Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:00:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Retro-Napoleonic Project - New Battalion & Guard Jager company  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Well, today I received a delivery from the Land of Perry and behold!!!

I'm the proud owner of a bunch of Prussians.

Some friends and I have started down the the murky road of retro-Napoleonics. And that means 1970's, Bruce Quarrie, 1:33, Average Dice, Fire Dice, Casualty Charts and bookkeeping. The whole shebang!

What we really want to do is take the rules, play them until we have a good working knowledge and then modify and streamline them into a set of rules that are easier to use whilst retaining the same flavour of 70's Napoleonic's. What this means for me at the moment is painting up a bunch of Prussians (because we all have either French or French-allied armies).

Anyhow, here's the start. I can paint pretty fast and keep a good standard and I hope to be able to paint at least a 20 figure battalion per week.
I'll keep you updated.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:05:24 AM by Melnibonean »
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Prussian Project
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 06:56:29 PM »
looking forward to more on this.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Prussian Project
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:56 AM »
I've done the first Prussian battalion of many more battalions to come. This is the 2nd battalion of the 8th Leib Regt.

I decided on a back to basics painting style. No shading and the only wash use was on the skin. There's a lot of benefits to this style. It's easy (but you have to be accurate with the brush), it's pretty fast and above all it gives the figures a nice clean look.

More pics on my blog: http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/prussian-project-first-battalion-painted.html

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Prussian Project - First unit painted.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 03:58:40 PM »
Interesting that I have been thinking about doing Prussians,
some what along the same lines as you.
Good start on you first unit.
A good standard paint job, good to get units on the table.
With the pound being so low, time to put in a big Perry order.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 05:39:20 AM »
I did a bit of a write-up on my blog about my experiences, thus far, regarding my Retro-Napoleonic adventure.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/a-slow-death-by-fractions-ncim.html

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:26:36 AM »
Well here I am again. In the meantime, I've managed to paint up some more figures that you can see below.

I've finished the second musketeer battalion of the 8th Lieb Regiment and I've moved on to the fusilier battalion. But, in the meantime I decided to do some jagers. Unfortunately the Perry Plastic Prussians (P3) only has one jager pose so they all look the same. But I'll need a second company so I've decided to make them all conversions. At least that way I can mix the two companies together for some variation.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Prussian Project - More units added.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 07:06:36 AM »
So, I finally finished my first Prussian line regiment: 8th Lieb Regiment.
I'm doing some conversions to the jager figure in the Perry Plastics box so that I can field two companies and I've also started on a squadron of uhlans (regiment unknown at this stage).

Here's a pic of the fusilier regiment 8th Lieb Regt. There are more pics of the finished regiment at my blog: http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/8th-lieb-regiment-done.html

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Prussian Project - My first finished regiment.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 03:20:55 AM »
My Prussians made it to the table for the first time last night in a scenario against an advancing Polish column. They were never going to win but the scenario was a Prussian forward post with the am of delaying the enemy and retiring back to the main force (off the table). I only have the troops shown on this thread.

In our pursuit of an older style of play, we used Bruce Quarrie's Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature and the result was very satisfying.

I did a write up on my blog and, for once, I remembered to take plenty of photos.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/my-prussians-make-their-debut.html

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Prussian Project - My Prussian's first game
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 01:54:36 AM »
I've had a busy week but I managed to do some stuff to propel this project along.

After the last game we had it became apparent the a Quick Reference Sheet was required. So I got to work on it. I like the QRS that comes with General de Brigade so I thought I'd use that as a model. This took a while to do as I first had to create all of the tables and charts from scratch. There was also the issue that Bruce Quarrie had a tendency to mention various factors etc, in the text and not included them in any charts. After another small test game yesterday more of these hidden gems were revealed and will have to be added.

I did an initial set of 4 A4 pages and posted them to the Bruce Quarrie Napoleonic's, Facebook page for discussion. I then made a revised second set and posted them on my blog. If you'd like to have a look they are at:

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/quick-reference-sheets-for-ncim.html

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Prussian Project - Some work on charts & tables
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »
If you are enjoying it then who am I to say otherwise lol

I know what you mean about the bigger units though. Over the last couple of years I've retrospectively increased the size of my SYW infantry units from 16 to 24 man units purely for the aesthetic (figs per stand not making a shed of difference in the rules I use).

BTW. After a game using BQ's old rules, what do you prefer, Asprin or Paracetamol? o_o

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 04:08:25 AM »

BTW. After a game using BQ's old rules, what do you prefer, Asprin or Paracetamol? o_o

I know what you mean. All the fractions were doing my head in. ;D

The first couple of games were painful but we thought, we need to play the "rules as written" to gain an idea of where to start fixing them. However, the last couple of games have started to flow better and when we come to an issue it's much easier to solve it when we can look at the situations on the table. We're getting there and it's enjoyable.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 01:59:50 AM »
I now have a Prussian foot battery and some more uhlans. My single squadron didn't do well in our test games so now they may have a bit more durability (although they are still only at half strength).

I did a little write up and added some pics on my blog.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/some-prussian-guns.html

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »
We had another game last night - Polish v's Prussians. We're still trying to hammer out a workable set of rules from Napoleons Campaigns in Miniature and so far things are going well. The basics have become easy to work with and the turns are turning over quickly but every game we come to a point where we find something that doesn't work well and needs consideration. In this case it was Cavalry v's Infantry. This game is the first time it's come up.

A write up and a lot of pics on my blog at: http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Project - Another game - Another write up
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 01:50:50 AM »
I need a few hundred Landwehr and I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for them. So I decided to sculpt my own range. I'm looking at doing about 15 variations: 6 x march attack, 6 x advance, 3 command (maybe more).

This is my first test sculpt and I'm quite happy with him. His name is Ludwig.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/prussian-landwehr-test-sculpt.html

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Retro-Napoleonic Project - added Landwehr Test Sculpt
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 05:53:19 AM »
Great work and very nice looking Landwehr sculping, really look the part. Good luck on your project, taking shape very nicely.