Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:03:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Darkest Africa;Abushiri Revolt, 1889 - Arab Dawn Attack (Rifles & Spears) - I+II  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Gents,

Darkest Africa - Abushiri Revolt, 1889…those Arabs and Germans are at it again! Having recently finished off some new German marines I was keen to give them a blooding.

This time we venture back to April, 1889 and the Abushiri Revolt. The game was played using Rifles & Spears, my own adaptation of Muskets & Tomahawks. It proved to be a most interesting encounter…one unlike any other we’ve every played I think!

Lots to see and discuss, hope you can pop in and check it out…the post is composed of two parts, part one today...the second to follow smartly in its tracks...

Regards

Happy Wanderer.

http://wp.me/p1YrZG-M6

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:33:39 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Great stuff, wonderful atmospheric photos, excellent report and my favourite rules system. What's not to like? ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Great photos - really like the low, model's eye view!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Excellent photos.
Great part one of the battle.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Great Job.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Thanks chaps,

Part two up soon!

;)

Happy W

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Gents,

Part II of the Arab Dawn Assault is up on the blog

...FYI...

http://wp.me/p1YrZG-Nq

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:38:00 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Excellent part II.
Loved it.
Could you tell a little about the rain?
How it started and how does it stop.
I really like the idea of weather in games.
Thanks for a great battle report.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Splendid stuff, and a close-run thing! The game mechanisms controlling night, the rain and visibility and so on make it really interesting.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Thanks Gents,

Environmental effects.

The night condition were generated by the pre game set up. This was done simply by both player rolling a D6 during the scenario generating stage of play prep...setting the scene. If both plays roll the same number (a 1 in 6 chance) then that 'double score' determines the environmental condition in play. On a 1 or 2 it causes Heavy Rain, 3 or 4 a Strong Wind and 5 or 6 Night Conditions. In our game it was a double 6 and thus night was the result.

Those conditions by rights should prevail for the entire game but we house ruled that the night turn would end by a D6 score of 4+ per turn after turn 1 with a +1drm each turn...hence the Dawn Attack. We could've just enforced Night Conditions for the entire game. We decided to allow the attacker the choice as that made sense as he could plan a dawn assault or attack in the dead of night as he chose...seemed reasonable.

In game, however, the rain effect was triggered by the play of an Event card. The event was as follows;

EVENT
Heavy rain. ”As the sky darkened the rain fell heavily. Luckily it is only a passing downpour. The 'Rain' rules Page 23 apply (also affects spotting). The rain will stop the next time Event 1 is drawn. Note: This replaces any climatic conditions in place.”

So we just followed the standard rules on this one which created the game outcome and narrative as you can see.

The two conditions produced a believable early morning attack at day break with morning storms rolling in to deliver the temporary downpour....

...all worked quite well

;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:20:45 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Wonderful pics and report . I enjoy your blog and wonder will be buying ( and using )  the new 2nd edition Chris Peers  " Darkest Africa "  rules  ?