Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689641
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thaw of the Lich Lord Campaign Day  (Read 2597 times)

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
Thaw of the Lich Lord Campaign Day
« on: June 26, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »
Some photos from our first Frostgrave campaign day at our club. Basically a wrap-up for our first full Frostgrave campaign, we had some tables set up for specific scenarios for a couple of initial games followed by a big multi-player Final Battle.

First, some set-up shots.

Cultists prepare to defend the dark cauldron.

The storm of undeath, skeletons await their reawakening.

The treasure room in the House of Longreach.

Ghoul King on his throne.

My warband at the start of the day.

I have more photos, will post later.

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
Re: Thaw of the Lich Lord Campaign Day
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 11:41:59 PM »
Looks great - I'd love to know more on how you set the day up. How many players, what were the rules of doing the campaign in a day etc. Interested as I'm wondering about organising something similar!
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:27:43 AM »
I love the fact that HeroQuest furniture is so ubiquitous.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »
Looks great!

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:51 PM »
I love the fact that HeroQuest furniture is so ubiquitous.
I needed doorways and a throne (for the ghoul king). Once I made the connection, the rest was obvious. :D

In a 3-player game of Loot the Cart, two of the warbands descend on the doomed cultists defending the treasure.

After disposing of the cultists, my barbarian prepares to carve his way through Carl's magic users.

I didn't get any photos of my second game, The House of Longreach, because frankly I was having too much fun. Great scenario.

Then we set up for the Final Battle. Eight warbands against the Lich Lord, his minions and each other.

The Lich Lord's minions prepare to defend their master...

...as the Lich Lord himself overlooks the battlefield from his balcony.

My warband carves its way through the skeletal defenders.

Meanwhile a dwarven barbarian uses a teleport scroll to take the fight direct to the Lich Lord. This does not end well for the barbarian as he is cut down by one of the Wraith Knight bodyguards.

The other warbands continue their advance (that's a bear in the lead, not a giant beaver. Honest).

The Lich Lord is finally brought down by a bevy of Elemental Bolts from the many wizards facing him.

In the end, Dale's warband was declared the winner as he had the highest level wizard (level 34, when some hadn't made double figures) and had finished off the Lich Lord. Although in the post-battle phase my own wizard managed to achieve Transcendence so...

All in all, a good day and some great games. Big multi-player games always drag a bit with so many players, but this was better than most.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:49:24 PM by ChaosChild »

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
Looks great - I'd love to know more on how you set the day up. How many players, what were the rules of doing the campaign in a day etc. Interested as I'm wondering about organising something similar!
We didn't do the whole campaign in one day, we'd been playing on a monthly basis for several months already (this is how we run campaigns at our club). So this was more of a finale with our established warbands than a one-day campaign.

We had seven players for the initial games and eight for the final battle. We had another couple of players who couldn't make it on the day. This meant that we needed to run a three-player game in each of the early rounds, but some of the scenarios adapt very easily to that so not an issue.

We started with five tables set up; for Loot the Cart, the Storm of Undeath, the House of Longreach, Lair of the Ghoul King and the Dark Cauldron. We picked these scenarios for a few reasons, primarily because nobody had played them during the campaign and because we had the miniatures and scenery to run them.

Once we played out two initial rounds we set up for the Final battle. We made some changes, bringing on three warbands each turn instead of two (to speed things up) and changing the placement and increasing the numbers of minions. In the end though, the scenario wasn't a huge challenge. The warbands all stayed more or less on point with no backstabbing (though there was some friendly fire) and the Lich Lord simply couldn't cope with 16 spellcasters.

Hope that helps.