Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:47:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Genghis' Inq28 [Cawdor trio added 13 Feb 24]  (Read 83473 times)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Grox and Vent Dragons added 29 Nov 20]
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2020, 11:08:36 AM »
Wow, It's been a good old while since I last finished any sci-fi figures, real life most definitely got in the way.  However, I'm back in the game now, so here are some critters I've just finished.  They're from Krakon Games, each species a single sculpt that I managed to bend a bit with hot water to add some variety.  The Vent Dragons came with little wings, but I decided the return for the faff of attaching and painting them wasn't worth it, and they looked great without them - in fact, they way I envisage these little beasties as predators that inhabit dark vents and crawl spaces, the wings would actually be a hindrance.  I've also decided that my Vent Dragons are fully grown and 'see' by some sort of innate psychic awareness.

A Grox trader hawking his wares.

Some Vent Dragons running amok; cleaning servitor 0427RS86XX has no idea of it's impending demise

While I was taking the photos with my new backdrop (not quite finished - I need to add some posters) I had a play with some of my lockdown figures, here are the Vigilance Committee defending their corner of the hab block from a chaos cult.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2020, 12:48:41 PM »
Lovely, gribbly additions and a fantastic backdrop.  :o

Splendid stuff!  :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
Lovely, gribbly additions and a fantastic backdrop.  :o

Splendid stuff!  :-*

I have to agree, it all looks great!
 :-*

Good idea with the wing removal, I think I shall steal that as I have not touched my Vent Dragons yet.
 :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2020, 04:37:34 PM »
Very cool  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2020, 07:43:19 PM »
Thank-you

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2020, 04:47:58 PM »
Lovely stuff. Very inspiring  :-*
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »
The vent dragons look good, I like the wingless look. Mine are in the queue still- probably will show up next year.

I really like the backdrop too, nice and big so you can zoom out.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »
I really like the backdrop too, nice and big so you can zoom out.

Thanks.  It's based on a 12" square terrain tile, I wanted it large enough to allow photos from multiple angles for a bit of variety in the backdrop.  Once I've added the posters I'll do a post showing the whole thing, and maybe a couple of WiP shots.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Santa and Elves added 19 Dec 20]
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
That's probably the last figures I'll get finished this year, finishing with something seasonally appropriate in the form of Anvil's Bad Santa and elves.  Next up, a bunch more Blackstone Fortress stuff.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2020, 01:55:26 PM »
Wow, now that’s true heresy  :-* Time to send the inquisition after Santa...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2020, 02:27:11 PM »
 lol

Quality!
 8) 8)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2020, 10:04:05 AM »
Thank-you.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Ogryn added 21 Jan 21]
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2021, 06:42:19 PM »
My first figure of the year: Iapetus the ogryn.  He is one of Mortian’s Heavy Ogres, with a bit of re-profiling to his helmet, shoulder pads and thigh guards to better match the lines of the Cadians I used for the rest of the PDF goons.  I also added a couple of winged skulls (carefully sliced away from spare Cadian weapons) to his shield and body armour to match the goons.

In figuring out how Iapetus came to be serving in the PDF, I accidentally ended up naming and developing a backstory for the PDF officer, thereby slightly undoing my intent that they all be nameless, faceless goons.

Horatio Wodehouse-Walpole the third is the 6th son of a middling-senior noble house.  Nobel families don’t let their children join the meat grinder that is the Imperial Guard, but a low-risk, largely ceremonial, role in the PDF has a certain cachet.  Consequently, highborn sons and daughters too junior to take over the family business or go into politics (and temperamentally unsuited to the Ecclesiarchy) often have commissions purchased for them in the PDF.  The general understanding is that such officers are largely kept away from any real work and occupy the profusion of ceremonial roles established for them.  Capt Walpole, however, has shown a surprising aptitude for the more regular PDF officer roles and it is a source of minor societal scandal that he gets his hands dirty doing actual soldiering.  Nonetheless, he’s really thrown himself into it and enjoys the opportunities for oppressing the populace protecting the populace from malcontents and ne'er do wells.

Whilst he enjoys getting out on the streets with his soldiers, Horatio doesn’t shy away from flaunting his wealth.  As such, he pays for his own bodyguard*; drawn from the Wodehouse-Walpole’s stable of ogryn staff** Iapetus is not technically on the PDF’s books, but the Wodehouse-Walpoles are powerful enough that no one’s going to say anything.  Initial attempts to arm Iapetus with a 0.5 bore sawn-off shotgun resulted in him invariably forgetting to fire and just using it as a club (often going off in the process with sometimes “hilarious” results).  Giving up on firearms, Horatio tried giving Iapetus a variety of heavy sabres and maces, but he would keep ‘losing’ them on patrol and reverting to an old spade he used to use as a garden labourer on the family estates.  Despite the old spade lacking suitable military bearing, sometimes it’s just not worth trying to take away an Ogryn’s favourite toy.  Besides, with Ogryn strength behind the swing, the spade is about as an effective a melee weapon as one could wish for.

(Iapetus wears appropriate PPE so he remains Covid secure, even at punching distance from someone outside his household bubble.)

* Well, his family pay.
** Indentured servants.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 01:16:19 PM by Genghis »

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Ogryn added 21 Jan 21]
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »
He's a hefty boy! Looks good.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Jokaero, Cultist Psyker and Civilian added 24 Jan 21]
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2021, 10:07:19 PM »
He's a hefty boy! Looks good.

Thanks.  I'm not entirely keen on the gigantic size ogryns seem to have evolved towards over the last couple of decades, but as I wanted one with a shield and melee weapon and that would fit in reasonably well with my PDF goons, my choices were somewhat limited.  I do like the model though, despite it's size.

I've clearly been having a productive week, and have finished another three figures.  A Jokearo weaponsmith, primarily for Blackstone Fortress as a retinue character, but can also pop up in my wider Inq28 setting.  A Chaos Cultist psyker, for double duty in Blackstone Fortress (for those times we draw more than two psykers) and to support my cultists in either Necromunda or Inq28; the figure is a mix of Anvil bits and the head and hands/weapon spare from the Blackstone psykers.  And finally, Carl the longshoreman, who I built and painted for the 28 Mag "Downtrodden" challenge (https://28-mag.com/2021/01/12/the-28magchallenge-for-2021/); he's a GW Frateris Militiaman, with a Mad Robot head and Victoria Miniatures arms. 

Carl works as longshoreman in the starport warehouses owned by the Wodehouse-Walpole family.  It’s long hours of heavy labour, moving crates around the warehouse complex, but it pays him enough to get by and support his family in their cramped hab-block.  However, the stipend he receives from Mikail Askimov’s mobsters for leaving discrete chalk marks on certain crates provides for the little luxuries.  This doesn’t trouble his conscience, it’s not like he’s the one stealing the goods.  And besides, Askimov looks out for the little guy, unlike the gilded Wodehouse-Walpoles, who get fat exploiting their workers’ labours. 

Carl didn’t always work in the warehouses; in his youth he joined up with an Ecclesiarchy militia, filled with religious fervour by a street preacher.  The militia was deployed to an agrarian moon at the edge of the system that was plagued by pirate raids.  Taught to place their faith in the Emperor for protection, for Carl, it almost worked.  In one engagement, he took an axe blow to the shoulder that nearly severed his arm.  It took weeks of reconstructive surgery and years of rehab, but he eventually regained the full(ish) use of his arm, albeit with a shoulder that will never be quite right.  In many ways, he was the lucky one; shortly after he’d been medevaced, his unit was hit by a large force of pirates, leaving no survivors. 

This experience shook his faith in the Emperor’s light and removed any desire to serve the greater good.  Carl settled down to a quiet life of low-paid, but relatively safe labour, working several jobs before becoming a longshoreman.  The job itself is no better or worse than any other he's had, but he is at peace with being the tiniest of cogs in a vast machine.  The money from the mob allows him to treat his family to nice things occasionally, and he knows this is as good as life will get for him; he is content with that.

Pict Capture: Wodehouse-Walpole warehouse #047, routine workforce monitoring, nothing significant to report.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:08:54 PM by Genghis »