Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:46:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Thaw of '46  (Read 78706 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
The Thaw of '46
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:04:39 AM »

Early 1946, and Europe is marking the 5th year since the Second World War ended in a peace treaty between Germany and Great Britain. On the Eastern Front the Soviet Union continues to fight alone, their superior numbers keeping the Nazis at bay.

Anyone who's read A Kill in the Morning will see me ripping off that story's pretense right away. Konflikt '47 peaked my interest in a wargame in the weird war setting, but personally I'm not into the "weird" elements so much. ...Just some massive jumps in logic when it comes to theoretical post-war technological development.

So, without further procrastination, here's yet another project blog from myself (I think that's me up to my fourth one at this point). I guess I'll show off what I have so far.

A Katzchen APC.

The Katzchen was envisaged as a replacement for the Sd.Kfz. 250/ 251 not that far into the war, but never took off (probably because the army could barely supply that many Hanomags to their troops in the first place, a lot of guys were still using horse drawn carts). With enough time variants mounting anti-tank guns and AA mounts would be introduced, but overall the Katzchen would not fair well against Soviet man portable RPGs which led to heavier second generation AFVs being introduced.

The mini's based on a 1/56th Rubicon Hetzer lower chassis and tracks, with a plasticard upper hull. Some design liberties were taken as there were two models of this APC developed, and source images online conflict between the two and imaginary components. I've another Hetzer sitting there, so I'll hopefully fix these when I convert that.

Panzer Grenadiers

The infantry represent a veteran unit fighting on the Eastern Front, kitted out with obsolete MP-40 SMGs and wearing captured Soviet armoured vests (though the SS had their own variant). As the stalemate of the Eastern Front drew on similarly armed units were not uncommon, though the stabilizing of the rest of Europe would eventually have these men relieved by fresher troops.

An excuse to use some Dust Tactics American torsos, mixed in with Wargames Factory German legs and whatever SMGs could find (a pity the Wargames Factory ones don't lend themselves to firing poses with that armour).

Griffon Heavy IFV

Hands up, I knicked the Panther APC design from Claymore on the Beyond the Sprues forum, just transferred to 1/56th scale. The historical basis lies with what would go onto be the Katzchen APC project, where original Panther hulls were offered up alongside the Hetzers (which were ultimately chosen, presumably because APCs weren't such a priority in a country short on tanks).

My line of thought with this would be comparing the M113 to what the Bradley AFV would become. Battle busses were the concept of APC at the time, a vehicle fast enough to drop men at the battlefield then bugger off home. Practically though, how many M113s were used that way? Maybe I should make a Katzchen laden in armour Zelda style...
A Bolt Action Panther which a plasticard upper hull and turret. Not that much work actually, bar the gap filling.

A StuG with a mix of factory made and improvised extra armour.

StuG Assault Guns still formed a large part of Germany's armoured units for much of the war, and would do for a few more years to come before being replaced by the E-25 (which itself was soon replaced with a more conventional turret layout). Eventually the whole line would be scrapped or sent off to aid Germany's foreign allies.

The first historical model tank kit I ever bought, finally painted after going through umpteen failed conversions (all that armour's to cover the state I made of the thing. most of that superstructure's plasticard/ milliput). Its a Tamiya 1/48th late war model, which I'm thinking about ditching as its far too large compared to that Panther (an excuse to make an E-25 or E-50 I think).

Sorry to disappoint if I haven't gone too out there with the weird stuff.  I'm picturing German Heer forces fighting without consistent supplies on the stretches of the empire, rather than the squeaky clean SS units armed with the swankiest of gear in the capital. I doubt we'll be seeing any walking tanks or laser weapons here too soon.

Having never played a game of Bolt Action (Chain of Command's been my thing) I'm winging it when it comes to units, though overall I'm considering a mechanized force made up of STG-44 armed Panzer Grenadiers, possibly alongside a squad of SS in that Panther APC, maybe 30 men tops. On the side, the pull of making some SAS with EM-2 rifles, or giving some of the Grenadiers captured AKs is strong. :)

Critism's appreciated, and yes, I can honestly say historical accuracy's not my strong point obviously (...though I guess as long as I don't throw in too many Shoggoths that's alright).

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:24:31 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: The Thaw of '46
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:50:12 AM »
Glad to finally see your efforts come into the light. And you did a great job with all the conversions!

In the case of the Griffon, a couple of questions: it's the plastic Panther from Warlord, right? And what did you use to make the back door? Plain plasticard?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 01:38:28 AM »
I feel the paintjobs require about 10% more dirt and grime... ;)

Yeah, there's one picture of the Panther APC sitting half built and unpainted.

Like I said, really simple conversion. Just regiger the rear engine compartment a bit and then fill in the rest with the turret mounting and troop compartment.

Aye, the rear door's just plasticard. If I was a rivet counter I'd have made it more realistic (I could have angled the hatch like a Sd.Kfz. 251's, though following the logic of the E-series vehicles, I think German vehicle designers had finally started to simplify their designs at that point).

To show my lack of knowledge; those white coveralls the Germans wore. Were those supplied with reversible camo like the ponchos which were provided, or just one colour? They look mass produced, so if they were I'd imagine that late in the war they went over to the one colour. I ask as thematically I'm aiming for setting the army at the end of the Russian winter where there's still some frost on the ground (to fit an existing Eastern European terrain set I have for modern games), but don't want my guys to look like more idiotic than they already do still wearing their winter camo.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »
This is a pretty cool idea.  Could even have some old British "SS" or allied troops kind of like the Spanish blue division.
Like the idea of the SAS with EM-2 rifles. Many use some plastic warlord paras when they come out and convert some of the sa80s from the old war games factory survivors into the EM-2. A nice mix of Bren guns,  bolt-action and ballpups.
Could even be used as scurity troops trying to stop rebels in the fictional time like UK. 
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
Oh and love the APCs.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:24:23 AM by commissarmoody »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
Lovely job on the APCs & grenadiers.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »
Aye, the idea with the bits would be to strip down a SA80 a bit and sculpt on some wooden framework. I've about 20 Polish partisans sitting there half painted, but no idea on how to use them (in the real world the AK fought against and alongside the Nazis - late in the war the Soviets were a larger threat, which led to the Germans supplying the AK on some occasions).

The plan now, besides going back to my Frostgrave stuff to finish off some caves, is the rest of the infantry and another APC.

For the infantry the plans on maybe another unit with SMGs then the rest of Assault Rifles. The guys with assault rifles will be a mix of STG-44s, with the odd captured AK-46, and mostly wearing some sort of body armour (because I don't want to just make straight historical minis).

Rubicon have said they aren't planning a plastic King Tiger any time soon, which means whether I add a tank is up in the air. I can stick with the Panther APC, but it only has an autocannon. That or I buy a resin King Tiger and chip off all the details. ...Even then at the points cost I'd hardly think a E-50 would ever see use.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 06:42:33 PM »
Sounds good so far.  Don't forget to get a Panzershrek and Heavy MG team out there too.... Oh and Goliath remote control mines..... And some night hunters with infered. lol
I can do crazy with your project.  :D

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »
That Panther almost looks like an aufklarungspanther.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 12:15:47 AM »
That Panther almost looks like an aufklarungspanther.

I take it that's one of those entirely fictional tanks which have crept into WoT? There was a reconnaissance version of the Panther planned, on a scaled down hull, call the Leopard, but that never went anywhere (unless that's what that tank you mentioned is supposed to be, but it doesn't look quite the same).

No options on my front, I've a cave table for Frostgrave still to finish, but've bought a new laptop, so have been so distracted by being able to actually play video games again. :)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:31 AM »
Love your conversions!
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:52 AM »
Wyrmalla, just found this conversion to keep you inspired  ;)

http://www.track-link.com/gallery/9360
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:42:58 PM by Predatorpt »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 02:01:34 AM »
Hah! That looks like what the IDF would have done with their Panthers a few decades later had that deal actually gone through instead of them being dumped with a load of Shermans.

I have other plans for that spare Panther I picked up there...

Well, maybe, or I use that Panther as something else. Maybe I turn it into a Panther II (whatever one of those would actually have looked like). An E-50's planned using the Tiger II rules, but that's overkill for most games probably.

I'm making some new stuff for my Germans, but that's still on hold as I try and rush out a cave table for Frostgrave. I'm actually making another Katzchen as I type, and have another order from Warlord coming, but nothing's coming till I finish that damn cave stuff. :(

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 02:07:21 AM »
Good luck with your Frostgrave project then. Can't wait for see your German stuff later ;)

Right now I'm only concentrating on my Americans, since my opponent for Konflikt '47 is doing Germans. But next year I'll go for the Germans so your thread is a big inspiration.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 08:14:34 AM »
I'll go back to the Germans on Wednesday, I just need to rush through the caves tonight for a game tomorrow. :)

Well, short term - as in going by what's sitting boxed or half built right now, the plan's to have:

1x Griffon AFV
2 - 4 x Katzchen APCs
5 x 6 Man Panzer Grenadier squads - 2 with SMGs/ 3 with Assault rifles + Panzerfaust/ LMGs

Plus:

1 E-50 Tank (made from a Tiger II)
1 Leopard Recce vehicle (based on the Panzer II for ease, even though the original prototype was the size of a Panther)
Another Panther (either with a Panther IV turret/ Flak turret/ or as a Panther II. Ooh, now that I type that a Panther II using the Panther kit + bulked up armour and a spare Tiger II turret I have would be cool)
1/2 SS squads with Infra Red scopes (Warlord/ scratch built)
More Infantry *not* armed with Kar-98s (I'm making that a rule, because I don't want a historical force - even if in reality uniforms/ equipment wouldn't really have changed - blame Hitler or something), flame throwers/ snipers, etc

...I'm not saying Power Armour, but Power Armour (they don't fit my setting much, but the local shop had those Clockwork Goblin ones)
I did notice Blitzkrieg have a Maus for sale...

No artillery - well maybe - I'm going for a mechanized force, and I'm not sure the board's big enough for one
No E-series smaller than the E-50 (even if they're more practical, but they look too dumb to me)
No flying saucers (...because they aren't invented ...*yet*)
Nae zombies, vampires, walking tanks (well maybe a prototype...).

...Possibly an Ubermensch- Superman (I've been wanting to make Katushka from the Uber comics for a bit. Love that series)

Oh and terrain wise I'll be using either my club's European stuff, or my own Ukrainian bits (the whole Eastern Front thing's just an excuse to use what I already have. The early spring time setting's because all that's fairly green unfortunately).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:07:09 AM by Wyrmalla »