Forum > VSF Adventures

6mm dieselpunk, Diorama p.22

(1/67) > >>

YPU:
This project has been in my head for a long time, and now with Horizon wars giving me a ruleset that plays in a way that works with what I have in mind I'm finally going to start this. I've been thinking about getting some aeronefs, steampunk tanks or walkers for a long time. However I never really wanted to jump into either category fully. I have been doing 6mm sci-fi for longer and find that terrain wise I actually prefer idyllic landscapes of patchwork fields and hills dotted by villages and windmills more then general sci-fi stuff. (most art in dirtside II is this style for some reason)

I have been trying to recognisable all of this in a doable project for a while and more and more I realized that the look I wanted to aim or is best embodied by studio ghibli movies. Curvie bloated tanks bristling with barrels, huge airships and brightly coloured soldiers marching in formations. For inspiration one can't go wrong with castle in the sky, nausicaa and particularly howls moving castle.

Most vehicles I will 3d print or build from scratch, I shouldn't need more then 3 of most anyway at most. However I also want lines of infantry to face whatever opponent I end up using. Now for inspiration these guys I really liked in How's so that is pretty much the feeling I'm aiming for. However in 6mm that "feeling" probably comes down to anything from the "age of big battalions" forum board.

So my question to you forumites, what company makes the best 6mm Napoleonic/acw/whatver miniatures to use for this? There are a lot of companies out there and I won't need that many models in total. maybe 100-200 infantry and cavalry together max, I think that's rather tame for 6mm big battalions, but then they generally don't have heavy tanks along with them, let alone airships. Talking about airships I think I might also want to put some crew on the airships, does anybody even do those in 6mm for this "period"

Bonus question, I'm considering doing a big swarm type force for opposition, again inspired by ghibli style, but I'm not convinced on that yet... Any other suggestions?

EDIT:
Still frame reference images:
Soldiers: http://imgur.com/a/s7m0h/all
Airships: http://imgur.com/a/u29rD/all
Armoured train:
--- End quote ---

Ships: http://imgur.com/a/blf4Q/all

OSHIROmodels:
Ooo, interesting  8)

I'm not sure on the best 6mm manufacturers but maybe Franco-Prussian war would be best suited?

Rather looking forward to seeing how this goes  :)

I always fancied doing a 28mm version (Nausicaa mainly with some Laputa thrown in).

cheers

James

YPU:
Thanks James, I had plans of doing something like thin in 28mm myself for a while, even got some Napoleonic models to use with it but I'd never actually get round to the tanks and airships that way. I also currently lack a good gaming table of any size, the one I have is 1mx1m but I want to do some terrain that embodies those sweeping rural landscapes most ghibli movies have.

The bugs in Nausicaa are probably going to be my main inspiration for an opposing force, with a bit of demons from Mononoke thrown in, maybe "mini-bugs" from gzg as the main force, some ravenstar 15mm horrids for bigger beasts and some not- epic tyranids for ranged attackers maybe. Oh and the horrid space ships might also make cool creature fliers I think.

d phipps:
Sounds like a cool project. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.  ;)

OSHIROmodels:
The bugs sound good. I think Irregular Miniatures do something similar in 28mm that you could use for the larger Ohmu.

I also like the WWI inspired fort in Laputa that has the camouflage/dazzle painted on it but is bigger than anything for miles and miles  lol

cheers

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version