Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chinese terrain?  (Read 14959 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: Chinese terrain?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:13 AM »
Great stuff guys.
Seriously, don't be frightened to have a go at building your own terrain.
If you reckon youll only make wonky walls to start with try adobe/mud walls using foamcore/expanded polysterene and polyfilla. The best thing though is to find a photo of an actual building and adapt it, rather than try to conjure up a more generic building. Its the little attention to detail that makes the model stand out. Start small and simple and add to it - scenic stuff like walls, ruins, etc. It was years before I plucked up the courage to do brickwork. Also little tricks like making your own modelling tools. I have one for doing brick courses. As for the thatch - its a very simple process thats cumulative. It took me an hour (20mins per side and 10 mins for the edges and top). These are tools I used to model armour on my Mumakil. Makes the whole process much quicker

Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 11:08:06 AM »
I had seen articles on using fur and did not want to use modelling putty on such a large area so decided to give it ago.

Local dressmaking/craft store - cost me £3.00 for which I got far too much but they would not sell me less - two square metres o_o and it is bright purple and makes a fantastic mess when you cut it ::)

Walls are foamcore covered in wall filler, balsa frames and doors. Probably spent 2 hours on them start to finish but then you have to factor in the hours and hours of drying time on the fur inbetween.

Will put textured bases and a few details when I can get to buy some suitable sheets.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:52 AM »
Svenn do you pva the teddy fur with a watered down solution?

and where do you buy your balsa wood from? I see it at hobbycraft down the road from work but am not sure whether its too expensive or not

dodge

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 09:04:02 AM »
Dan, the gatehouse is fantastic. what did you use for the base? Is it railway cobbles from Wills or similar?

Thanks , I was hoping someone would ask . :D
The base was made from the old plastic doors from a shower unit I had ripped out from the bathroom when renovating . I have three sheets about a foot wide by six feet tall . I sanded the high points off to get a better look . Its quite brittle and needs lots of scoring before snapping in two . Hence I'm unable to get very accurate results .
I'm going to try and make some embankments and houses out of it eventually.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »
Thanks Dan but thats not very helpfull is it :) You show us the perfect textured material and then tell us we cant get any of it :'(
You even tell us you wanted asking so you could give us this useless information :D :D

Dodge, I get balsa from a local model/rc shop. It varies in price but the precut strips about 3ft long are around 50p and sheets,4"x3' about £1.00.

I attached the fur in strips and did apply watered down pva. Because you are adding a lot more moisture which has to evaporate before the latex can kick in and set it takes hours to dry out. The fur is not condusive either being man made but it works eventually.

Try and get good air flow as this helps. Warm air flow even better but air is better than warmth. I resorted to sticking them in front of the tumble dryer outlet hose. I probably would try a stronger pva solution with less water next time myself. It should work neat but it would be hard work to apply. My mate in Southbourne keeps telling me there is a decent model(railway?) shop near him and a better one in Poole?

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
That would probably be Boscombe models then, seems close to southbourne.

And setchfields in Poole I expect.

I will check them out.

dodge

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »
Thanks Dan but thats not very helpfull is it :) You show us the perfect textured material and then tell us we cant get any of it :'(
You even tell us you wanted asking so you could give us this useless information :D :D

:D  I'm a sick bastard sometimes  ;D but I guess it makes up for all the stuff I cant get here .

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2009, 10:49:40 PM »
Mainly Military are quite an old firm (dating back to the 1970s) and the Vietnam pieces are listed as 20mm, but the statues are a reasonable size and paint up nicely :
http://www.mainlymilitary.com/

Now under new management :
http://www.chilternminiatures.co.uk/catalog/

But the Vietnam pieces still look good
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)