Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2019, 11:18:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: The Thaw of '46  (Read 40926 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• mastermind
Re: The Thaw of '46
« Reply #615 on: February 09, 2019, 09:35:46 AM »
Ah, yes, I already have some "Bloody Mess" markers from my Fallout miniatures collection to represent critical hits. And that comment may have been influenced a bit by the front page of Reddit yesterday being on the Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989. Hmn, but that's perhaps too heavy a topic for this silly thread.

Currently I have that set of German Zombies from Studio Miniatures, another twenty Soviet Zombies from West Wind, and then if I'm desperate for more, a load of Warlord Games plastics done up as zombies (West Wind heads). Though I'm thinking of chucking the Warlord plastics and sourcing some Konflikt 47 German zombies on the cheap (they have better proportions). Only ten of the Studio Miniatures set are painted so far, but I have a few weeks to finish the rest. I'm trying to nail the right skin tone at the moment, and will probably go for something more pallid than what I've tried so far. Ah, more pictures forthcoming as I actually finish them. :)

Offline FreakyFenton

• librarian
« Reply #616 on: February 09, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »
The Panther 2 and the T 44 both looks superb!  :o

Took your advice and ordered some goodies from Heer 46. Nice to see the stuff in scale though! And looking forward to the zombies, if you end up posting pictures despite them being very 'ridiculous' alternate history.  :D lol

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• galactic brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #617 on: February 09, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
I'm trying to nail the right skin tone at the moment, and will probably go for something more pallid than what I've tried so far. Ah, more pictures forthcoming as I actually finish them. :)

I did mine using Humbrol 90 as a replacement for rotting flesh (I sprayed the lot with PSC Field Grey first, flesh in Humbrol 90 then Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2017/02/zombies-hundreds-of-them.html

However after seeing Opponent Theory's tutorial:
https://opponent-theory.blogspot.com/2017/04/zombies-painting-tutorial.html

I tried his method on a freebie from Salute and then redid my Prelude to Woodbury walkers.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-walking-dead-salute-figure.html

An alternative is to use Citadel Rakarth Flesh, lighten with Citadel Wycth pallid flesh and shade with Citadel Carronburg Crimson (that might also be the recipe for Cave Goblins(tm)).
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2018/03/punk-zombies-resurrectionist-minion.html

I hope this might be of use.

Offline Wyrmalla

• mastermind
« Reply #618 on: February 12, 2019, 05:08:18 PM »
Hmn...

The things that you come across on the internet. :)

A Bulgarian pillbox made out of a T-34 with a T-62 turret. Enough foresight went into this for them to increase the size of the turret ring. Though as its a pillbox they removed the engine as well (which would get in the way of the turret. ...Not that I already tried fitting a T-54 turret to a T-34 and came across this issue).

Speaking of engines though, perhaps there's a solution to that problem...

Oddly enough Blizkrieg's T-54 turret fits Warlord's IS-2 turret ring perfectly too.  ::)

Hmn, so there's an idea. A prototype modification to bring the T-54 turret to the T-34 as some ill advised modernisation project. Obviously doing something about the turret ring and engine so it can actually support the thing. Probably not any extra armour though, as I suspect the new turret would already be messing with the weight distribution.

...Or is this idea just too silly?

Edit:

Also from Bulgaria. A Panzer IV with a Zis-3. Again a bunker, so not an actual tank - not that this has stopped other what if modellers. I do like Panzer IVs... :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:15:02 PM by Wyrmalla »

• galactic brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #619 on: February 12, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »
Your first image does display as a complaint from Track-Link.

More interesting denizens of the 'net.

Okay, what is the source of the tank/lorry hybrid?

You do not see enough Panzer IVs in post war service.

Offline Wyrmalla

• mastermind
« Reply #620 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:34 PM »
The first image is just another angle on that T-34. As for the Hellcat, the caption I found was "M-18 Hellcat Bijeljina Republic of Srpska April 2000", pictured in some open air "museum". Presumably (hopefully) a training vehicle similar to that T-54 with a Hellcat turret from those regional conflicts.

More images here: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=201540

Syria was the main user of the Panzer IV post war. Some of the Eastern bloc countries had them for a time as well, though I suspect Romania was a user as they had repair depots for loads of German vehicles, and Bulgaria just used them as static defences. The blog WWII After WWII's articles on WWII vehicles in the Arab Israeli wars doesn't paint many of them in a good light, and they were quickly removed from inventory to again be used as pillboxes.

• galactic brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #621 on: February 13, 2019, 09:12:25 AM »
The Osprey "Modelling the T55" book says that the T54 with the Hellcat turret (one of the projects) was due to the restriction on ammunition above a certain calibre, they could obtain the 90mm ammunition for the Hellcat but not the 100mm ammunition for the T55 gun. Hence the turret swap (and the replacement engine of your example I guess).

YMMV.