Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689636
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Toastrack & Blunt  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Toastrack & Blunt
« on: August 09, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »
Although not new to this forum, I am rather new to this board. I believe the last time I gamed Napoleonics was probably over 40 years ago!

I have recently been very inspired by two threads. In no particular order Captain Blood’s beautiful painting of his Royal Navy landing party and Matakishi’s ‘Over the Hills and Far Away’. Both have taken me back to my love of the Sharpe and Hornblower novels (and others of that ilk e.g. Patrick O’Brian and Julian Stockwin).

Matakishis’s semaphore tower in particular made me want to game some Royal Navy landings on the French and Spanish coasts. Missions such as rescue a spy or a beautiful kidnapped Duchess, abduct an enemy general or scientist and of course, destroy a semaphore tower or two.

Accordingly, I have been purchasing some figures which I have started basing and priming. Hopefully, I will update this thread every so often but I am a very slow painter! So here is the start of my Toastrack & Blunt project; Lieutenant Horatio Toastrack RN and Lieutenant Dick Blunt, 95th Rifles. I have to acknowledge here that I appropriated the name of Lieutenant Toastrack RN from the incomparable League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers, where he featured in one of their game reports. I just loved the name and had to nick it!

Foundry Royal Navy Landing Party

Warlord Chosen Men and Perry Rifles Command

The opposition……………..Perry French Dragoons and Hélène Leroux, La Marquesa de Casares el Grande y Melida Sadaba

…and just as I finished basing and priming that lot, my order from Brigade arrived very promptly this morning, more Royal Navy Landing Party.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:15:32 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
Re: Toastrack & Blunt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
Well sir, a fine project, as the original Sub-Lieutenant Toastrack, RNAS, leader of a motley crew of mercenaries from around the world and currently serving in the Back of Beyond, I find it most amusing to hear of one of the old family!

Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:55:59 PM »
Ballad of the ‘Flange’

…Being In Part The Exploits Of Some Likely Lads Across The Eight Seas And Most Of Asia By Dr Guido Le Wombat, Reluctant Ship’s Surgeon and Chronicler

The ‘Flange’, former Royal Navy seaplane carrier which saw action in the Great War, salvaged by ex-Fleet Air Arm pilot Sub-Lieutenant Toastrack and his ex-Royal Navy crew. Last seen in the South China Sea, reported to be ‘listing heavily, making slow progress’ (That’s Toastrack, not the ship!).  Possible involvement in piracy and mercenary activities.

Last known picture of the crew of the ‘Flange’, showing them on a ‘run ashore’ at some unidentified port in the Middle East, circa 192?. It is said that they left the local hostelries dry, caused the whorehouse to shut up shop for good and left 19 Gendamerie and a company from the local army garrison either in traction or in wooden boxes. Note the addition of what appears to be former British army or Royal Marine personnel.

Sub-Lieutenant Toastrack in happier times, pictured here (on the right) with wartime chum ‘Bunk Up’ Borrington. Sub-Lt. Borrington was killed in action in 1919 whilst part of the British military expedition to Russia. This is said to have led to Toastrack’s loathing of all things Bolshevik.

Sub Lieutenant Toastrack is rumoured to have thrown his lot in the ‘the only man who understands the meaning of the words that ‘the only good Bolshevik is a dead ‘un!’…The Beast of Bukhara.  Joined by a motley crew of American White Supremacists, German Amish and travelling Circus folk, he is rumoured to be now based in Tajikistan/Gerkush….

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »
Well sir, a fine project, as the original Sub-Lieutenant Toastrack, RNAS, leader of a motley crew of mercenaries from around the world and currently serving in the Back of Beyond, I find it most amusing to hear of one of the old family!

I can assure you that your illustrious ancestor will be involved in all sorts of valorous endeavours to put paid to the machinations of Johnny Crapaud, bringing only glory to the old family name. Although there may be the odd instance where not everything goes quite to plan.   ;)  Nice to (virtually) meet you.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:49:04 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
Ballad of the ‘Flange’

…Being In Part The Exploits Of Some Likely Lads Across The Eight Seas And Most Of Asia By Dr Guido Le Wombat, Reluctant Ship’s Surgeon and Chronicler

The ‘Flange’, former Royal Navy seaplane carrier which saw action in the Great War, salvaged by ex-Fleet Air Arm pilot Sub-Lieutenant Toastrack and his ex-Royal Navy crew. Last seen in the South China Sea, reported to be ‘listing heavily, making slow progress’ (That’s Toastrack, not the ship!).  Possible involvement in piracy and mercenary activities.

Last known picture of the crew of the ‘Flange’, showing them on a ‘run ashore’ at some unidentified port in the Middle East, circa 192?. It is said that they left the local hostelries dry, caused the whorehouse to shut up shop for good and left 19 Gendamerie and a company from the local army garrison either in traction or in wooden boxes. Note the addition of what appears to be former British army or Royal Marine personnel.

Sub-Lieutenant Toastrack in happier times, pictured here (on the right) with wartime chum ‘Bunk Up’ Borrington. Sub-Lt. Borrington was killed in action in 1919 whilst part of the British military expedition to Russia. This is said to have led to Toastrack’s loathing of all things Bolshevik.

Sub Lieutenant Toastrack is rumoured to have thrown his lot in the ‘the only man who understands the meaning of the words that ‘the only good Bolshevik is a dead ‘un!’…The Beast of Bukhara.  Joined by a motley crew of American White Supremacists, German Amish and travelling Circus folk, he is rumoured to be now based in Tajikistan/Gerkush….

I do hope to hear more of Toastrack's adventures in Tajikistan/Gerkush, however it may be only me, but I don't see any pictures? Perhaps Dr. Le Wombat is a reluctant chronicler as well as a reluctant surgeon? Sad to hear about Sub-Lt. Borrington, sounds like a chap could have had a jolly good run ashore with a chum like that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:51:22 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:04:38 PM »
This will be a fine project to follow.
Coincidentally I'm cutting my coastline tonight so there will be a Naval landing party report soon over on my thread.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
This will be a fine project to follow.
Coincidentally I'm cutting my coastline tonight so there will be a Naval landing party report soon over on my thread.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing your report, I'm really enjoying your thread. I bought a Spanish general from Brigade with the intention of staging a kidnap-type game, perhaps whilst he's inspecting a semaphore tower rather similar to yours!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »
I have just taken delivery of these superb miniatures from Ged at Gringo 40’s. Some Guard Engineers for my project. Order completed late Wednesday and they arrived this morning (Friday), great service. Based and primed now (unusually fast for me) and ready for some paint. The officer is particularly characterful, I can just hear him shouting, “Vous les hommes, obtenir tous ces magasins triés avant que le Colonel arrive, nous ne voulons pas lui pensant qu'il est entré dans un camp de débraillé godamn rosbifs!” (I hope I’ve got that right!).

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 08:30:16 AM »
splendid thread old chap......being followed with interest :D

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com