Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chinese terrain?  (Read 14991 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Chinese terrain?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »
Its actaully Japanese but the John Jenkins stuff if you can get it is the mutts.

John Jenkins is great but I thought they'd stopped producing it last autumn ?

If you're looking at generic eastern, Hovels have some Japanaese pieces, Stronghold/Village Green used to have some bits, Sheltrum have some interesting pieces (especially the suicide wheelbarrow bomber), and Mainly Miniatures used to have some Vietnam pieces (particularly overgrown jungle temple statues) that might fit in.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »
Cheers fastolfrus, I had a look at them. Well, I tried to.

Scheltrum have some interesting models, I might go back there for another look one day, and not just for the Chinese stuff. A nice rickety watchtower piece though, that might get bought at some point.

I can't find Mainly Miniatures at all, and Stronghold have the worst website in the world. Its confusing, has next to no pictures, and all the links that I want to open lead to dead pages and 404 messages. I'm surprised they ever sell anything.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 12:01:51 AM »
We've found that with Stronghold in the past, but he is often at Vapnartak.
Last year he was selling scenery by weight.

Mainly Military are quite an old firm (dating back to the 1970s) and the Vietnam pieces are listed as 20mm, but the statues are a reasonable size and paint up nicely :

http://www.mainlymilitary.com/

They also have some rice stooks and a rice stack, but obviously most of the Vietnam stuff is sandbagged emplacements.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »
Cheers fastolfrus, I had a look at them. Well, I tried to.

Scheltrum have some interesting models, I might go back there for another look one day, and not just for the Chinese stuff. A nice rickety watchtower piece though, that might get bought at some point.

I can't find Mainly Miniatures at all, and Stronghold have the worst website in the world. Its confusing, has next to no pictures, and all the links that I want to open lead to dead pages and 404 messages. I'm surprised they ever sell anything.

I think the guy goes on frothers

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
Ah, yeah, its Tardis isn't it?  :)

Unfortunately he's not trading at Vapnartak this year because of ill health. Shame. I remember seeing some of his stuff at last years show now, it was pretty good quality. Darn.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 09:05:21 AM »

Just a quick question - who makes Chinese terrain?

Grimm!  :D

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:44 AM »
And as an afterthought - what sort of trees are there in China? Can I get away with a mix of the stuff I would normally use for Europe, or do they need to be a little more exotic?  ???

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
And as an afterthought - what sort of trees are there in China? Can I get away with a mix of the stuff I would normally use for Europe, or do they need to be a little more exotic?  ???

Stands of bamboo, obviously. Remember that they always come with a giant panda lumbering about and a kung fu champion prancing about on the tip of the stalks. I believe its the natural biotop of both.

Cherry and lotus trees seem to abound abound in ink and rice paper paintings and a kind of gnarly fir tree.

China is big and has everything from tundra to desert and jungle but if I may suggest something it is hilly landscape with suger cone peaks and rice paddies in the vales. Nothing says China like that, with perhaps the exception of the Great Wall or Tiananmen Square.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »
Good advice Hammers.  :) I'll need to invest in some conifers then. And bamboo.

I was planning to do a valley bottom, i.e. a few hills to the sides, with a small river, a village on one side and temple/graveyard on the other. There will hopefully be enough room for a small wood, or at least a few trees among the hills, and if I can work out how to do it, a paddy field. Also a wooden bridge accross the river.

Its only for skirmish games, so I don't want to go too crazy and clutter up a small board, but it would be nice to have a choice of features to scatter about for different scenarios. So I guess I'm thinking everything needs to be modular and easily removable.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »
Good advice Hammers.  :) I'll need to invest in some conifers then. And bamboo.

I was planning to do a valley bottom, i.e. a few hills to the sides, with a small river, a village on one side and temple/graveyard on the other. There will hopefully be enough room for a small wood, or at least a few trees among the hills, and if I can work out how to do it, a paddy field. Also a wooden bridge accross the river.

Its only for skirmish games, so I don't want to go too crazy and clutter up a small board, but it would be nice to have a choice of features to scatter about for different scenarios. So I guess I'm thinking everything needs to be modular and easily removable.

And there was me thinking it was going to be a small 4x4ft table with a temple and the edge of a town... Scale creep by anychance?  ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »
Its not all to go on at once!  lol

It will still fit on a 4x4. I just like having extra options. And you can't just have a flat board with a couple of buildings on it can you? Needs some local colour...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 08:57:05 AM »
Its not all to go on at once!  lol

It will still fit on a 4x4. I just like having extra options. And you can't just have a flat board with a couple of buildings on it can you? Needs some local colour...

8ftx8ft more like lol lol
Sounds great though, must start to think about organising my warband and that panda ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »
Willow trees.

You must have willow trees by the little bridge and the pagoda.

Paint all the built up scenery blue and leave the table white.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »

China is big and has everything from tundra to desert and jungle

Yes!, they recently imported olive trees and now are making chinese olive oil !?!?!?!
argsilverson

Offline terrain_sherlock

• Schoolboy
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
Pet Smart..?   Or online.. see link..

http://www.aquariumguys.com/asian-decorations.html