Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 632
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [BA] Game report: A Nibelung's hoard  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
[BA] Game report: A Nibelung's hoard
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »
Dear fellows,

Some weeks ago we played our first series of "Broadsword Adventures" games. The theme was our interpretation of the Nibelungen saga, a famous legend here in Germany with possible origins way back in the Migration period. It's presented here in a condensed version of a more elaborate report written for a competition at German Sweetwater forum. Sadly we were thrown out in the first round, but maybe you're nonetheless interested. ;)
There are three scenarios, linked together in a campaign. Here's the first one, the others might follow - as you wish.

It's about the year 425 AD at the Rhine frontier. Again and again Germanic warbands are crossing the river into the Roman provinces in search of plunder. The Roman eagle is wounded but nevertheless a dangerous foe - and many warbands find their way home blocked by Roman patrols eager for revenge [historical note: the legend of the "Rheingold", Siegfried's cursed hoard, might have derived from such incidents]. Lately, a party transporting plunder destined for the court of Siegfried, Frankish prince of Xanten, has been annihilated by such a patrol.
The prince has given two young noblemen the chance to distinguish themselves in his service by searching the area and bringing back as much of "his goods" as they can - a difficult task since only one of them can win the prize, and there are still some vigilant Romans around.

This is the area our heroes are to browse (viewed from the north-east). There's also a barge ready to be loaded with any goods they discover. Whoever escapes with the barge just before sunrise (i.e. the end of the game), wins the scenario.

Giffo (helmeted) and his henchman Ranulf arrive on the scene from the north-west. A bit overdressed for stealth tactics...

... Giffo immediately attracts the attention of a Roman patrol nearby. Since attack is the best means of defence, Giffo decides to show off his superior fighting skills and counterattacks.

Meanwhile Ranulf dashes forward, only to find the German black forests slightly enlightened by a glimmer from the east [first trigger for sunrise]. Maybe he's overrun the morning break a bit. However, Ranulf makes up for it by discovering a chest full of gold and hurries to the barge.

Anyway, Gaidemar (red cloak) and his follower Ragnfrid haven't been dormant as they've seen the glowing horizon, too [second trigger]. Well concealed under a rubbish heap Gaidemar espies a piece of jewelry and joins Ranulf in his run for the riverbank.

The rumbling raises suspicion of another patrol. Real gentlemen don't waste their talent, so Gaidemar sends Ragnfrid to deal with those Roman conscripts.

Self-confidently Ragnfrid takes the opportunity to prove his prowess...

...only to be overwhelmed by superior Roman weapons and training (even for conscripts) - Ouch!
Now the guards are hard on Gaidemar's heels.

Whereas Giffo betters his foes hands down. As one of them chooses to fall back, Giffo recognizes Gaidemar, obviously laden with plunder and heading for the Rhine. Giffo decides that it's time to find his own special souvenir for Siegfried. But he's out of luck...

Finally the sun rises [third trigger] and our heroes have to get away immediately - you really don't want to mess with Roman patrol boats, full of hardened marines and those nasty scorpio-things. Therefore it's understandable (if inexcusable) that Ragnfrid, as he throws himself into the barge, isn't willing to wait for any laggards and "sets sail" for the other shore.

Gaidemar, Giffo and unconscious Ragnfrid are left behind. Now they have to find another lift, but with the Romans alerted that's perhaps one of their minor problems. At least Giffo can derive comfort from the fact that the first "present" for Siegfried will be delivered by his man...

Scenario's outcome:
Giffo's side wins and he joins Siegfried's services!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [BA] Game report: A Nibelung's hoard
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »
A fantastic idea very well executed. The folks at the Sweetwater forum either have incredibly high standards or poor judgement!  :D

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:07:49 PM »
I realy like that !! The Nibelungen Saga is one of the best storys ever  :-*Love it .

Why do you diden´t live near Hamburg  :? can´t wait for the next part .

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:23:53 AM »
Awesome stuff. I love the sunrise triggers. Very good use of Encounters to help move the characters along and not have them dally about fighting with each other.

And anyone that would throw that out in the first round is a Philistine!  lol lol
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »
Hi,

its a great report and it was my favourite one from the sweetwater competition. Ask Don Franco about it. We talked about your great report all the time on the way to Sicily. Yes Antipater we did and you were our favourite !!!! And what are you doing ? You are voting against me in every single round. Even now in the final you criticize my report ! Is this what I deserve... ? Didnt I treat you like family all my life ?

I feel very weak now and I must rest. We talk later.

:D

, ,

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
Thanks for the kind words! :)

... The folks at the Sweetwater forum either have incredibly high standards or poor judgement!  :D

I fear it's rather the former. All contestants performed extremly well, some of them did incredible layout jobs and the like. Admittedly, we perhaps overdid it relating to the amount of text; e.g. we wrote an alternative version of the Nibelungenlied (in an ancient German tone, of course) and added these "fragments" as introductions to our actual games. Too much text and - compared to other entries - poor quality photos were the deathblow for us. That's also why I put it here as a "condensed version". ;)

Grimm, as a German native speaker you should be able to already get the other reports here. Anyway, maybe I can manage to bring this stuff to northern Germany next time, so we can stage a replay.  :-*

Driscoles, honestly it wasn't my fault! If you had done any theme other than this pesky Second World War stuff, I had certainly voted for you all the time. But as it is, I couldn't bring myself to it. Please, not the cement mixer!  lol
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:40:29 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Grimm

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
Anyway, maybe I can manage to bring this stuff to northern Germany next time, so we can stage a replay

I read the report in german and it is very good !! also I hope that you realy bring the game along next time .
Maby to the ``Action`` so we can play it in the evening ?

Grimm

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »
Smashing. Very picturesque-looking game. It would be a lovely country stroll through the woods if there wasn't all that nasty violence going on.

Unfortunately, since seeing that Xanten movie, whenever I hear the word Nibelungen all I think about is her...

I'm sure there was a Siegfried and a dragon and all that in there somewhere, but for some reason they didn't stick in my mind so much. I think I am a bad person...
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »

Unfortunately, since seeing that Xanten movie, whenever I hear the word Nibelungen all I think about is her...

I'm sure there was a Siegfried and a dragon and all that in there somewhere, but for some reason they didn't stick in my mind so much. I think I am a bad person...

Oh my God. She is gorgeous.

Plynkes, tell me what is this film and where can you get it???  :-* :-* :-* lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »
Careful, she's a terminator robot from the future. She'll rip your arms off.

It's a TV Movie it seems they really couldn't decide what to call. I've seen it called variously Die Nibelungen, Ring of the Nibelungs, Kingdom in Twilight , and Curse of the Ring . The UK version is called Sword of Xanten for some reason...

It's been on Channel 4, shown in two parts. You can get it on Amazon.co.uk for about a fiver I think. It's not brilliant, but it is pretty entertaining.

(Sorry for distracting the thread!)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 02:39:44 PM »
Let me give an example for British readers: This film coincides the Nibelungenlied as much as "King Arthur" keeps with the Arthurian legends. At the least it doesn't pretend to tell 'real' history... Anyway, I've watched both, but merely due to the beautiful women in there.  :-*

Grimm, I'll see if I can get to Action this time. Perhaps we can arrange something at the Tactica. ;)

Offline Grimm

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »
Oh No !!! that movie is ........ !!!!! Plynkes !!! WHY!!!

I like that old one here and it has the best Hagen but I know that movie is more ``fantasy``
but it is much much better .

Grimm

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 03:02:37 PM »
Thanks all.

Mmmm. TV / film - don't care. I must possess her...  ;D  Off to Amazon now...

By the way, Mad Doc, a nice looking skirmish.

If my German was better, I'd take a dip into Sweetwater to see what you and Driscoles are arguing about - it looks very entertaining.  ;)

Aber mein Deutsch ist von schule und das war fast dreizing jahren (how was that?  ;))

I don't know how you Germans manage so well with English. Teutonic efficiency I suppose. Thanks for making the effort  :)

By the way, you're so right. King Arthur was what we British politely refer to as 'utter wank'

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »
Thanks all.

Mmmm. TV / film - don't care. I must possess her...  ;D  Off to Amazon now...

By the way, Mad Doc, a nice looking skirmish.

If my German was better, I'd take a dip into Sweetwater to see what you and Driscoles are arguing about - it looks very entertaining.  ;)

Aber mein Deutsch ist von schule und das war fast dreizing jahren (how was that?  ;))

I don't know how you Germans manage so well with English. Teutonic efficiency I suppose. Thanks for making the effort  :)

I guess it´s down to being able to use it on a daily basis (for example, communicating over the web). So, practice makes perfect and perseverance spells success.

By the way, you're so right. King Arthur was what we British politely refer to as 'utter wank'

Was rather underwhelmed by KA, but I thought this Siegfried flick was an overall decent movie, with a nice dragon and an interesting choice of Ms. Loken for Brunhild. Most of these "TV spectacle productions" made for German television have a somehow shabby air, but in this case, it´s just some dumb dialogues, but otherwise nice. Although I was strangely baffled in how they used South Africa to depict the amazing hillscapes along the course of the lower Rhine...  lol ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »
Kristianna Loken (Brunhilde) is one well turned out woman. She was quite stunning in Terminator III to.