Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690786
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic Roman miniatures that are compatible with Frostgrave plastics?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
I decided to place this question here, since more people will likely be familiar with the Frostgrave plastics.

I was thinking about creating a Romanesque warband inspired by the Imperials from the Elder Scrolls video games (Morrowing, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc.).  I'm wondering if Roman heads, arms, weapons, etc., could work with the frostgrave torsos in order to make cold weather "Romans."  I've seen some plastic sets online, but it's hard to judge scale, even for supposedly 28mm models.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
The Agema Romans might work with the FG plastics. Unfortunately, I don't have these models so I can't say for sure.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
The frostgrave torsos and heads are not out of the box compatible with gripping beast plastic heads or warlord games hail caesar (romans/celts) plastic heads.  the Frostgrave heads include a neck while the previously mentioned sets include the neck on the torso.  This is easily remedied with green stuff/modeling clay.  Victrix just announced their imperial roman sets, which look beautiful, but Im not sure how victrix heads attach to their torsos.  An additional note, the gripping beast late roman set has an uncrested helmeted head that, to me, screams morrowind oblivion and skyrim.  Warlord games romans are tiny in comparison with other plastics, so be weary of them.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
The frostgrave torsos and heads are not out of the box compatible with gripping beast plastic heads or warlord games hail caesar (romans/celts) plastic heads.  the Frostgrave heads include a neck while the previously mentioned sets include the neck on the torso.  This is easily remedied with green stuff/modeling clay.  Victrix just announced their imperial roman sets, which look beautiful, but Im not sure how victrix heads attach to their torsos.  An additional note, the gripping beast late roman set has an uncrested helmeted head that, to me, screams morrowind oblivion and skyrim.  Warlord games romans are tiny in comparison with other plastics, so be weary of them.

I think I remember looking at the Warlord games sprue online, and noting that they seemed like they might be on the small side.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Ideally, I would like the uncrested helmets with the rear neck guard (gallic helm, maybe?), and would like to base them on the brown, Imperial leather armor from Skyrim.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Check out Duff's Glorantha thread where he's kitbashed from near enough every plastic historical set available into his fantasy collection, including an Agema Roman head on a Frostgrave soldier body

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68919.90

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
It's only the Imperial legionaries of Warlord that have the size issues though, the auxilia troops or Caesarian soldiers are in line with Gripping Beast or indeed Victrix. If it's the typical Early Imperial legionary aesthetics you're after though, the upcoming Victrix set is likely your best bet.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
It's only the Imperial legionaries of Warlord that have the size issues though, the auxilia troops or Caesarian soldiers are in line with Gripping Beast or indeed Victrix. If it's the typical Early Imperial legionary aesthetics you're after though, the upcoming Victrix set is likely your best bet.

It's strange that the better plastic kits all seem to have plumed helms, which isn't iconic.  The Warlord ones would work, but as you say, the size is off.  I looked at the upcoming Victrix models, and those seem like they would fit the bill.  Any word on when they will be released?

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Warlord's kit was one of the first plastic sets on the market, and e.g. Gripping Beast likely has little reason to compete with them, seeing how they collaborate to some extent (judging by the number of GB figures in WG books). Another influence may be that while the Early Imperial aesthetic is iconic, it came into use in a period of relative peace (Augustus' Pax Romana), while his predecessor Caesar may be more popular for historical recreations of battles and campaigns.

Last I heard, Victrix' Imperial Romans are scheduled for the end of the year; November and December for 'attacking' and 'marching' sets respectively. Can't recall from the past, but I believe they stick relatively close to their schedules.

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
I've been using some Heroscape Romans to run around with my Sigilist. Seems to be okay.