Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690825
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Broken Legions question  (Read 9318 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Broken Legions question
« on: August 06, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »
Does anyone know exactly what 'nations' will be featured, I know Romans, Celts, Dacians and Germans but is that it?

I tried asking on the northstar website and got a vague non-answer.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
Re: Broken Legions question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 09:03:16 AM »
These are the nations/factions featured in the version I helped playtest:
- Romans; actually they have three different ones: Son of the Eagle, The Order of Mithras, Sons of Spartacus.
- Barbarians (Britons, Iceni, Irish, Gauls and Numantians)
- Germanic Tribes (incl. Goths)
- Dacians
- The Argonauts (basically Greece)
- The Cult of Seth
- Pathians

Whether anything has been changed I don't know, but the Dacians were originally part of the Germanic Tribes. But the author was given a lot of feedback that they should be different and be able to have vampiric creatures.

Take a look at my blog for more information: http://londonbymidnight.blogspot.dk/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 09:13:06 AM »
Excellent blog, from the look see doent float my boat it seem like small warbands. Of gods and mortals would provide a similar vibe

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
Methinks this will be the ancient skirmish game that  i've always wanted, strip out the more fantastical elements and you get a system tailor-made to simulate tribal raiding in Rome, Gaul or further afield, plus no need to buy an absolute horde of men to make a viable force.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the information share
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
I have been really tempted by this,not a period I am normally into.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:45:29 PM »
Due to the large mini requirement I would say it's a hard period to get into in some respects.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
Anyone seen a good review of the final rules yet? I'm still on the fence with these as not really a period I skirmish game in at the moment.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Ddogwood

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »
Anyone seen a good review of the final rules yet? I'm still on the fence with these as not really a period I skirmish game in at the moment.

I ordered them - I loved Legends of the Old West so this was an easy sell for me.  Unfortunately it's en route via Canada Post, and it looks like there may be a postal strike before it arrives  :(

I will post my first impressions when (if!) it arrives.

Offline Lawn Dart

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »
In advance of the physical rulebook showing up at my local store, I also bought the Kindle version.  As expected, it's very similar to Legends of the Old West, with some magic thrown in.   I'm going to try and get my group to play soon, as we were all big fans of Legends of the Old West.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 02:04:46 AM »
Thanks for the quick review! I didn't even realize this was released yet... I thought it was slated for the fall!

I like the idea for the time period, you could even argue that if you don't like the rules you can at least skim it for some ideas to transpose onto a more favourable ruleset? Looking forward to hearing some reviews after folks have played a game or two.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »
I ordered them - I loved Legends of the Old West so this was an easy sell for me.  Unfortunately it's en route via Canada Post, and it looks like there may be a postal strike before it arrives  :(

I will post my first impressions when (if!) it arrives.

So does this mostly use the LotR SBG/ Legends of the Old West engine?

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
The preview of the book on Amazon includes the table of contents, which gives some idea of what it's all about.

Like the idea of Weird Rome, so will likely end up purchasing it.   Ancient Rome was pretty weird to begin with :)

Weird Rome has been done before--for the Savage Worlds RPG, if looking for more source material

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/119321/Weird-Wars-Rome?term=rome&manufacturers_id=27&test_epoch=0

Well, a small band of minis can be interesting to play, if you have the right system.    For fantasy, I've come to prefer the 'Songs' rules and variants: Song of Blades and Heroes, Song of Shadows and Dust, Fear and Faith.....    They could all be adapted.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/2502/Ganesha-Games

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
I had actually been looking forward to these rules for some time.
However, I began to hear things about how long a game, with only a handful
of figures took. With the reviews I read here I am glad I did not buy it.
I'll pass.

Offline Ddogwood

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
I caved and bought the digital version from Osprey while I wait (they have a sale!).

First off, the game is fundamentally the same system as the Legends of the Old West/High Seas (and LotR SBG), except modified to use a d10 instead of a d6. Personally, I think that the additional granularity is probably a great thing for these rules, because one of my main complaints about that system was that sometimes, victory came down to whoever could roll the most 6s.

I'll have to play a game before I can really comment on game length, but I have a hard time seeing how a typical match could last three hours. There is definitely more dice-rolling than in Frostgrave, which would slow things down a bit, but I don't see anything that would make the game drag other than that.

Regarding the number of special rules - I don't think it's overwhelming at all, as most of them are the typical special rules you'd find in any fairly detailed skirmish game. Certainly the "special rules" weight is insignificant compared to Warmachine, 40k, or even the Song of Blades and Heroes line of games.

As for the negatives - I was disappointed at the lack of fluff in the game. Legends of the Old West and Legends of the High Seas both had a lot of good, succinct writing about their settings. This game has little more than an introduction which sets out the premise (small groups fighting over magical stuff in the ancient world) and about a paragraph introducing each type of warband. I would have liked to see more information about the setting, and more pictures of example warbands to show how they might look.  I like the idea that you could pull together a warband out of pretty much any selection of ancients miniatures, but I would like more justification for having what sound like Bronze Age Egyptian axemen battling Imperial Roman legionaries.

Still, for an inexpensive set of rules set in an under-explored setting (at least in fantasy skirmish gaming) it's a great little game, and I look forward to playing it!