Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm League of Augsburg - William vs James  (Read 17774 times)

Bunny

Re: 10mm League of Augsburg - William vs James
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 08:24:51 AM »
Great start!

I love this period and have a small collect (about 1500 figures) covering both sides.  I actually manged a game while I was home so may be put some pictures up.

Looking forward to seeing your finished project

Offline Steamingdave

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »
Nice looking project. I am building the Boyne armies, using one 60 mm x 30 mm base per battalion. So far completed all of the Dutch and Danish and about half way through the "English" (actually lot of Irish) of William. The Pendraken figures are beautiful little sculpts. We use the " Twilight of the SunKing", originally from the Pike and Shotte society, but now heavily modified as a result of extensive play testing. We use the same rules for WSS, GNW and Russo-Ottoman war. Our modifications take account of different proportions of pike, tactics of cavalry, type of firearms etc. The rules are very quick to play and we have completed several historical battles, such as Aughrim, Landen, Blenheim, Ramillies  as well as some " what ifs" such as a speculative Pruth River battle between a largely mounted Ottoman army and a more conventional Russian army of Peter the Great. ( pic attached hopefully). The rules use "brigades" of two bases, but are flexible enough to cope with a range of base sizes and styles. I believe the modified rules will soon be republished by the Pike and Shotte society, along with a scenario booklet covering the period of about 1690 to 1715.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
Cool looking game Dave, lots of cavalry on the table!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
Tyrconnell's Horse
Got the last bits of lace and tack done on these guys - and then stuck on bases.

Still the bases to finish off, along with a flag.

Highlanders
From the reading I have done it seems likely that by the time of the Boyne most Highland units had been re-clothed and re-equipped like most other troops - but for the previous year more traditionally equipped  highland units were involved (and I had these guys nearly ready anyway!)

Again bases and flags to do, a bit of a theme here...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 08:18:19 PM »
Got Tyrconnel's horse and the Garde te Voet based up this afternoon

These photos seem to have come out better under artificial light, than the earlier ones under daylight.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:21:07 PM by fred »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »
Williamite Huguenot Regiment

About half-way through the next regiment, a moderately generic French regiment in grey coats, with blue cuffs, armed with matchlocks. They will probably get flags to represent the Regiment De La Meloniere.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 06:52:17 AM »
Grey & Blue Regiment

More work on these chaps last night, they are pretty much there, other than hat lace

I have been reminded that at the Boyne the Williamite Huguenot regiments did not carry pikes - so I need to decide what to do with these chaps. A quick transfer to the Jacobite cause may be in the offing as James had a Brigade of French troops.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 06:45:55 AM »
Although I appear to be talking to myself, I'll assume from the number of views, that some people are at least looking, if not commenting.

Based these chaps last night, and left the glue to set overnight, so some quick snaps this morning before work

And as they are marching, arranged in column

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »
Really impressed watching all this. I intend to start up on 10mm soon, for the first time, on a new project and so watching you work on the figures has really helped me. I take it you've been using washes over the undercoat, and then maybe 'block' paint particular parts of the uniform? Any painting tips would be appreciated  :)

Offline Fencing Frog

• Scientist
    • Fencing Frog
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
Very nice work I've toyed with getting some of these for a while

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:43 PM »
Thanks chaps  :)

These are really nice figures, and I'm enjoying painting them. I've had them far too long before getting started on this project, but it seems to be cracking along nicely now.

As to painting style - with the white basecoat I have gone for thinned paint for the main coat colour. For the blue and red coats this has worked pretty well, the the grey less so, perhaps the paint was a bit thick.

These are the latest regiment which have just had the thinned red over the white. This does give some depth to the main colour.
The rest of the colours are generally single shade.
I have tended to add a bit of highlight to the coats - as so much of the model is this colour.
Then a thin brown wash overall, to give a bit of general shading, especially to the faces, hands, straps etc.

The cavalry I did over black, as I prefer this for the horses.

Offline vcina

• Scientist
    • Operation Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 04:47:31 AM »
Fantastic!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »
Thanks vcina

Had quite a bit of time this afternoon and evening for painting, so I have made decent progress with King James' II Foot Guard

Most of the main colours blocked in now.

Next up, white neck cloths, assorted browns for hair and shoes, oily steel for metal work on weapons. Some tidying up on the red. Officers' sashes in dark reddish purple. Then the fiddly bits of blue hat bands, and yellow hat lace.

Need to work out what to do with the grenadiers' caps too.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »
Thanks Fred, and noted the white undercoat for the infantry. It's been a fair few years since I did that in my usual painting, but that's generally larger scale stuff. Looking forward to giving this a go - will remind me of my early days, white undercoat on 15mm Minifigs Napoleonics and then Humbrol enamel!  :?

May I ask another question please? What are the bases dimensions in these photos?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 01:49:51 PM »
I seem to recall when I was using Humbrol Enamels the whole idea of undercoat was a bit novel, we generally painted directly on the metal!

Bases are 40mm squares, these are my new favourite size, they allow a good number of figures, and if you want to arrange figures in an interesting way there is space to do so. For years I have used 40x20mm bases for 10mm figures, due to Warmaster, and while these work great with the GW figures in strips, they are very restrictive for single based figures.