Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I Fought, We Won: The Glorantha Project Thread  (Read 10283 times)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Re: I Fought, We Won: The Glorantha Project Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
Shaun raises a good point; the same minis can be used for both systems +/- sabot bases.   

We ran a Praxian game at Broadside today, it was a blast.  I'll post some shots later today or tomorrow.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 07:26:36 PM »
hi chaps

great thread, it would be good to see how and what proxies are being used for all the various cultures. I've just posted some pics of my recent paintings,
(once I figure out how to insert a link to another thread... )

cheers

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »
Well, as I said, this thread has got me going in regard Tarsh gaming forces- and today I built the first 2 (of many hopefully) of the 'Bagnot Shieldwall' Regiment. One figure (with spear) from the Line troops, and one (with Axe) from the reserve/Flanking/Assault group.

I'm using Gripping Beast Plastics - Dark Age infantry, the unarmoured ones as the Shieldwall Regiments wear Hardened or Cuirboili, with Saxon Thegn heads in Helmets. These have been scrapped to only have the front to back reinforcing bar, and I have chosen the plainer ones. Also added Cloaks (from my bits box - Fireforge Games) and have actually had, for the first time, to attempt sculpting the tops of the cloaks as otherwise they don't fit. 

Anyone know which god/cult - apart from the Seven Mothers - is likely to be followed by a Tarsh force. Yanafal Tarnils seems a bit to 'individual' in regard to fighting style, though it is the Soldiers God. After ideas for Runes on regard shields and so on.

So, a new skill started, and when I too figure out how to post pictures, I will show my work in progress

(going to be a long time before any 'actual' Lunar troops turn up, as I don't have any Greeks/Early Italian in my plastics box).

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »

Above Mate Ian's bison clan, and below, my Lunars.

Above are mate Ian's sables.  During the game the shaman (centre right) tried to summon the tribe's ancestors, got the spell wrong and summoned someone else's ancestors instead.  They promptly ate him. 

...  and finally Batty who wasn't in the game but deserved to be out of his box after 10 years.

The game was fun with three teenagers, another mate and a couple of dads playing with tons of enthusiasm!  I can't wait to get some more stuff based up.

Best, Simon

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »
great looking game - too bad the Bat was jus a passing omen....

Keeper
Tarshite forces are still Orlanthi with just a veneer of Lunar worship, the lesser troops in particular would have Orlanthi Runes - Movement, Wind & Mastery. Hon-eel the Artess is worshipped by the noble families, Moon & Fertility Runes.

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 11:09:49 PM »
Thank you, Psullie

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »
I am a huge Gloranthaphile as well and will be excited to see what people come up with. I will try to do some Orlanthi of my own; I'm kind of surprised I haven't already!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
Forgive the repost (from my SBH thread), but here's a crested dragonewt and a broo. Glorantha was the gateway to gaming for me, through the medium of RQ 2nd edition (for my eighth or ninth birthday, I think). It's long gone now, but my copy of the rulebook was played to tatters.

There was, of course, frustratingly (or tantalisingly) little Gloranthan material in the second-edition book, giving a sensation of something fleetingly glimpsed. That got a bit clearer with things like Gods of Glotrantha, Trollpak and the Gloranthan Bestiary, although I only acquired those many years after the rulebook.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »
Those are very nice! 

Seeing the dragonewt has made me wonder- has anyone seen a model that would work for a newtling, in bigger 28mm?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
Cheers!

For newtlings, you can still get the RAFM Gilla Worms. The photos for the infantry don't seem to be working, but they're small, sinuous, newtlike amphibians. I have one that's "almost finished" kicking around at home - I'll try to remember to post a picture later.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »
Thanks- I would be very interested to see a picture.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 03:00:53 PM »
Those do look good.  I don't think ones with the big shields are quite right, but the ones with the small shields are just great.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
There are some others too: I have one that's almost horizontal to the ground with a spear and no shield. And there's a reptiliad adventurer with a gilla worm carrying his stuff - great little model for a heavily laden newtling adventurer.

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 07:29:28 PM »
I'm a long-time Glorantha fan. I bought some Gripping Beast vikings a while back and was thinking of painting them up as a Heortling war band but I have shamefully done nothing at all with them.

I backed the kickstarter project for the reprinted RQ2 book, as my old one is a bit fragile now, and I should get that soon. I should use that as a prod to make me get going, shouldn't I?