Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:19:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mansions of Madness 2nd edition  (Read 2984 times)

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Mansions of Madness 2nd edition
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:32:06 AM »
Apparently out next week. This looks very interesting. Played 1st Ed quite a few times but didn't enjoy the lengthy setup. This App run game will hopefully get rid of that
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/25/mansions-of-madness-second-edition/

You may want to avoid the dedicated forum, it seems to have a very high level of whining arses

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
Re: Mansions of Madness 2nd edition
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »

I've played a friend's copy of 1st once or twice, but never took the leap to buying it.  The app making it co-op (and solo-able!) means I will probably cave on this one.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
The app running the game so anyone can play a character is a pretty cool thing. I might have to get this new edition.
They made one for Descent as well and I hope that they'll make one for Imperial Assault.

Offline Beowulf

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »
I have the 1st Ed. I think that getting rid of the GM and making it a cooperative game is an excellent idea.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 12:40:33 AM »
I agree. However, I think the game was best played with the Keeper playing not as an adversary but rather as a GM of sorts thats tries to make thigns difficult for the players but not use the sometimes ridiculously powerful cards to insta-kill characters. The game has severe balance issues both ways, depending on the chosen scenario, and a Keeper that plays like a GM can alleviate those issues by conveniently forgetting to put markers on the clock, for example, or use his monsters to attack the character that is not close to death. An app controlling the game takes these choices away, so FFG better make sure they put a lot more work into playtesting their new scenarios.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:43:41 AM »
We were hyped for 1st edition and played the game...but I never really liked it a lot. It was a typical FFG game where you had to keep rushing to prevent an automatic loss. I don't like this mechanic an especially in a Cthulhu game. And the way monsters are used felt boring too. The game came with loads of plastic models but you hardly used them! Often only 1 or 2 per game. Sure, fits the setting well but it felt a bit lame with all the stuff you had.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:30:05 AM »
I agree. However, I think the game was best played with the Keeper playing not as an adversary but rather as a GM of sorts thats tries to make thigns difficult for the players but not use the sometimes ridiculously powerful cards to insta-kill characters. The game has severe balance issues both ways, depending on the chosen scenario, and a Keeper that plays like a GM can alleviate those issues by conveniently forgetting to put markers on the clock, for example, or use his monsters to attack the character that is not close to death. An app controlling the game takes these choices away, so FFG better make sure they put a lot more work into playtesting their new scenarios.

I agree completely - I've played it once with a keeper who "played to win at all costs" and it most definately was a very poor gaming experience, not much fun really. When I am the keeper, I try to use my resources to 'pace' the game, so the players are kept on the edge of their seat. They should always have the feeling that they could have won (or lost) - a walkover victory (or defeat) generally is not too interesting.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Aeneades

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »
I have been really enjoying the new edition of Mansions of Madness and looking forward to the expansions which should be arriving in stores around the 22nd of this month (the expansions contain all the tiles, monsters and investigators from 1st edition core box and expansions).

One thing I have done is rebase all the miniatures onto clear acrylic  bases rather than the unwielding ugly black ones that come with the game.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 33