them, actually. Need one for the hopping vampire and his zombie minions to hang out in...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
Time and time again on the many fora I have defended Curteys range. Probably because I have a Zhou, a Sung, a Han and a Mongol army from them. Must say I have never been tempted by the buildings though. The walls are nice but very simple to replicate and personalise much cheaper though.

I have started, but its well on the back burner, scratching a palace and part of the forbidden city. I have also sketched out a 1930's Shanghai and bought quite a few bits to use but not started it. My other big plan is a Liang Shang Po type fortress. I can dream.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »
Svennn make building for Bollyjob to paint if want to.

Oh I am a whore.

Take him up on his offer , his buildings are great , the one in the lead painters competition was ace.

Walls, as Svenn says, are just as easy to do yourself.

You should have a go , I did and I'm cack handed too, I'm happy with it and so will you be. go on have a go its cheaper too.

;D

dodge