Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Westeros, Westeros. (even more) Ideas needed...  (Read 11198 times)

Offline jim rae

• Assistant
Re: Westeros, Westeros. (even more) Ideas needed...
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 12:48:16 PM »
Just seen these 2 minutes ago:

Medieval Russian Infantry.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
I may have missed a few, but I've committed them all to paper in 'my little black book'.If there are houses you want refs for Charlie, just fire away!
The same goes for anyone else out there...

Could you write hem out in the LAF compendium thread maybe ::) :D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
LordOdo... can do, though I'm not entirely sure how and in what format you'd like them
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2016, 04:32:52 PM »
LordOdo... can do, though I'm not entirely sure how and in what format you'd like them

Some of these are captured in the compendium thread, in the second post.  I'd gladly collaborate with Neil to flesh that out a bit more with whatever his Mk I eyeballs and hi-tech notebooks have captured.  ;D
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2016, 05:37:12 PM »

But where does all this stuff come from?? Again, this is a whole layer of confected detail that's not in the books, is it?

Your comments about obsessive fans and crazed wiki-writers notwithstanding, my quote about Dorne's climate, geography and people came from a book that a certain George R.R. Martin was happy enough to claim co-authorship of (though how much of it he actually wrote I have no idea). Clearly you have more exacting standards regarding canon than the man himself; which is understandable seeing as he undoubtedly makes shed-loads of money off this stuff. ;)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2016, 11:50:20 PM »
LOL, Jim, this is a dark path to take! I finished assembling my Greyjoy army just before the Perry's drooped the beauty that is the HYW French on us, or I might have gone that route. Then I saw those FireForge Russians and thought they be lovely addition as well. Many of them are dead-ringers for Tomazs' artwork!

Sigh. By the time I am done, my army will have swollen to twice it's intended size. While that is normal for many of us, it means twice as many longships to acquire!

I guess what I am saying is, grab a box of each and get glueing! There will always be some new tasty kit about. At least we have time until the Perry's drop their Hyw cavalry upon us (with a special deal on a special model if you buy 3, which I will somehow talk myself into!  lol)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »
I've been playing with the Perry HYW French and English and Fireforge Foot Sergeants. To my mind the HYW fit the Hollywoodesque armour descriptions Martin uses quite well. They are also quite versatile sets with lots of torsos and spare parts galore.

I'm planning on using my made up box of French Infantry with a unit of 12 English archers as a Royalist (Baratheon/Lannister&Tyrell) contingent led by Ser Randyll Tarly to fight the Northeners led by Robett Glover and Helman Tallhart and Harrion Karstark attacking Duskendale...
Thankfully the sigil sources are somewhat better for the houses involved, plus I already have Tallhart, Glover and Karstark contingents in the pipeline, though from the descriptions of the Karstarks I'm going to have to use Fireforge Foot sergeants for most of them...

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
To answer Charlie's question, that's exactly what I did. Just me, the books, my mark-one eyeballs and a notebook and pen. It's not actually that hard because there are relatively few passages where there are battles and musters and references to sigils and banners. I may have missed a few, but I've committed them all to paper in 'my little black book'.If there are houses you want refs for Charlie, just fire away!
The same goes for anyone else out there...

Hey, just realised I lost track of this thread, but as you've just bumped it back up yourself I can take you up on that offer, a few months later!
Do you have any records of what the books say about the Bracken and Blackwood sigils?
Bracken in particular... It's supposed to be a red stallion. But apparently it's a red stallion on a yellow escutcheon (shield) on a brown background. I'm thinking it would look so much better without the damn brown background....
Oh, and Darry as well. The Darry ploughman. Is it really supposed to be black on yet another brown background????

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
Charlie,
no problems... though the descriptions are sparse and thus open to considerable interpretation
Just make sure you never field the sectarian feuding Brackens and the Blackwoods side by side or you'd have to invoke the old Warhammer 'hatred' rule!

Blackwood: ‘the scarlet banner of the Blackwoods waved above the Lord’s tent‘ (COK, p.509)
[colour of field only, but the name makes the charge implicit plus the backstory of the dead weirwood implies a bare white tree and associated ravens]

Lord Tytos Blackwood: 'close cropped salt and pepper whiskers and a hook nose. His bright yellow armour was inlaid with jet in elaborate vine and leaf patterns and a cloak sewn from raven feathers draped his thin shoulders' (GOT, p.761)

Darry: ‘Darry’s plowman’ (COK, p.509) [charge colour and field colour not cited]

Bracken: ‘the red stallion badge of the Brackens’ (GOT, p.279) [field colour not cited]

SB :)