Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:26:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fist Full of Lead 2nd ed: Now an AAR with pictures!  (Read 2578 times)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Fist Full of Lead 2nd ed: Now an AAR with pictures!
« on: August 04, 2016, 03:52:32 PM »
My 14 year old daughter and I played our first game of FFoL 2ns last night.   Played on a 2x2 ft area, main road of a small town down the center, 3 buildings on each side of the road along with stacks of barrels and stuff for scatter terrain.

She had 4 female gunslingers, two with pistols, one rifle and one shotgun.  I had a group of four similarly armed Mexican banditos who had come north for what they hoped were easy pickings.  

3 buildings had one loot marker each.  Goal was to grab loot and get back off the board.

She and I were having so much fun we forgot to take pictures.  :-[

The game was fun.   Made a couple errors (did not have jumping over a stack of barrels cost 3 inches of movement, so figures went a bit further when coming out of cover in some cases) and ended up with a couple of questions.

Does the deck get shuffled each turn?   I suspect so, though we ran through the deck without reshuffling.  

How do you handle a pinned and wounded figure?

You roll to recover.   Does one recover success take away the wound and the pin?  Or just one, and if so, which (player's choice?).  If you roll that success and recover from the pin, do you stand up even though wounded?   We had a couple cases of this and played it the success took away the pin and left you standing wounded...

Daughter had a blast and insisted we not pack everything back up and put it back in our basement storage area but instead stack the containers neatly in my office so we can play again soon.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:29:08 PM by CptJake »
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
Re: Fist Full of Lead 2nd ed questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:35 PM »
These are the first rules I am going to try - read through them once and understand them!  Yeah! They look like the simplest and offer some variety at the same time.

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
We did have a blast.  She wants to play again tonight, and asked if she could buy a building to put together and paint up.

One stand out point.   She had one of her cowgals leave cover and run up to one of my desperados and initiate close combat.   She lost the close combat roll and became pinned.   My guy activated and initiated another round with her prone and pinned figure.   She won the roll and on the subsequent wound rolls killed him.

We explained it as if in a movie.   She charges him just to get popped in the face with his rifle butt.   He then chuckles, and as he takes aim to finish her off she rolls over onto her back and lets him have it with her Colt.  BOOM! down he goes!

Lots of fun.   

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
I enjoy playing these rules, nice and simple.

You shuffle the deck each turn (page 2).

If you recover from a pin you are still wounded, the only way to recover from wounds is if you play a queen of hearts for that figure or if you have a doctor (page 40) in the game.

If you recover from a pin you stand up and take one action.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Re: Fist Full of Lead 2nd Game AAR with pictures
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
Okay, so we played a bit wrong...   Typical for a bonehead like myself.  

lol

Daughter asked 'Can we play again?' and so we did.  Shuffled each turn and handled wounds correctly.   And I took pictures!

Layout on a 3'x3' table:

Each of us picked five figures, she again stuck with the female gunslingers and I again took Los Deperados Mexicanos.  

We each spent the first turn going towards cover while trying to get into range.  We each had one rifle armed figure and a couple shotguns and a couple pistol armed figures.   Shotguns proved to be the game winner.

There was a loot marker in the barn, and both of us went towards it.   The majority of the action centered around the barn.   Her rolling was great, and though I got cards I needed my rolling was abysmal.  

I had tried to circle a guy around the back side of town to ambush one of her figures that went into the local jail to grab a loot marker.   I got into range of the back door to the jail and La Chica Peligrosa burst out of the back door, loot bag in hand, and with a well placed shot took my poor campesino down.  

Meanwhile, one of my guys infiltrated the barn where there was a female gunslinger in the hay loft causing havoc (having killed one poor Mexican and wounded another).   He stealthy climbed up the hay loft and let her have it at close range with his shotgun.  BOOM!

Unfortunately the climb up the ladder coupled with mucho tequila prior to the battle threw off his aim and he just pinned her.   She recovered from the pin and blew him to hell.  

:'(

Eventually my rifle armed hero on overwatch (not in game terms but in tactical terms) was the only guy I had left.  He made a valiant stand, recovering from pin after pin and carrying a vicious wound.   He was eventually surrounded and gunned down in cold blood, leaving 5 hijos pequeños y una esposa bonita wondering why he never came home.  

:-[

My daughter seems to have a mean streak, taking obnoxious pride in blowing away people with a shotgun.   She is already plotting her next act of destruction and mayhem against her poor peace loving father (who wonders where he went wrong).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:01:21 PM by CptJake »

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Re: Fist Full of Lead 2nd ed: Now an AAR with pictures!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:02:45 PM »
Nice set up you have there. :)
I play Mexicans quite a lot, I have played a Magnificent 7 scenario a number of times.
I am thinking of getting the Sarissa Mexican Church which is based on the church in the film.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
Daughter set it all up last night.   She really enjoys that aspect of it as much as she enjoys beating her poor father. 

I need to get a few more buildings and find the rest of my scatter terrain.   We moved last year to a house that is half the size of our previous one, and all my game stuff is still packed up in boxes in a basement storage area.   I dug out this stuff pretty easily (just finding the barn last night) but still have more to find.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
Cpt Jake,
I love reading reports like this. This is what the game was made for. I have a surprising number of players who game with their kids/grand kids.
Black Burt answered some of your questions, but to clarify:
Does the deck get shuffled each turn?   I suspect so, though we ran through the deck without reshuffling. 
pg 2 "Each game turn is divided into 2 phases.
1. Shuffle & Deal"

How do you handle a pinned and wounded figure?
You roll to recover.   Does one recover success take away the wound and the pin?  Or just one, and if so, which (player's choice?).  If you roll that success and recover from the pin, do you stand up even though wounded?   We had a couple cases of this and played it the success took away the pin and left you standing wounded...

Page 11 spells out everything, but page 39 calls out your case:
“My model is down. He was wounded earlier but is now just pinned. How do I roll to recover?”
- When down, you don’t have to roll for both conditions. Just make the roll, keeping in mind the worst of the two. A roll of 2-5 means
they are still down. Six to 10 and they are up, still wounded. A “1” means they have bled out and died.
A Special Queen of Spades would get them up and still have two actions, but still be wounded. A Special Queen of Hearts would
remove the wound, and still have two actions.

Hope that clears it up. You can always email me with questions. My contact info is in the rules.
BTW, there are a over 20 scenarios in the rules she might like.
-J

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
Nice set up and write up. FoL is one of my favourite games. We've never not had fun.