Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Game of Thrones Custom Board Game. Need Ideas  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
Game of Thrones Custom Board Game. Need Ideas
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »
Hey guys this is a custom board game for GoT. It is not like the game by Fantasy Flight games but rather lie Age of empires meets monopoly meets total war. I want to expand it so that each Great house has smaller houses that will give them armies when you do a certain task/pay them. Also I need an idea for how to incorporate the White Walkers

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
Re: Game of Thrones Custom Board Game. Need Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »
More Pictures

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
And more still

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
 :o :o :o

That is a seriously impressive undertaking so far.
 :-* :-* :-*

I have no idea how to expand on your existing ideas so far without more information, but maybe you could incorporate some of the ideas from RISK regarding bonuses for controlling certain areas?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »
That looks amazing!  :o 8)

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »
there are many rules but the basic framework is you get resources from tribute form any Castle you own. Use those resources to build different types of Armies.
Infantry are good against Pikemen, Pikemen good against Cavalry, Cvalry good against Archers and Infantry and Archers good against Infantry and Pikemen. Much like Age of Empires games. the more the advantage the more dice you roll. Each Great house has certain Advantages and disadvantages. Example, Greyjoys have the best Ships, while the Lannisters have the best Cavalry, etc.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
there are many rules but the basic framework is you get resources from tribute form any Castle you own. Use those resources to build different types of Armies.
Infantry are good against Pikemen, Pikemen good against Cavalry, Cvalry good against Archers and Infantry and Archers good against Infantry and Pikemen. Much like Age of Empires games. the more the advantage the more dice you roll. Each Great house has certain Advantages and disadvantages. Example, Greyjoys have the best Ships, while the Lannisters have the best Cavalry, etc.

I just inquired further on the Medieval Adventure Forum. 

So, to your question about White Walkers, that is tricky. After all, we don't know much about what drives them so what's their "currency", what "resources" are they managing within and what are their limitations/disadvantages?

What power are they drawing upon to raise the dead into armies of Wights? 

We know they're dependent upon the weather - in particular Winter.  Maybe you run them as a random NPC-type force tied to a mechanism that generates the advance of winter down from the North Beyond the Wall?

I guess I'm wondering if you have Wildings and the Night's Watch as factions in your game?  As they are the first line of defense against the WW.

I would think that there's some sort of dynamic where all the factions have to divert resources to the Night's Watch to protect Westeros, with the North having more at stake and the NW having to consider making alliance with the Free Folk.

I think you'd be better off focusing on the dynastic rivalries of the Seven Kingdoms and leaving the WW out of it as they don't follow feudal conventions.

With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 06:28:55 PM »
Great ideas. Especially the other kingdoms funding the NW

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
The white walkers could just be a fancy timer mechanic? To force the players into action, instead of just sitting around stockpiling.

And oh... What an Impressive setup!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
The white walkers could just be a fancy timer mechanic? To force the players into action, instead of just sitting around stockpiling.

I like this idea.
Nothing like forcing a 'countdown' situation to spice things up.
Anyone played Arkham Horror?
 ;)

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:49 PM »
Love that idea. Going to start a think tank

Pictures of the game boxes with Decals for different Houses
Tyrell, Greyjoy, Bolton, Clegane, Baratheon of Dragonstone, Dothraki (Not a House I know) Lannister, and House Baratheon. Other sides have Stark, Arryn, Martell and Targaryen

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 08:03:29 PM »
Game player locations. Each house sits at a different area of the map

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Board Map

Offline Chrisbon49

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »
I want to update some of my armies.
I think House Martell should have a move Arabian/Spanish armor design
Thoughts? also what other houses should have particular designs

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
Great figures  :-*
What are they?

My thoughts on Dorne (and it's just a personal view) is that a maybe Hispanic vibe is about right. But the HBO portrayal of Dorne as some kind of pseudo-Middle Eastern culture, is completely wrong.

Consider this - look at a map of Westeros. The lands of House Tyrell are adjacent to House Martell. Same latitude and neighbouring cultures. And yet in all the illustrations in books and games as well as the HBO series, Tyrell are resolutely portrayed as Western European in their verdant and fertile farmlands, orchards and vineyards. Martell, right next door, are invariably portrayed as a totally different, exotic, pseudo Saracen culture living in a sweltering climate. Doesn't make sense. It's just an easy way of forcing some kind of radical difference on the main houses, because it's more interesting that way for art directors. Martin essentially describes a largely homogenous, medieval knightly culture which stretches from one end of Westeros to the other. They all use high medieval style heraldry, live in castles, and take part in tournaments and jousting. So the Starks are not hairy, grungy half-barbarians, the Ironborn are not Vikings, and the Martells are not Arabs. The Seven Kingdoms are all, broadly, medieval European.

Martin certainly portrays other distinctive and recognisable cultures - Arabic, Steppe nomads, African etc - but they are all in Essos.

That's my oft-repeated theory, and I'm sticking to it  :)