Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:51:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Scholz Zeppelin (sections finished 8-26-16)  (Read 15474 times)

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Re: The Scholz Zeppelin (rooms begun 7-19-16)
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
First, this is mad and magnificent! I want one. (Actually, I want two, with armored cannon sponsons, so we can duel for Aerial Supremacy, but that's another project for another life...)

Second, some suggestions. Are your upper-level balconies deep enough to admit LEDs to light the areas beneath the balcony? If you pre-cut holes in your vertical frames, electrical wiring can be passed longitudinally with ease. (Also looks more like the weight-saving frame construction one sees in aircraft construction.)

With magnetic joints, you can build and swap out sections as scenarios require - I'm picturing a multi-level mad scientist's lair with drop-pods poised to spew chemicals/mutant flyers/other madness over an unsuspecting countryside below...

I await further developments with interest!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2016, 03:52:30 PM »

And I would suggest it was the insane nature of how the whole fit together, but when you finally release a kit, I have to suggest that will be in the hands of the final builders.  ;)

You might be surprised how marketable the failures would be. I'd like a go at a few, myself.  :?

You bet, folks can decide how to put them together, with the exception of the bow and stern of course.

I think the shipping would be outrageous.  I think it would be cheaper to buy the completed model TBH.

Especially with a hexgrid-on-Perspex Crimson Skies flight level!  Shocked

The half sections would be perfect, you know.  Wink

Doug

Do you have any pictures?  I'm not familiar with the game and I'm not sure what you mean.

Holy!  If I only had the room!  Amazing!

Of course you do!  You just haven't prioritized it!  ;)

Are your upper-level balconies deep enough to admit LEDs to light the areas beneath the balcony?

I think you could do that with ease without the holes, there is plenty of room below the catwalks for this.   Unfortunately it's not my forte, I'll leave this to others to experiment with.

With magnetic joints, you can build and swap out sections as scenarios require

There are magnetic joints on the bottom and screws and wingnuts holding it together on the top.  It's completely sound and very 'swappable'.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »
What might be cool, and it's something we couldn't do because we were doing it by hand, but you could make the top sections too and have a FULL Zeppelin!

That's funny, that's the same suggestion your partner in crime mentioned.  Perhaps that could be the job of those failed pieces?  I'd be missing the section the goes completely vertical as my build started at the next angle down.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 05:28:49 AM »
Work continues, I built a new set of frames and modified the envelope to accept the windows and here is where I'm at.

Just a couple of minor adjustments that are finished and need to be cut tomorrow morning and this section is finished.

I bought a few juice containers to try out for nacelles, but will also try an MDF one.  But the cargo section is next...

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 06:04:50 AM »
Wow.  This is a really bad idea ... because I need one.  :o
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
Do you have any pictures?  I'm not familiar with the game and I'm not sure what you mean.

Crimson skies uses a hex grix, I think he is suggesting building a crashed zep table and then having a clear plate over it with the hexes on it.  :D Personally I was more thinking something small and complicated for skirmish games, a crashed zep is a great excuse to have a multi level construction with open tops, something that's great for small skirmish games but there aren't that many actual things that look right build like that.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
Crimson skies uses a hex grix, I think he is suggesting building a crashed zep table and then having a clear plate over it with the hexes on it.  :D

Ahh, thanks. 

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »
Finished up the Passenger Section yesterday and glued it all together to insure the fit. 2/4 of the main sections done.

Also began work on the nacelles, this is the first try...

Also put some of the unsuccessful builds on top of the current build to see how it looked...pretty cool I think... 8)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »

Also put some of the unsuccessful builds on top of the current build to see how it looked...pretty cool I think... 8)

Pretty cool he says. Its looks awesome!

For your props I recently found this tutorial, might come in handy when you get to painting.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: The Scholz Zeppelin (passenger section finished 7-22-16)
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »
Quote from: fergal
Quote from: gary42
Holy!  If I only had the room!  Amazing!
Of course you do!  You just haven't prioritized it!  ;)

Besides, it's a dirigible; you just float it in the corner over everything else. lol

Especially with a hexgrid-on-Perspex Crimson Skies flight level!  :o

The half sections would be perfect, you know.  ;)
Crimson skies uses a hex grix, I think he is suggesting building a crashed zep table and then having a clear plate over it with the hexes on it.  :D Personally I was more thinking something small and complicated for skirmish games, a crashed zep is a great excuse to have a multi level construction with open tops, something that's great for small skirmish games but there aren't that many actual things that look right build like that.

Sorry, Fergal! Thanks, YPU!

Close; the original, before the video or clix games, Pulp/Interwar, game's release at GenCon had a massive table, with the game designer running demos, with skyscrapers, bisected with the plexiglass hexboard resting on the lower floors, and the towers above. Think 'Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow' and the battle though the concrete canyons, with the flying robots.

A bar-and-grill crashed dig extending above the 'plate' would have been mind-boggleingly KEWL! Ergo,  :o

Doug

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 07:34:11 PM »
I´ve got a severe case of Zeppelin envy now...

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »
Ohhhh! That complete section REALLY looks the biz!

@YPU- mate, that's a good tutorial. I'll need to remember that one.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2016, 08:01:19 PM »
I wonder how big a balloon you'd actually need if using helium.  I have a bottle in my shop!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »
I wonder how big a balloon you'd actually need if using helium.  I have a bottle in my shop!

Or, you could take down the hanging plant in the corner over the sofa, and, using the same hooks...

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
@YPU- mate, that's a good tutorial. I'll need to remember that one.

Looking forwards to see what you do with it. I lack an airbrush but even with thinned paints it looks good.  :D