Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:24:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy flight anounces RuneWars  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Fantasy flight anounces RuneWars
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
A turning key, set speeds, maneuvers, the upgrade cards in X-wing act like a cut down version of the upgrade/customization system in Carwars...pretty similar.
???  I've played a lot of Car Wars and a fair amount of X-Wing, and I don't see that at all.  They're about as dissimilar a set of rules as, say, Napoleon's Battles and Warhammer 40K.

I think he means grid less car wars. Like 5e
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »
First Impressions on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1617009/initial-thoughts-after-gencon-demo

Cool, thanks for that link. Looks like there are indeed classes of upgrades, the super generic icons at the tops of the preview cards (horn and banner) are in fact indicative of their category.

Looking at the types of upgrades, there are: musician, banner, leader, magic? (triple rings) and siege engine? Upgrades. the last one is clearly a ballista only available to larger units. Interesting that, curious to see if those will just be cards you stick to the unit's stack or if there will be actual models to place in the unit.

Looks a large part of the game mechanics comes from what icons are available on the units dials, much like x-wing does. But each unit has  twin dials so that opens up more options I'm sure.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 11:36:40 AM »
Beasts of war have an extensive demo game online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqP9HW4ySvE

I noted something I don't like. The movement templates work great for vehicles since you can easily over or understeer in combat on a vehicle, but in the demo a mage, a one model unit oversteered into a piece of blocking terrain. Why would a single rider, or even a single model unit ever make a stupid turn like that in combat? It's simply not how people move in real life.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:40:15 AM by YPU »

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 09:22:14 PM »
Also a marching formation isn't rigidly locked together so if they marched one flank say into a wall the whole unit wouldn't snag, you'd just have the guys on the edge be out of formation until they can hurry and then reform past the obstacle.