Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm League of Augsburg - William vs James  (Read 17772 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
10mm League of Augsburg - William vs James
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »
Having finally made a start to large pile of Pendraken LoA troops, that I've had sitting around for several years, I thought it would be good to document the progress here on LAF.

The Figures

This is the lead pile after a bit of initial sorting at the weekend.
  • 5 regiments of cavalry (one already sprayed black).
  • 5 regiments of infantry, some matchlock, some firelock
  • 3 partial regiments of infantry - mainly needing pike adding
  • a bag of pike in curassis and helmet
  • a bag of grenadiers
  • a bag of scythemen
  • lots of extra command figures

For rules I am looking at Baroque, with Victory without Quarter as a backup simpler option!

Both use 12cm frontage and 4cm depth with 10mm, which allows me to use thee 40x40mm square bases per unit which are my current preferred size.

For cavalry regiments I have gone with 15 figures (5 per base), keeping pistol and sword armed troops separate. Mainly so if I need to differentiate between trotters / gallopers / reiters I can)

For infantry regiments I have gone with 24 shot (on two bases) 15 pike on the central base, and 6-8 command figures, mainly on the central base. But after doing this organising, I think I have gone a bit too pike heavy, and I haven't included any grenadiers. So I might flex the numbers a little. 

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: 10mm League of Augsburg - William vs James
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:44:40 PM »
I have decided to focus on the Battle of the Boyne in  1690 to build units, on the principle that its best to build specific units for a specific battle, then they can always be used as proxies in other battles!! My main hesitation about choosing the Battle of the Boyne is that it is still used as a proxy for current political arguments - but there is lots of info available about it!

I have picked up some of the very useful uniform guides from the League of Augsburg website to help guide me on what uniform colours to go with.

My first infantry units are going to be Willamite ones, the Dutch Garde te Voet in blue with orange facings, and the Huguenot regiments in grey with blue facings, the third will be an English regiment in Red. I am going to compress 2 actual regiments to 1 model regiment - mainly to get more different units on the table.

For the Jacobites I will go with James' Foot Guard in Red with Blue facings, and some cavalry.

I've also made a shopping list of extras, mainly dragoons and artillery and possibly some more pikes, but these may be less needed after reducing the pike count in units.

I made decent progress with the Garde to Voet at the weekend

A final bit of tidying up on these, then some basing
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:54:55 PM by fred »

Bunny

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »
Very nice, I've just painted about 1000 of these figures for both sides of the NYW.....great little figures

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »
Thanks - your blog (I think) acted as inspiration - and made me re-think pike ratios!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »
Yellow highlights added to the orange, and brown wash to the non-blue parts. Gold buttons and lace added to the officers, the troopers had plain coats, so I've kept them plain!

Offline yar68

• Scientist
    • Don't throw a 1
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
Crackin' looking figures!!!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 09:43:52 PM »
Thanks Ray. They are fantastic sculpts, and paint up very easily.

Got these chaps based up tonight - bit hot for actual painting

Really pleased with how they look. Need to finish the bases, and find some nice big flags. Oversize flags seem to work well for this era.

I finally went with 8 pikes, and 2 pikemen as standard bearers. 24 shotte and 7 command.

For other units I think I will mix in 3-4 grenadiers on the shot bases, and generally stick with the 10 pike. So I need to re-jig the bags of figures I sorted out at the weekend  >:( But it will probably give me a couple more completed units  :D

These have been a speed production unit - 4 days from spraying to basing (well apart from 8 chaps who were done a couple of years ago!)

First Cavalry unit next.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
This is a great inspiration for me as I have bags of these figures, a few undercoated, and have done nothing else with them, this will spur me on to go for it too!! :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
Good stuff Jambo - definitely get painting!!

I've been put off a bit by the level of detail on these, but it actually makes painting them easier.

I'm hoping to get on with the first cavalry unit this weekend, and get some more infantry sorted out and sprayed.

Offline vcina

• Scientist
    • Operation Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 01:19:41 AM »
Great looking figures.  Good luck with your project!!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 02:47:07 AM »
Luv dem Pendr. figs!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 06:47:24 AM »
Did some sorting of figures, to reduce the number of pike in a unit, which had the happy result of giving me enough pike to go with all my shotte - so I now have enough figures for 8 foote regiments. Even got two of them cleaned up and sprayed.

First unit of horse started - Earl of Tyrconnel's Regiment of Horse (Jacobite)

Just first round of block colours at this stage. Going for dark red coats, they do have buff trousers, but very little of these can be seen between the long boots and the long coats!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
More work on Tyrconnel's Horse

Another coat of red to strengthen it a bit. Gloves and cross belts done buff. Lace gone over with white. Wood darkened. Tack gone over in black. Blanket rolls done in a couple of greyish colours.

Still need to do hat lace, highlights on the horses, socks and blazes on horses. White lace on the back strip, which I realised I had missed when I took the photo  :-[

De La Meloniere (Williamite)

And a start on one of William's Huguenot foot regiments, they will have blue facings.
Just a wash of medium grey so far, with hats and wood done.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Blimey, those are some nicely painted horses - and their riders.

Watching the theme with interest. Despite being born and raised in Northern Ireland, to my shame I don't know too many details about this scuffle; aside from - as you say - a proxy for current political arguments. (Well, maybe that's why.  :P )

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 06:20:13 AM »
Thanks - they are very nice sculpts which helps with the painting.

I didn't know much about this conflict a couple of weeks ago - and as I start to find out more I am finding what little I thought I knew was wrong. Both sides are multi-national, with English, Irish, Scots and French on both sides, with the Williamite forces also having Dutch and Danish troops. More of a religious war than a national one it seems.