Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2019, 03:17:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: The Thaw of '46  (Read 45198 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• scatterbrained genius
Re: The Thaw of '46
« Reply #645 on: June 20, 2019, 08:24:01 PM »
Here's the state those two WIPs I mentioned are in.

The SG-122 so far's coming along - with today most of the time spent on it being marking out the layout of further parts. Annoyingly the number and quality of period images isn't great, and models and replicas get them wrong. So I may have fudged them a little, but considering people probably think this is just a weird looking StuG or something I don't think its a major issue. :P

So far the Panzer IV ...is at least now in one place. A bit more filling to go then I'll add on the smaller bits. I won't bother with much more rebuilding at the front; instead it'll just be covered in sandbags and tracks.

The muzzle brake was replaced with the Panzer IV's one, but I think it'll look better without it as it makes it look too German - or add one of those barrel extensions the Soviets tried out for their 76s. Something. ...

Offline von Lucky

• galactic brain
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #646 on: June 29, 2019, 12:50:14 AM »
Nice conversions and painting. I actually like the Maus as it is.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FreakyFenton

• scientist
« Reply #647 on: June 29, 2019, 02:12:31 AM »
Amazing work, but I do have to ask where the purple grid/mesh is from.  :o ???

Offline Wyrmalla

• scatterbrained genius
« Reply #648 on: July 05, 2019, 02:01:09 AM »
Sorry about the delayed response. My laptop decided to die and I've not had a computer since to do much with (...in particular upload pictures). That's not rectified itself, but I can at least respond here. I'll risk tasking this thing's poor Wifi card for a post with pictures at some point. :P

The plasticard with the grid was bought from a local crafts store, so sorry, no luck on an actual source. Its the sort of vacuform material you find smaller outlets producing themselves - I bought a tonne of it a while ago for terrain. It doesn't take much to make so shouldn't be impossible to find online in a similar pattern.

As for this thread and progress on things. Last week I mostly worked on modern things, pretty much all just more terrain - and yes will eventually get around to posting images of the games we've played using that stuff. With that its been an effort to work on existing figures I have. There's been two wargames shows lately where I've bought little after I realised how much stuff was at home to work with.

Yes, for the WWII collection however things have been a bit more glacial. At least with the weird figures. I've been rooting through my infantry collection as we debate at my club using the Star Wars: Legion rules for other settings, besides the modern cludge we've tried so far. So I've been slowly organising and painting up figures for that. ...Its only when you start sifting through things that you realise you have four platoons of Germans which you've never played with (and that's just the historically accurate figures). Maybe expect pictures of one of those games. ...Or we'll forget about the concept and just play with space ships or something. :P

There's an update from me anyway. Not dead, but nae pictures.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• galactic brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #649 on: July 06, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
Good luck with the technology.

Offline Splod

• scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #650 on: July 06, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
This is such an inspirational thread. I've had a squad of Empress Volksgrenadiers undercoated on my workbench for far too long. I feel some 1946ery on the way!

Offline Splod

• scientist
« Reply #651 on: July 07, 2019, 03:08:49 AM »
And Queeg did this:

Also, sorry to dig up an ancient post but I find this build SUPER-inspiring. I'm not a massive WW2 tread-head, but is that a Panther front glacis and hull welded to a Pz.IV? I realise it isn't your work, but you seem to be alright at this hack-and-slash business ;)

Offline Ballardian

• mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #652 on: July 08, 2019, 06:20:54 PM »
Splod - the kit bash is a representation of the Krupp design for an 'updated' PzIV (W1462), actually dating back to 1942, where Wa Pruef 6 decided to move to a more effective sloped glacis. The problem being that doing so increased the vehicles weight (to 28.2 tons), which would have required a re-design of the steering and braking systems - it was also concluded that the rubber tired roadwheels would fail. The idea was abandoned by Feb of 1943, where demands for higher production numbers for the PzIV meant there wasn't really time to complete the design work or necessary re-tooling for production.
 It wasn't the only PzIV re-design, in January of 1944 the Panzerkommision met to decide on specifications of a vehicle which used both PzIII and PzIV components (the snappily named Panzerkampfwagen auf Einheitsfarhgestell III/IV). The glacis slope wasn't as extreme, but by July of that year it met the same fate (Gaso-Line do a nice pre-painted model of one).

Offline Splod

• scientist
« Reply #653 on: July 09, 2019, 12:38:31 AM »
Splod - the kit bash is a representation of the Krupp design for an 'updated' PzIV (W1462), actually dating back to 1942, where Wa Pruef 6 decided to move to a more effective sloped glacis. The problem being that doing so increased the vehicles weight (to 28.2 tons), which would have required a re-design of the steering and braking systems - it was also concluded that the rubber tired roadwheels would fail. The idea was abandoned by Feb of 1943, where demands for higher production numbers for the PzIV meant there wasn't really time to complete the design work or necessary re-tooling for production.

Thanks for the info!

What I was after however was more a practical 'how would I make the thing' rather than the quasi-history behind the design ;)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• galactic brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #654 on: July 09, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
There are a few build examples back through this thread, I cannot remember how detailed they were.

Offline Ballardian

• mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #655 on: July 09, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
 Here's a pic which reveals the extent on the plasticard work to make a sloped armour PzIV. I'm not sure if the original kit is the old Rubicon PzIV (they've recently replaced their Pz IV range - they're now excellent) or the Warlord plastiv version, but it shouldn't matter much either way. As you can see, it's a significant amount of work, but far from impossible.
 (this is a Kugelblitz AA version, but the job would be the same for a standard tank)

Offline Wyrmalla

• scatterbrained genius
« Reply #656 on: July 09, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
My own builds of each design aren't that in depth or in places wholly accurate.

Of the two the design which had the single piece front glacis was the easiest to replicate. On the real vehicle the crew hatches at the front were modified a bit, but on a 28mm model nobody cares. This one mostly was just sticking plasticard over the existing vehicle instead of a load of cutting. I did add a new turret and engine at the back as well - though those aren't necessary.

With the other design I haven't actually made a Panzer IV based on it. At least not properly. Though the front portion did appear on this vehicle (which I'll eventually repaint - the paint scheme is far too complicated). You have to rebuild the front instead of just sticking plasticard over it, so its a bit more work.

As Ballardian said there's other changes on these designs than just the sloped armour - like the road wheels to deal with the weight. Practically I went with that heavily modified Panzer IV design for the second vehicle to be a fictional and probably highly impractical example of pushing the chassis to its limit.

...And kind of want to get around to repainting that damn thing brown now so it looks less stupid. Eugh, too many projects.

Offline Skullhamma

• assistant
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #657 on: July 11, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
My god... your kit bash fu is amazing!  :o