Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Martian Alley - the Capture of the 'Golden Malagor'  (Read 10336 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Martian Alley - the Capture of the 'Golden Malagor'
« on: June 02, 2016, 03:41:37 AM »
Presented at Enfilade this year, by yours truly.  I apologize for the lack of pictures, and their quality - this convention game stuff is hard friggin' work.

5 leagues total:

The dauntless crew of the Gungnir, led by Admiral Heyerdahl (leader, sidekick, 2 gangs, 2 allies)

The vicious crew of the Viking, led by Kaptin Gabler (leader, sidekick, 4 allies)

The Princess' Bodyguard, led by Grog of Loc-Nar (leader, sidekick, ally, 2 gangs)

The Princess' Suitors, a league of legends led by Carter.

The random element, a league of 4 flying Highland Martians.

The goal were slightly different for each league:

Norwegian Privateer Goals:
Primary:  Find the Princess Voojwa D'Ey, and take her prisoner, to help in the conflict with the Martian state of Helium, and their resistance to the rightful expansion of Free Norway.  Damned natives.
Secondary: Sabotage the Hullcutter.
Tertiary: Grab anything else that might be worth something, and don't lose anything in the process.

Norwegian Crew of the Gungnir Goals:
Primary:  Do not lose control of the Gungnir.
Secondary: Grab the Princess Voojwa D'Ey, and take her prisoner, to help in the conflict with the Martian state of Helium, if the opportunity presents itself.

Martian Bodyguard Goals:
Primary:  Find Princess Voojwa D'Ey, and keep her safe from these thieving raiders from Earth.
Secondary: Cripple the Earth vessel if the opportunity presents itself.

Princess's Suitors' Goals:
Primary:  Show that you are the best choices for Princess Voojwa D'Ey by driving off these Earthling upstarts!
Secondary:  Destroy the Earthling airship.
Tertiary:  Gather honor and fame by getting anything of value.

Highland Martians' Goals:
Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary:  Gather up anything of value.  Be mercenary about the whole thing.  If it has value, grab it and fly off.

The plot points were:

The Princess Voojwa D'Ey,
Jewel of the House of Helium
While in possession of this plot point, you get the effects of the 'Extend the Scenario' Reward.

Cask of Aquavit
You get the reward card 'Discard 1 to force everyone else to discard 1' OR you may discard this reward to cause a fire on board the ship you are on.  This will count as 'crippling the ship' for this scenario.

Grappling Hook
Gain the reward for 'Discard 1 card for bonus to Dodge or Cunning', and gain Immunity to Perilous Areas.

Big F'''Off Bomb
This reward may be sacrificed to cripple the ship you are currently on. Everyone on board now has 2 turns to evacuate before they are lost with the ship as it falls from the sky.

The Heart of Helium
Big jewel gives the reward card '+1 fortune card', makes girls weak in the knees, makes men who like money unable to walk with any decency.

Princess Abra of Cadabra
Taken prisoner in recent conflict between Helium and Cadabra, she is worth her weight in gold and silver to any side for her use as a bargaining chip. Reward card '+1d to Might' as the men flex in front of her.

The beginning positions...I placed the leagues, to reduce time and difficulty.  I was already explaining a new ruleset to all but one of the players.

The ships' decks were relatively safe to roam, but crossing from ship to ship as well as anytime you crossed within an inch of a gun emplacement were perilous areas...unless you had wings, which allowed you to ignore the perilous areas between ships.  I also ruled that failing a peril while crossing between ships meant you fell to your death, which came to figure in prominently.  I also told them no-one could activate a plot point on their own ship until turn 3 - I felt it was too easy to get to in the tight quarters.

By the end of the first turn, shots had been exchanged between the bodyguard and the crew of the Gungnir, reducing the gangs significantly, and players were spending more time trying to hurt each other than gain plot points.  The Highland player, however, read his goals, and went straight to the plot points.

Which prompted the rest of them to start throwing everything at the Highland Martians, whose player could roll no bad dice for the rest of the game.  I may as well just told him "you pass everything".

And, of course, he finds not one, but BOTH princesses in one turn.

Here, you can see the position of the skimmer that the suitors used to get to the fight..  If you look closely above, you will see my John Carter model down on the mat forming my "planet".  That would be because he failed on his first peril to jump across, and plummeted to the planet below.

The Highland Martian player lost the fight for Princess Abra of Kadabra to the Norwegian troops on the Gungnir, but he flew away from the Viking with D'Ey.  The Suitor's player, wanting to rescue her, asked if he could run and jump from the Hullcutter to the skiff with two who had enough movement to get there.  I invoked the Rule of Cool to ignore the fact that you should stop running as soon as you hit a perilous area, and allowed it.

He quite promptly failed his peril checks with not one, but BOTH of the suitors, thus plunging 3 of his 4 characters to their deaths...

The last of them tried to shoot the flying Martian, but rolled no successes, and the Martian responded by throwing a rock for 3, winning the fight clearly, seizing the initiative, and flying off the board with his prize.  I just hope she likes big men...

I think I will be forced to run a rescue mission for the Princess next year...
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline PatG

• Assistant
    • Irr Wb (f)
Re: Martian Alley - the Capture of the 'Golden Malagor'
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »
Great looking game and those ships are excellent!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »
You apologize for THAT?

That's AWESOME!!!  :o

Sorry, have to catch my breath.

Doug

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
OK, that's awesome!  I'm so glad to see these pics, what a fun looking game!  First shots of the Omura in action on the internets....

Looks like it was a blast to play in as well.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
Great looking game and a great idea for a scenario. Well done  :-* :-* :-*
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:09:21 AM »
Well, yeah, I am apologizing.  The photos are pretty shoddy...it was pretty darn fun to run though.  The poor guy running the suitors, though...I am so glad he was a good sport about his die rolls.  The first action he took failed and fell to his death...

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 03:05:20 AM »
Fantastic!  :-* :-*

THANKS so much for playing and sharing Pulp Alley. That looked like tons of fun! And lots of hard work.

Well done, sir!  ;)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 03:51:17 AM »
And the Leagues...

The Suitors:

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 03:53:35 AM »
The Bodyguard:

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 03:57:14 AM »
The Crew of the Viking:

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 03:59:21 AM »
The Crew of the Gungnir:

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 04:01:25 AM »
And finally, the winning team, the Highland Martians!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 05:44:26 AM »
What a magnifcent game!  :o Hats off to you sir!

I'd love to have some more info, as I'm working on a similar project (if based on other rules). I see a wonderful eclectic mix of miniatures from all over the place and still perfectly fitting the theme!

I recognize a lot of them, but where did you get the winged Martians from (which I suspect are part conversion)? And how did you do their bases?

The big ships are scratchbuilt?

Wonderful, wonderful!
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »
Wow! That is superb! The ships look spectacular, and it sounds as if they made for a really interesting game (poor guy who couldn't jump ship!) Love the diverse collection of miniatures too. Those Valkyries in particular are fantastic. Thanks for posting.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
All of so inspiring superb, thank you fro the pics and info so much