Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686612
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Thaw of '46  (Read 78691 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: The Thaw of '46
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 08:56:20 PM »
@ Predatorpt

Aye, I bought the AA turret as well. I've some spare Hetzer parts left over so I'll create super structure to mount the thing on (IIRC that turret was intended to be mounted on the Hetzer chassis at one point, but as with a lot of things that never happened). :P

I'm going to use my Rubicon Pz IV. And Ballardian is to blame, he's the one who showed me this!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPoRvB80A4

Of course I can't paint like Carsten but I'll give it a try anyway.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »
I just don't like vertical armour plates on tanks, so I would've made a Panzer III/ IV with an AA mount, but they don't do much for me. :/

I have the spare Hetzer tracks sitting there, but need to jury rig the hydraulics, etc as the Rubicon kit only comes with one set. The plan's to use the turret to make something like this:

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 10:44:01 PM »
Love the Pantherturm (have one on the go using the left over Rubicon turret) & your panzergrenadiers, the Kugelblitz turret on the Hetzer/E-10  chassis would look great.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
Query: anyone know where I could find a Tiger II track assembly in 1/56th, other than buying full kits to cannibalize? My Panther II may have to be a Ausf F for lack of spare tracks (which isn't a biggee, I'll just say they upgraded the Ausf F with better armour and a gas turbine engine at some point).  :?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
Maybe you can try and contact Warlord and see if you can buy the tracks separately?  o_o

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »
Well the Tiger II's are cast to order to start with...

I'm not sure my heart's into sticking with the Tiger II tracks at this rate. Probably easier to keep it as an Ausf instead of the II. In the timeline it wouldn't matter anyway as any further Panther development would be token at best with the E-Series' deployment.

To brainstorm a bit, as I'm at work anyhow, I'll be going for the following with my Panther variant:

Ausf F turret
Increased frontal armour
Gas Turbine Engine (a bare rear deck with an exhaust at the rear)
Infrared sights
Rear extended fuel barrels (?)
Spaced Armour (turret/ sides) (?)

Anything else I'm missing in that wishlist? Oh, and with actual real world deployment, were the upgraded models issued to whole units commonly, or were there instances where individual vehicles entered existing units? ...Not that it'll matter as the APCs I have are already numbered differently (just in case I ever buy another Panther I suppose).

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
anyone know where I could find a Tiger II track assembly in 1/56th, other than buying full kits to cannibalize?
As I'm sure you've found, aftermarket stuff like that just doesn't exist in 1/56, as a scale it just doesn't seem to impinge on the conciousness of the scale model manufacturers (which is a pity for them, as gamers would be the last untapped market). I've seen a few 1/48 examples, but their size might make them useless.
 Had you considered putting a request in on the Bazaar of Obscurities want threads - perhaps someone would be happy to sell the resilient wheel/track sets from the Rubicon Tiger I which wouldn't be too awful a job to convert to your needs - you'd probably want a couple of sets.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
Ping JTFM and see if he'd be willing to check his bins for ruined Tiger II racks or cast a set for you.  He's doing after 46 stuff now as part of his lineup, so he may be willing to maybe trade for painting or something.

I don't have any Tiger II, but I do have CAD for the Katchzen, E-10, E-25, Lowe and am working on the 38D series for release in 1/56.

Brent
Company B

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »
I take it that's one of those entirely fictional tanks which have crept into WoT? There was a reconnaissance version of the Panther planned, on a scaled down hull, call the Leopard, but that never went anywhere (unless that's what that tank you mentioned is supposed to be, but it doesn't look quite the same).

No options on my front, I've a cave table for Frostgrave still to finish, but've bought a new laptop, so have been so distracted by being able to actually play video games again. :)

Sorry i didn't reply earlier.

The aufklarungspanther was indeed a reconnaissance version of the Panther, using the standard hull and the turret from the Leopard/Luchs scout lines. It was a late-war design and was never produced as a prototype, but was intended to use existing materials only and all the parts to make one did exist, as it was simply the mating of existing hulls & turrets.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
@FramFramson

Aww, but the Puma turret looks so piddly on the Panther hull.  :)

But aye, practically speaking, I don't see the point. The Leopard was cancelled because the Panther hull made it too much of a target. As a late war idea, fair enough, but I don't see how it'd be practical (why use the Panther chassis instead of a smaller obsolete one?). Heh, not to go off on one on you though. ;)

Re: the Panther II. That's the hull I was going to use as it is now (those side skirts are a bit natty as I under-estimated how low the Rubicon turret sits and so took a Stanley to them). Aye, I've given up on the tracks; largely due to my own impatience, it'll be a Ausf F instead.

I'm still waiting on the turret and infrared, but I may as well finish the hull. I'm thinking of doing something like this for the extra fuel barrels (T-34 style, I'll remove the rear armour plates to fit them), but I'm not sure if that fits what was originally proposed (...not that I care):

And aye, I'll probably pickup some of the Weird War stuff from Canada eventually, but the wait is a bit of a drag (with UK retailers I can be a lot more flippant with orders). Ooh, but keep us posted CompanyB on your own stuff. Oddly enough you're pretty good for loads of country's equipment, not just Germany like every other site. :)

Ack, and again to show my own millennial lack of attention span, I caught a look at this online and now I want one. I am passing a model shop today.  :'(

Even if the whole concept screams bollocks to me...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:06:36 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
That's a Pz IV with slopped armor, right? Saw some discussion about it here:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/240324-panzerkampfwagen-iv-ausf-kl-sloped-armor/

And Queeg did this:

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
Queeg!!!!!!

;)

Aye, I'm a sucker for German tanks with sloped armour (well vintage sloped armour in general actually. Not that I've been pining for Rubicon to make an IS-3 eventually... Hey, I need something to go up against the Germans). Oh, and to quote that thread you linked. :D

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
Yes, the Panzer IV with sloped armour is generally regarded as fantasy, (along with the version bearing the schmalturm & L70 75mm). Gaso-line used to do one in 1/50 & there may be one floating around on Ebay (though given its rarity I'd expect a hefty price tag) & it does look undeniably cool.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:09:56 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
Loving your work so far :D

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 11:51:56 PM »